Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

So let's talk Ian Robertson if we're assesing the relative brilliance of boys and girls. Anyone here see his e-mail today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

girls = boys
    king.penguin > *

So let's talk Ian Robertson if we're assesing the relative brilliance of boys and girls. Anyone here see his e-mail today?

I didn't receive anything from him. Saw him on The Panel of all places a few weeks ago though.

yes the e-mail was in reference to that appearance. I think it only got sent to members of WISER (women in science and englineering). It was an appology for comments made ont he panel that suggested that he thought men were better than women at maths, science and engineering. He retracted that position and quoted some studies.

Feel like posting it up?

• Advertisement

no problem. Will one of the mod's delete it if it's some sort of e-mail plagarism

Dear Colleague,

It has been brought to my attention that my comments made on the RTE programme, The Panel, January 15th, where I stated that men are, on average, better at maths and engineering will have misled the public and offended women researchers working in these fields.

These comments neither reflect my personal views nor the body of evidence in recent academic research in this area (see http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11741.html, Chapter 2, Learning and Performance)which states that on average, there are no differences between men and women and their ability in maths and engineering. My view is that women should and can participate in science, engineering and maths at an equal level to men, and I would like to apologise to anyone who was offended by my remarks.

The only explanation that I can offer for making these untrue comments is that they were made in the context of a fast-moving dialogue where one could be asked without warning about anything by a group of comedians.

I am a very strong advocate of increasing women's involvement in science and engineering, having advocated for, and helped to secure funding for the Centre for Women in Science & Engineering Research (WiSER) from SFI and from Trinity College Dublin.

Please accept my apology and congratulations to the success of the WiSER Centre and my good wishes for the future.

Ian Robertson

Ian H Robertson PhD
    Dean of Research
    Trinity College Dublin
    Dublin
    Ireland

tel: +35318961634
    www.neuroscience.tcd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

hardly worth apologising over. We all know that it's just to appease the nazis. If someone got offended by something on the panel then they have too much time on their hands and are just waiting to see if they can find something that might impinge on their almighty and godlike view of themselves. Away with them!

Hmmm, work on saturday bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I know that there has been a realtively serious conversation since i posted last night, But i swear to god, boys are just idiots. Emotional ****tards.

Hmmmmm.... this

And mystery valentine boy (I'm hoping its a boy) didn't email me back.

VD Cack.

and then this....
    I know that there has been a realtively serious conversation since i posted last night, But i swear to god, boys are just idiots. Emotional ****tards.

Opinion seems based on a survey of a wide section of the population :D. Only Dec's misogyny rivals your, errrr... misterogyny. Time for mischievious matchmaking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Boys and girls are all emotional, and we're all very intelligent. Let's leave it at that, shall we?
    Dead Ed wrote:
    Hmmmmm.... this

And mystery valentine boy (I'm hoping its a boy) didn't email me back.

VD Cack.

and then this....

Opinion seems based on a survey of a wide section of the population :D . Only Dec's misogyny rivals your, errrr... misterogyny. Time for mischievious matchmaking :D

Something seems amiss there, all right. Boardsies have been known to launch dating campaigns for colleagues, but Awayindahils is about to set into the murky world of Schol exams, so it might not be appreciated.

• Advertisement

damn, there goes a perfectly good two-birds-with-one-stone wind-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newb

The "boys versus girls" stats theory:
    http://cosmicvariance.com/2005/09/22/bell-curves/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

stargal wrote:
    What does that mean?

Oh, I was suspected of plagiarising a computery type assignment.

Now it's reduced to being an accessory to plagiarism (lol at the term), ie letting someone else plagiarise my work.. I hope it gets sorted out, because the other person didn't intend to swindle anyone, and I assumed it was all above board; also, I'm a damn honest person, and something like this on my record would really, really piss me off. It's possibly the worst accusation someone could make.
    Only Dec's misogyny rivals your, errrr... misterogyny.

Apparently, the word you're looking for is misandry. Doesn't sound right to me, either..

Today's moan (more of a groan, really): I stuffed myself this evening at a restaurant. Really, really stuffed myself, and now I feel kinda sick. :-S

europerson wrote:
    Boys and girls are all emotional, and we're all very intelligent. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

Something seems amiss there, all right. Boardsies have been known to launch dating campaigns for colleagues, but Awayindahils is about to set into the murky world of Schol exams, so it might not be appreciated.

Well the boys I've been dealing with appear to be emotionally anal retentive.

And while matchmaking is loads of fun, it's only fun if you're the one doing the matchmaking, not the victim of said match making. And europerson is right i'm about to go properly underground for schols as of this coming monday, and girls are terrible for getting distracted by things like boys and shoes, and seeing as how i get distracted by shadows, it might be detrimental for my schol bid, however well intentioned.

And Dead Ed, I'm less grumpy and more somewhere between really pissed off/very weirded out/and hugely upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

stop being silly - ....in general :P also as someone who has been the subject of matchmaking on boards, aint that bad provided you take it with a bit of jest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

And while matchmaking is loads of fun, it's only fun if you're the one doing the matchmaking, not the victim of said match making.
    Seconded
    And europerson is right i'm about to go properly underground for schols as of this coming monday
    Worst. weeks. of. my. life were the schol exams, I dinna envy you.
    Crash wrote:
    stop being silly - ....in general :P also as someone who has been the subject of matchmaking on boards, aint that bad provided you take it with a bit of jest
    :eek: Are you looking at memories through some sort of filter or something? IIRC you were Mr. Freakout during the "date crash" escapade...

Now lets all get back to awayindahils boy troubles, she's obviously dyin to get it off her chest. So hils... bad timing and things only half done eh? ;)

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Now lets all get back to awayindahils boy troubles, she's obviously dyin to get it off her chest. So hils... bad timing and things only half done eh? ;)
    Is this your mystery Valentine, Hilary?

Em well there is kinda alotta stuff which crash can testify too, but it all may be resolved tomorrow, so I will let you all know then.

And the mystery valentine, if I ever find out who he is, is going to die a slow and painful death. Preferably in public.

I think I'm coming down with an illness of some sorts. And, by accident, I got on one of those stupid buses that terminate on O'Connell Street instead of their usual place, and I got soaked walking from the end of O'Connell Street to College.

Em well there is kinda alotta stuff which crash can testify too, but it all may be resolved tomorrow, so I will let you all know then.

And the mystery valentine, if I ever find out who he is, is going to die a slow and painful death. Preferably in public.

Everything is fine.

And though this is strictly in the wrong thread, I thought I'd put it here so as to wrap up the whole thing nice and neatly.

• Advertisement

I'm feeling fairly crap this week. Had a migraine last night coupled with a messed up stomach, and have been missing lectures because of said crapness. Bah.

I too am feeling pretty bad this week. I have aches and pains everywhere, and my nose feels funny. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold or a flu, but I haven't actually got it yet or something. I missed two lectures this morning, and I had to say no to a table quiz last night, which is so not my style. I can't afford to be sick, because I have tons of work to do, includng writing up an econometrics project, about which Ibid has posted on the Economics forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

I have a chest infection. It would seem that this week is the TCD Unhealthy Week.

I can't wait for the 14th of March. Holidays and the physiology exam will be over! (why are we having final exams in march, right BEFORE a holiday??)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hate gen rel, hate it hate it and I'm not going to my 9am so there.
    Not that I could make it now anyway.
    Someone kill gen rel guy with his sour face =(

bluewolf wrote:
    Hate gen rel, hate it hate it
    So you hate general relativity.. and you also hate quantum field theory?

Yet you chose to study theoretical physics...

paperclip wrote:
    I have a chest infection. It would seem that this week is the TCD Unhealthy Week.

I can't wait for the 14th of March. Holidays and the physiology exam will be over! (why are we having final exams in march, right BEFORE a holiday??)

I had that - It only lasts a couple of days so its not that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ApeXaviour wrote:
    So you hate general relativity.. and you also hate quantum field theory?

Yet you chose to study theoretical physics...
    lol because she's likely to have known enough about TP to make an educated decision before she entered into it? though there are a pile of other topics in TP anyway.........

lol because she's likely to have known enough about TP to make an educated decision before she entered into it? though there are a pile of other topics in TP anyway.........
    For a masters? After (I assume) a degree in it? Em... YES!
    though there are a pile of other topics in TP anyway.........
    I know, I do have some insight into the subject of physics...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ApeXaviour wrote:
    For a masters? After (I assume) a degree in it? Em... YES!
    The fact she is doing our UG courses in those topics pretty much illustrates she wouldn't know what they were about. TP in UCD for instance doesn't do the heavy maths aspects of QFT/QM/Gen Rel
    I know, I do have some insight into the subject of physics...
    I was referring to the maths subjects they take........

• Advertisement

The fact she is doing our UG courses in those topics pretty much illustrates she wouldn't know what they were about. TP in UCD for instance doesn't do the heavy maths aspects of QFT/QM/Gen Rel
    Ah jayzus ian... quit chopping logic to make your original argument sit. After studying it though you'd still have a fair idea of what you're getting into.
    I was referring to the maths subjects they take........
    These "maths" subjects could also be called physics and ya know it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement