Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

Nice parking by the cops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Heh, myself and Madam Editor were worried they'd seen us gaping out of the open window.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What was happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

The old dodgy page numbers, I remember it well... any issues getting it on PDF yet? or was that just us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Girlfriend is gone to Barcelona for a week, :( anyone want to volunteer to cook me dinner?

• Advertisement

xebec wrote:
    Girlfriend is gone to Barcelona for a week, :( anyone want to volunteer to cook me dinner?

The Lido....

better then Seashells and the prices are good

The Lido....

better then Seashells and the prices are good

That's a long walk from Botany Bay! Ok if I'm down in the Lloyd though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

John wrote:
    What was happening?
    Nothing interesting, I don't think.
    gilroyb wrote:
    The old dodgy page numbers, I remember it well... any issues getting it on PDF yet? or was that just us?
    If only we were that far ahead. I've spent six hours toying with an essay that has more graphs than words. Should finish it in the next half an hour or so. We've got about seven essays all edited and the like. Another two days' work until there's PDFing to be done I reckon. On the plus side I'm going to vouch it'll be the slickest looking review in years ;). If you're looking for a copy send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
    Ibid wrote:
    Heh, myself and Madam Editor were worried they'd seen us gaping out of the open window.
    How prophetic. The Security Guards were up to us about half an hour ago after the King (that'd be me) launched an air-strike (that'd be a few paper airplanes) on the infidels (that'd be the drunks beside the statue of Goldsmith).

Whoops.

Only five hours until my shift is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

If you do have any problems with the PDFs let me know and I should be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I'm glad to hear the SER's going well: it's such a great publication, and no doubt the King and Madam Editor have things very slick indeed.

• Advertisement

Grr... Not liking my computer at the moment, the only program that will connect to the web is firefox :( I need Skype back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I just applied to the Irish Daily Mail for work experience as part of my Masters.

I spent a long time weighing up the pros and cons (small newsroom, chance to get stuff published, well-paid, great experience in a few different areas - albeit in one of the most viciously right-wing papers I have ever read, with a journalistic style that I'm not a fan of and an ideology (in the British version at least) that is probably the antithesis of my own).

And then I panicked. And stopped being rational and logical about it. And started worrying about whether it's better to do work experience in a paper that you fundamentally disagree with but get the chance to do a lot of writing for, or to make tea in the Times and the Indo, occasionally subbing a piece or writing blurbs.

Oh dear god. I've just read over this post, and realised that this was possibly an exceptionally bad decision.

/goes off to bang head against the closest wall

Sounds like the right move to me Laika, actually having something of value to show at the end of your experience will be more important than working at the right place for the summer imo. It also gives you a chance to change the place from the inside out ;) And if that doesn't work you'll have solid evidence as to why you wouldn't like to work in that style of publication in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Ick. I've completely run out of steam for this schols thing, I've burned out. I feel like saying "****it" and just not showing up to my last two. (I won't, that would be really stupid, I may still get exemptions with a bit of work. But I still feel like it.)

Roll on April, ****ing hell.

Don't do it! Don't do it!

Or at least do it and take them down from the inside.

Pet wrote:
    Ick. I've completely run out of steam for this schols thing, I've burned out. I feel like saying "****it" and just not showing up to my last two. (I won't, that would be really stupid, I may still get exemptions with a bit of work. But I still feel like it.)

Roll on April, ****ing hell.

I believe in you, you can do it. I believe in you. It's good practice for final year (a whole year of schols-like studying!)

It's good practice for final year (a whole year of schols-like studying!)

Jeez. Scary..

Well, for lesser mortals it would be a year like that but I didn't bother with study until after my project was done (mainly because I didn't have time with all our assignments and all my dossing).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

John wrote:
    It's good practice for final year
    He's right

And if you don't give up you'll have no regrets about it. Also what's all this??? You seemed to have your head about you in the library earlier btw.

The panic, I don't miss it. Wait... finals ACH gotta study

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Laika wrote:
    I just applied to the Irish Daily Mail for work experience as part of my Masters.

I spent a long time weighing up the pros and cons (small newsroom, chance to get stuff published, well-paid, great experience in a few different areas - albeit in one of the most viciously right-wing papers I have ever read, with a journalistic style that I'm not a fan of and an ideology (in the British version at least) that is probably the antithesis of my own).

And then I panicked. And stopped being rational and logical about it. And started worrying about whether it's better to do work experience in a paper that you fundamentally disagree with but get the chance to do a lot of writing for, or to make tea in the Times and the Indo, occasionally subbing a piece or writing blurbs.

Oh dear god. I've just read over this post, and realised that this was possibly an exceptionally bad decision.

/goes off to bang head against the closest wall

Have you begun practicing ridiculously huge writing? Go forth and tell the nation to burn the houses of pedicurists :D. Sounds like a great laugh though

• Advertisement

John wrote:
    I believe in you, you can do it. I believe in you. It's good practice for final year (a whole year of schols-like studying!)

I read this and went "uhoh".
    John wrote:
    Well, for lesser mortals it would be a year like that but I didn't bother with study until after my project was done (mainly because I didn't have time with all our assignments and all my dossing).

Then I was happy again. Final year is tough enough just for getting the assignments done, and even then I didn't get them all done for Michaelmas term (I have a pet hate of assignments which you're expected to do within one hour/class. Much prefer take-home assignments, even if they take longer).

Still very sick, have a book review and a project to do and am expecting cack results :(

Still very sick, have a book review and a project to do and am expecting cack results :(

Ah, they're not due for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Two things are annoying me today.

Firstly, chuggers are everywhere, and, no, I do not wish to support your charity, and the next one of you who asks me in close proximity to two others will be dealt with severely. Today, from one end of Wicklow Street to the other, I was harassed by three individuals, all representing the same charity. Then, the same charity was represented in seemingly greater numbers on College Green. To top it off, I was approached by two middle-aged ladies, who asked me, "Do you ever drink cider?" "I have done," I replied oblivious to what was going on. "Great," one answered, "then, you'll want to take part in our survey. It will only take twenty minutes." Cue excuse of being in a hurry, and go where I was going.

Secondly, I had my lunch today in Café Revive, because everywhere else was too busy, and I just wanted something quick. I was sitting at a table designed for two. I had in front of me my lunch: a 'toastie', a brownie and some tea. A professional-looking, middle-aged man approached me, and enquired about the possibilty that he might sit with me, as the place had become rather busy. I consented, and we both began our lunches, without conversing (he didn't seem the type). I had my sandwich on a plate, which was accompanied by a knife and a fork, as was the case with the other man. I proceeded to eat my sandwich using my hands, which I would see as perfectly acceptable behaviour. He began to eat his with a knife and fork. He glared at me while I was eating, as if to ask, "why are you eating with your hands, heathen?" We both had something for afterwards too: I had my brownie, he a muffin. I proceeded to eat my brownie by means of lifting said brownie and biting off it. That's all right, isn't it? He, however, ate his muffin by process of breaking off lumps thereof and feeding each lump into his mouth individually. Between each ingestion, he wiped his fingers and mouth with his napkin. Again, he looked at me oddly, despite the fact that I was eating properly and neatly. Am I really uncultured or something, or was my lunch-time companion a little bit pedantic?*

*: Note also the possiblilty of paranoia on my part.

xebec wrote:
    Ah, they're not due for ages!

Don't take my stress away!

Without that, I have nothing :(

I know they aint due for a while, but I hate the thought of having to do them looming over me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

1. Formal Methods Assignment
    1. Business Plan, largely unspecified thanks to lecturer not replying to goddamn emails.
    1. Essay on Telecommunications
    1. Large Scale Programming Project on Neural Networks (A learning and teaching tool for various types of Neural Nets)

2. Weeks to do all this.

&#231 wrote: »
    1. Large Scale Programming Project on Neural Networks (A learning and teaching tool for various types of Neural Nets)

First thing that came to mind was the following:
    My CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer.

Go forth and tell the nation to burn the houses of pedicurists

I think it was a paediatrician..but, hilarious nevertheless. Ah, stupid twatwaffles - where would we be without them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Pet wrote:
    I think it was a paediatrician..but, hilarious nevertheless. Ah, stupid twatwaffles - where would we be without them?
    Indeed. We wouldn't know what righteous indignation was.

• Advertisement

[rant] 6am start for day trip to London, won't be back till about midnight, 6 hour interview in the middle[/rant]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement