Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

Best of luck with that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

go get them tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

europerson wrote:
    He began to eat his with a knife and fork. He glared at me while I was eating, as if to ask, "why are you eating with your hands, heathen?" We both had something for afterwards too: I had my brownie, he a muffin. I proceeded to eat my brownie by means of lifting said brownie and biting off it. That's all right, isn't it? He, however, ate his muffin by process of breaking off lumps thereof and feeding each lump into his mouth individually. Between each ingestion, he wiped his fingers and mouth with his napkin. Again, he looked at me oddly, despite the fact that I was eating properly and neatly. Am I really uncultured or something, or was my lunch-time companion a little bit pedantic?*

*: Note also the possiblilty of paranoia on my part.

this reminds me of a very good seinfeld episode, george started eating his snickers bars with a knife and fork. he got the idea from elaines boss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Argh is Gmail down for anyone else right now? This is headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I've been chattin on it for the last hour...

• Advertisement

Google are saying that it's down for a large 'subset' of users, but they're working to get it back up.

It's weird, but I feel really cut-off and isolated without it. This sucks.

Edit: w00t, it's back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

yeah someone told me it was down but i wouldn't believe them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i'm confused about whether lectures are on easter week...
    anyway,
    how do I get a hold of past exam papers? I don't have computer access in tcd itself and they all seem to be restricted to the local thing...

grr stupid exams

Should be here. If you don't have computer access you might want to contact ISS - contact details available here: http://isservices.tcd.ie/

What exams are you specifically looking for? I'll upload them for you if you want.

Myth wrote:
    Should be here. If you don't have computer access you might want to contact ISS - contact details available here: http://isservices.tcd.ie/

What exams are you specifically looking for? I'll upload them for you if you want.

I'm a maynooth student (im doing the course where I'm registered in nuim but I've to take a few modules in tcd...) and I assumed I wouldnt have the ability to get some kinda computer login (not that I know where the comps are anyway)
    4th year physics - qft and gen rel are what I'm looking for...thank you SO much if you'll upload them!

oh! the direct link seems to work, any other time i tried to get on tcd/local it wanted a password...
    found them, thanks =)

• Advertisement

Not sure which is which. Been awhile since I did physics.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~donalmcc/bluewolf

Edit: Have placed from 2002 - 2006 up there. After that there were more Physics papers... yeah, I dunno. Hope they're the ones.

Myth wrote:
    Not sure which is which. Been awhile since I did physics.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~donalmcc/bluewolf

Edit: Have placed from 2002 - 2006 up there. After that there were more Physics papers... yeah, I dunno. Hope they're the ones.

Argh they seem to be under the maths list - I forget you people count theoretical physics as maths... and I can't find gen rel, only qft... that's a start though, now I'm terrified
    thank you though!

Oh, the important dates thingy seems to suggest exams arent til like 20th may or so, how soon do full timetables come out?

Should be out the around the end of next week if I remember from last year. At least that's the plan - several departments have them out a lot later normally...

They won't be placed online, you'll have to wander down to the Maths Dept to have a gander at yours.

• Is there a reason why the internet in my room (house 36) wouldn't be working? Says 'limited or no connectivity'. I remember it wasn't working one time before and then was fine a day later but I need to use a site now for my essay. Is there anything I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Yeh it wasn't working for me either in the lib from about 20:10 onwards, so annoying!!!

Is there a reason why the internet in my room (house 36) wouldn't be working? Says 'limited or no connectivity'. I remember it wasn't working one time before and then was fine a day later but I need to use a site now for my essay. Is there anything I can do?

Is it something specific from a site? Cos if so, post the link and I'll send the information from the page on to you.

Edit: Hang on, that makes no sense. If your internet is down, how are you posting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭notjim

bluewolf: gen rel hasn't been taught in its current form before, there are no past papers. in principal you should be given a sample paper.

• Thanks for the offer but I need a few different sites etc. :)
    Edit: Hang on, that makes no sense. If your internet is down, how are you posting?

I'm in the laser huts so at least I can use the net but all the documents I need are on my laptop and my memory stick is in my room somewhere under piles of clothes. :(

notjim wrote:
    bluewolf: gen rel hasn't been taught in its current form before, there are no past papers. in principal you should be given a sample paper.

Bingo. See 3.6.4 : http://www.tcd.ie/Senior_Lecturer/teo/examinations.php

Myth wrote:
    Should be out the around the end of next week if I remember from last year. At least that's the plan - several departments have them out a lot later normally...

They won't be placed online, you'll have to wander down to the Maths Dept to have a gander at yours.
    Oh great... I don't even know where the maths dept is. I know where my two lecture halls are and that's it.
    Lectures are on again next week arent they...

I didn't realise GR hadnt been done before like that, my prof says they always have it as a masters course, maybe it's just recently been bumped down to undergrad? sample paper sounds good
    thanks everyone =)

• Advertisement

Maths dept: directly opposite salmon and synge. GR has been taught before as an undergraduate course in tcd, although it is commonly only taught at pg level. However, the course has changed a lot since it was taught before, enough that the past papers are unlikely to be useful.

notjim wrote:
    Maths dept: directly opposite salmon and synge. GR has been taught before as an undergraduate course in tcd, although it is commonly only taught at pg level. However, the course has changed a lot since it was taught before, enough that the past papers are unlikely to be useful.
    Ah ok thanks, I'm just grateful it still counts as a masters module for me :D
    we've had two lecturers teaching us, do they both set the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

'ROCK star Bono accepted an honorary knighthood from Britain's Queen Elizabeth yesterday with one condition - "don't call me Sir". '

Odd, seeing as he's not even entitled to be called "sir". Ah well at least he did some good - African militia now have new guns and uniforms thanks to our diminutive crusading hero. "You have my permission to call me pretty much anything, Lord of Lords, your demi-Godness, but not Sir." said our new messiah. cunt of cunts.

Just to clarify, you are entitled to a sample paper in principle, doesn't mean you will be given one unless someone asks. if you had two lecturers it makes no difference, a sample paper should be like the paper, with the same rubric, so they should work together to set one.

Am doing up the references for my project, and it's really pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Myth wrote:
    Am doing up the references for my project, and it's really pissing me off.
    I take your single essay and I raise you twenty-one.

Single, year long essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Also Ibid, you chose it.

And of course, you gave people referencing guidelines, so we can all be sure they were all submitted perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Myth wrote:
    Single, year long essay?
    260 pages of essays.
    gilroyb wrote:
    Also Ibid, you chose it.
    True that.
    And of course, you gave people referencing guidelines, so we can all be sure they were all submitted perfectly.
    Not only were there referencing guidelines, we gave people a template document and made them submit through turnitin.com to ensure they sent it through that template.

Meant feck all though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Yeah, I was just messing. I think the guidelines are just used by students to ensure they don't do anything in the correct style.

At least you can console yourself that no matter how much work you put into making it perfect, when you finally get the hard copy in your hand you'll notice at least five or six mistakes straight away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement