Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Ibid wrote:
    Not only were there referencing guidelines, we gave people a template document and made them submit through turnitin.com to ensure they sent it through that template.

Meant feck all though.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that people are essentially stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Don't get me started on TN contributors/section editors during my time as editor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Andrew 83 wrote:
    Don't get me started on TN contributors/section editors during my time as editor ;)
    I know exactly what you mean. Don't get me started on editors stealing your prized photos for the front page and sticking in an ad instead.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Or people robbing your photos from the internet and not giving you a photo credit in the paper ;)

Or people still complaining even after the credit was given in the next issue ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Was it? Well that shut me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Just want to say a belated thanks to John, Ed and espec xebec for the advice on what to do about my application to the Daily Mail for work experience, I appreciated it.

(See the whoo-hoo thread for the outcome...:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

No probs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Pav summers have arrived... and I want to cry because i'm in final year

Yeah the place was starting to get busy at around 1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

...... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

What a day. I took a few hours off, and I'm glad I did.

• It's absolute torture sitting in the library and watching everyone sitting outside the Pav in the sun. I just gave up and went for a can at 5 and didn't get any more work done. Gah I hate final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Tourists, tourists everywhere, and not a one will move.

Don't think of them as tourists.. Instead see them as positive effects on GDP...

Or else stay out of Grafton St / Front Sq

One of the above will help!

europerson wrote:
    Tourists, tourists everywhere, and not a one will move.

If you stop shaving/cutting your hair like I have, and wander around campus proclaiming how the world is coming to an end then they are sure to move rather quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Gah, brain damage, lung damage, liver damage. damn vices.

Myth wrote:
    If you stop shaving/cutting your hair like I have, and wander around campus proclaiming how the world is coming to an end then they are sure to move rather quickly.
    Ponders and declines. By the way, b.ie curious didn't notice you the other day, for when I said "there's Myth", he thought I had said "there's Smyth/Smith", and he then proceeded to question me about who Smyth/Smith is/was.

Interesting. Does that mean that you normally comment to people about llamas to the extent that he wouldn't notice you doing it again?

My rant involves the water fountains in college, and how they all seemed to be drying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Hamilton library is exceptionately difficult to study in right now. Hundreds of people seem to feel the need to scream and shout as they travel to and use the toilets in this building. Pav summer nights make me bitter when studying for finals.

• Advertisement

Oh well, Pav has been closed for the evening apparently - too many people there.

• Met a friend on the way in and they said the Pav was closed cos someone climbed a flagpole and it fell?

Myth wrote:
    Interesting. Does that mean that you normally comment to people about llamas to the extent that he wouldn't notice you doing it again?
    I really don't know. If you were an alpaca, he might have noticed you.
    My rant involves the water fountains in college, and how they all seemed to be drying up.
    Case in point: the one in outside Staircase B in the Arts Building. I spoke to my Buildings Office friend, who informed me that the slow fountains are caused by the filters being blocked, and that, if the filters aren't cleaned, the fountains will seize up completely. That's why the Staircase B fountain is slower than ever...

Met a friend on the way in and they said the Pav was closed cos someone climbed a flagpole and it fell?

It fell on someone who was taken to hospital. The Junior Dean closed the Pav.

(I was talking to a member of security earlier.)

Shocking, xebec! :D

More details?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Bearded John can do a really good impression of a crazy person.
    Met a friend on the way in and they said the Pav was closed cos someone climbed a flagpole and it fell?

There's always one.
    Gah, brain damage, lung damage, liver damage. damn vices.

Maybe you should take some painkillers.

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Shocking, xebec!

More details?

Pretty much it, really (Happened to be sitting literally 5 feet from the girl who got hit at the time) - drunken idiot tried to shimmy up the flagpole on the left (as you look at it from the cricket pitch) side of the Pav. Drunken idiot made it about 3/4 of the way up before the pole leant too far to one side and broke. The plastic part at the top that the halyards run through hit a girl square on the head. At first, she seemed fine and was laughing (to be honest, at first I was more worried about the guy, who was lying on the ground barely moving for the first short while), but then started going all pale and shaky and bleedy. She seemed OK when they hauled her off to the ambulance, but to be fair, it's hard to tell with a head wound.

While I hope neither of them are permanently injured and whatnot, I have to say that the whole thing was absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

damnit. i was just about to go for a drink when they shut it had to go to the windjammer then. Good beamish there though... hope this mess doesn't screw up future pav sessions.
    Maybe you should take some painkillers.
    I'll pass thanks. I had enough on wednesday night, no more. ever!

• Are College allowed to schedule exams past the 15th June? I was told that was the official last day of exams, so booked my J1 flight for a few days after. My head of dept said we would be having oral exams mid-June and more or less that it was my problem if I had a flight. And that that 'last date' doesn't count for oral exams. Pretty furious now, as I thought the whole point of having an official last day for exams was so people knew when they would definitely be finished? It's not as I booked for the 8th June, assuming we would be finished, I booked after the official last day thinking that would be more than grand. Especially since we're normally done in May. :mad:

Not to mention oral exams are always in early May, before the written ones, so no reason to think they would be that late. The dept could have had the courtesy to mention this sooner. It's as if they think everyone can just stay in Dublin all summer. It's probably grand, since the 15th is a Friday and I can't see them doing exams later than that but it's still a pain. I've to pay extension rates for my room from 1st June which I really can't afford. Anyway, surely they're not allowed to schedule past 15 June right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

The rule is that "annual examinations" must take place within that period (which as you rightly say concludes in June on the 15th this year, this date having being approved by the Board and published). I suppose a lot depends on whether this particular oral exam is considered part of the annual (i.e. end-of-year) exams; normally forms of continuous assessment take place within the lecture term for a given course (and the College Almanack, part of the Calendar, sets out the general end of lectures, as well as the various exceptions (e.g. some of the health science courses). It's worth dropping a line to Rob in the SU (or Paul in the GSU, if you're postgrad) or to tutor/whoever and they might be able to take it up directly with the Senior Lecturer's office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement