Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Rant: I'd really like to get locked in the pav, but

1)It's closed, along with all the pubs, stupid religious holiday, and
    2)Everyone has ****ed off home for Easter, so it's dead here in halls.

Pffh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

^^...and so the post exam boredom sets in.

Probably best it's a dry day. After 5 months of intense study last year (schols then annuals), the drink very very much filled, and continued filling that gaping hole left after the last exam.

• The rule is that "annual examinations" must take place within that period (which as you rightly say concludes in June on the 15th this year, this date having being approved by the Board and published). I suppose a lot depends on whether this particular oral exam is considered part of the annual (i.e. end-of-year) exams; normally forms of continuous assessment take place within the lecture term for a given course (and the College Almanack, part of the Calendar, sets out the general end of lectures, as well as the various exceptions (e.g. some of the health science courses). It's worth dropping a line to Rob in the SU (or Paul in the GSU, if you're postgrad) or to tutor/whoever and they might be able to take it up directly with the Senior Lecturer's office.

OK thanks educat. I'm a final year Arts student. I don't see how they can possibly be allowed to schedule exams after the 15th, especially when the timetables come out so late, when most people have already made summer plans. Sure, the exams will probably be the week of the 11-15th anyway - really annoying but they're within their rights to do that. I'll talk to the dept on Tuesday to see if they can tell me a date. If they try to make it after the 15th I'll talk to Rob!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

got so sick that i had to leave congress, only just being to appricate the finers points of standing upright without feeling very odd now. what a way to end schols.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Poor Hils :( But we'll always have Amsterdam! And the next month in front of the Pav!

Topic: Marketing project grades are now posted online. I hate her so very, very much...all that damn work for a II.2? She's a dead woman...

• Advertisement

Uhh..I've been feeling really sick for the past few days too, it sucks.

Worse, it's making me extremely moany. Pffh! I'm a terrible patient.

Hungover. Ow.

• Despite checking over my dissertation a million times before I printed it, I just noticed about 10 mistakes in the first few pages when I was having a look at it there. Why do you only see mistakes when its too late? It's bound now and there's nothing I can do except correct it as best I can with a black pen. :( Some of its really bad though, like I totally forgot to change things or remove things. How didn't I notice before it printed???? I'm going to have to do another all nighter now, with checking my whole dissertation and finishing my two essays *goes to make very very strong coffee* ahhh i'm tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I only noticed a spelling mistake in my thesis after it was corrected. I mispelt something fundamental in one of the section title, oops!

Same thing happened to me. First page I see this big (#REF) where I was supposed to put in a reference. Stopped me reading the rest of it, what's the point? You can't do anything about it...

Moan... hungover, sleep-deprived, very little work done today. Gonna have to seriously cut back on the alcohol consumption, it does not lend itself well a month before finals. ACH! I wish people would stop pressuring me to go out, though last night was of my own volition. delerium

• Advertisement

Apologies. I'm a bad influence, but I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

wah long weekend over, back to study...

there *are* undergrad lectures today arent there...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

bluewolf wrote:
    there *are* undergrad lectures today arent there...?

Yep.

xebec wrote:
    Yep.
    cool thanks, it's odd having different hols between here and nuim, I get so confused
    one day I'm just going to show up on an empty campus or something

xebec wrote:
    Yep.

Not for all undergrads! Of course, there's that little thing called study, but having no lectures is always good...

Great.. it is a nice day, there's a cricket match on.. and I'm stuck doing econometrics :(

On top of the that, I'm stuck wearing quite a warm hat indoors because my hair is cack ;)

Myth wrote:
    Not for all undergrads! Of course, there's that little thing called study, but having no lectures is always good...
    4th mathsphysics...

study pft... >.>
    I don't know how I'll ever get a first anyway
    damn provisional offer!

nice day? its windy and grey outside... I couldnt decide if I should wear a proper coat or a light jacket, the weather is confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

On top of the that, I'm stuck wearing quite a warm hat indoors because my hair is cack ;)
    I for one promise I won't look in your window to see your hair.

I'm fairly sure you can take it off. What you need is a hood. Maybe you should get you (and others?) garments of clothing that have hoods.

As I am in the Ussher, I am forced to conceal the mop...

And said garments would arrive sooner if a certain other counter signatory would actually sign the bloody cheque!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

i have an essay due tomorrow which i havn't started yet and feel no particular desire to. ugh.

• Advertisement

Bollocks! I forgot to pay my third rental thingy, and now I have to get my keycard renewed every day until the payment goes through.

Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

bluewolf wrote:
    damn provisional offer!
    where? doing what?

where? doing what?
    queens belfast, "undifferentiated research student until we decide if it's a phd or mphil" quantum info

if I get a first
    a first! :rolleyes:
    i'm too lazy for firsts

and I havent a bloody clue what's going on in qft or gr
    not that missing 2 weeks helped =/
    (though in my defense I have an nuim module that's fully continuous assessment so that gets my attention...)

bluewolf wrote:
    queens belfast, "undifferentiated research student until we decide if it's a phd or mphil" quantum info
    Uh bit random, do they have the funding for a full phd or are they trying to get it and have only fallback funding for a masters?(the most common reason i've seen for stuff like that)
    if I get a first
    After the other thread given i know how lazy some of your class m8's are who get reasonable results i'd be surprised if ye didn't, though i have to admit i might laugh a little ;)
    and I havent a bloody clue what's going on in qft or gr
    not that missing 2 weeks helped =/
    Awell, if ye had questions in qft i'd ask sergey, very nice guy(also if ye were looking at other phd opertunities he always seems to be looking for students).

for the sake of ranting:
    stupid SATA controller having fits and wiping out partition data off disks, 700 quid upgrade sooner than planned....bahhhhhhhhhh

Uh bit random, do they have the funding for a full phd or are they trying to get it and have only fallback funding for a masters?(the most common reason i've seen for stuff like that)
    Yeah supervisor dude is totally cool, says there's the funding, I read the postgrad handbook they sent me, they apparently always do things that way with everyone, noone inititally registers as phd... odd...
    After the other thread given i know how lazy some of your class m8's are who get reasonable results i'd be surprised if ye didn't, though i have to admit i might laugh a little ;)
    I got a 2-1 in my degree and I even studied. A little. Some of the modules.
    And made up my own bose-einstein stats when I was stuck >.>
    No but qft I just looked at a past paper and it was like DERIVE E.M. USING QFT -GO! and I'm like whaaa I hate e.m. I never learned it properly or anything
    so yeah a first, no way
    plus I did badly last year so I'd not only have to get a first this year, it'd have to be a high-ish first

are they really lazy?? they all seem to know exactly what theyre doing despite the usual "oh yeah this is hard" stuff, I actually feel dumb
    Awell, if ye had questions in qft i'd ask sergey, very nice guy(also if ye were looking at other phd opertunities he always seems to be looking for students).
    Yeah he's teaching us and he's lovely but like you guys don't seem to have the whole "wander into lecturer's office randomly and ask for help" thing going on like we do (also, I dont know where offices are) and it's a tad intimidating... my old lecturer in nuim said to talk to sergey too though... but I'd be asking him qs from stuff we shoulda done in october...
    as for phd in trinity, no offence to you guys, but there's no way in hell I'd ever go back...

bluewolf wrote:
    Yeah supervisor dude is totally cool, says there's the funding, I read the postgrad handbook they sent me, they apparently always do things that way with everyone, noone inititally registers as phd... odd...
    Oh is that all? we all start in that boat, i'm on the masters register in tcd atm, one normally applies to change registrars after a year or so. have to put in a transfer document or something, don't have to do it after a year but i think ye have to be on the phd registrar a minimum of a year before finishing....
    I got a 2-1 in my degree and I even studied. A little. Some of the modules.
    And made up my own bose-einstein stats when I was stuck >.>
    No but qft I just looked at a past paper and it was like DERIVE E.M. USING QFT -GO! and I'm like whaaa I hate e.m. I never learned it properly or anything
    so yeah a first, no way
    plus I did badly last year so I'd not only have to get a first this year, it'd have to be a high-ish first
    You sound as bad as me for lack of motivation..... i've seen people spring from 2.2's to silly high firsts taking those subjects so it is doable. infact someone got 100% in calins course last year so i wouldn't put requring a high first put ye off in those topics.... (iirc the rate of firsts in qft is extreemly high). though you might i guess want to look at EM before the exam ;)
    Yeah he's teaching us and he's lovely but like you guys don't seem to have the whole "wander into lecturer's office randomly and ask for help" thing going on like we do and it's a tad intimidating... my old lecturer in nuim said to talk to sergey too though... but I'd be asking him qs from stuff we shoulda done in october...
    Well i'd probally email him first, though i doubt he'd care if you just dropped in and asked him questions on more or less anything at all. And i guess to the average person we don't really do that as much as even the other depts in tcd do....but it'd probally take 10x less time to just ask him rather than have to stab away at it trying to figure it out yerself. For GR ye could ask conor houghton, he taught GR last year n the year before, very approachable guy(he'll be the lecturer wandering around in a think geek t-shirt)
    as for phd in trinity, no offence to you guys, but there's no way in hell I'd ever go back...
    Jeeeez, the maths dept in tcd isn't that bad... though i was happy to get out of it...

You sound as bad as me for lack of motivation..... i've seen people spring from 2.2's to silly high firsts taking those subjects so it is doable. infact someone got 100% in calins course last year so i wouldn't put requring a high first put ye off in those topics.... (iirc the rate of firsts in qft is extreemly high). though you might i guess want to look at EM before the exam ;)
    For EM in final year, I learned one proof from the whole course. One. Then I forgot it again. That's how much EM I know. And I've absolutely no idea how to derive bloody maxwell equs from some action integral. even though I'm sure it's basic.
    i'm not surprised the rate is high, with all the background subjects everyone takes in maths. they all certainly seem to know what they're doing, i'm just the stupid one =p
    Well i'd probally email him first, though i doubt he'd care if you just dropped in and asked him questions on more or less anything at all. And i guess to the average person we don't really do that as much as even the other depts in tcd do....but it'd probally take 10x less time to just ask him rather than have to stab away at it trying to figure it out yerself. For GR ye could ask conor houghton, he taught GR last year n the year before, very approachable guy(he'll be the lecturer wandering around in a think geek t-shirt)
    True, I should just go ask... I was asking my nuim guy before though, might try him again, he's very nice
    Jeeeez, the maths dept in tcd isn't that bad... though i was happy to get out of it...
    Well having samson and the gr guy last semester obviously didn't help, but the campus itself and the buildings and just... I just don't like the place. Maybe it's cos I'm so used to nuim is all.
    the people in my class are lovely though, I'll say that.

bluewolf wrote:
    For EM in final year, I learned one proof from the whole course. One. Then I forgot it again. That's how much EM I know. And I've absolutely no idea how to derive bloody maxwell equs from some action integral. even though I'm sure it's basic.
    Part of me hates that I know and can do what you're talking about. Mostly cos E.M. sucks donkey balls...

And this bloody italiano comp physicist teaches it here in final year. No doubt, THE most "WTF?" course I've ever ever done, because of him.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:
    i'm not surprised the rate is high, with all the background subjects everyone takes in maths. they all certainly seem to know what they're doing, i'm just the stupid one =p
    It is true that the only people who take QFT from maths tend to know what they are doing, though its compulsary for TP iirc, so they probably just faking knowing what they are doing :p
    True, I should just go ask... I was asking my nuim guy before though, might try him again, he's very nice
    Well whatever's handiest, though it probally helps to ask the guy setting the exam as many questions as possible might get a hint of what'll come up or even what LOD he expects in sln's....
    Well having samson and the gr guy last semester obviously didn't help, but the campus itself and the buildings and just... I just don't like the place. Maybe it's cos I'm so used to nuim is all.
    Samson and Calin arn't really walking billboards for maths in tcd alright :) . It is rather emm clostraphobic compared to nuim(very nice campus was out there for summit before xmas), certainly a hell of alot more 'green' out there... Though one thing about tcd is being in the city what the campus is like doesn't really effect ye as much as it would else where, the nearest exit isn't ever far away ;) . I wouldn't put choosing based on the campus high on my list for place to do phd, but thats just me :) Queens is a nice place too anyhoo
    the people in my class are lovely though, I'll say that.
    very tactfull, considering some of them read this :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement