Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

http://www.tcd.ie/maps

Though 'sports hall' appears to be the same location as 'Luce Hall', just on a different floor. Check the Exams thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The Flat Earth Society are having an open meeting in half an hour and I only found out now :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ibid wrote:
    The Flat Earth Society are having an open meeting in half an hour and I only found out now :(.

There's a flat earth society in TCD? Please tell me you're joking or they're being ironic or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

John wrote:
    There's a flat earth society in TCD? Please tell me you're joking or they're being ironic or something.
    Ironic? No this is very serious,
    The Earth is a flat disc accelerating upwards at 1g (9.8m/s-2) along with every star, sun and moon in the universe. Giving us this impression that some radical theorists have decided (ludicrously) is as a result of virtual "graviton" particle exchange. When really it's basic newtonian inertia, none of this BS "action at a distance" lark.

And no this doesn't counter einstein's special relativity (where we cannot travel faster than light). How? Well we can keep accelerating but at any instantaneous moment in our frame of reference our velocity will be zero, but still undergoing acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

emm then how come if we launch a probe out it doesn't suddenly drop off the side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

much like a bowling lane, it has bumpers when needed due to innacurate aiming.

John wrote:
    It all started one afternoon in October 2006 (or, well, around this time 160 years ago) when myself and europerson were in a Monetary & Welfare Economics lecture with the marvellous Prof. Antoin Murphy FTCD. He was gauging the intellect of the class and asked for examples of economic journals. Amid the deafening silence, the two adventurers looked at each other and decided to give the class a little bit of academic weight. "Economica" declared I. "Econometrica!" declared europerson. "Very good" declared the esteemed professor whose main focus is on the history of monetary thought. "Any others?" he asked. Silence boomed around the hall once more. Myself and europerson had done our part but contemplated going further. Half in jest, the brave Meath man proposed "The Journal of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland." Prof. Murphy had less esteem for this producers of this publication, quipping "Yes, also known as The Journal of the Flat Earth Society."

And so, when it came to pass that the SSISI would celebrate the 160th anniversary of their formation in Trinity College, Dublin, in Trinity College, Dublin, Ibid would refer to it as an open meeting of the Flat Earth society.

However in a further cruel twist of fate, it transpired that Ibid did know what day it was and discovered that indeed he did not miss said meeting yesterday, for it is being held as he types and he only realised that now :o.

The fact that I found an article by Hal Varian on hoodies here doesn't make this Guinness taste any less muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

emm then how come if we launch a probe out it doesn't suddenly drop off the side?
    How do you know it doesn't? Have you launched a probe out? Do you know anyone that does this startrek stuff? You send a "probe" upwards and it has to accelerate at a greater rate than us. Who launches a "probe" sideways anyway? Okay say you did for the sake of argument; then when it passes the great ice-wall surrounding the edge, you wouldn't see it. You think that's because it's gone around the other side of the earth, and you'd be correct except that the earth is a disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm so over Windows XP. ****'s sake. All it ever does is freeze, crash, or decide to run virus scans or some **** like that, right when I'm in the middle of editing a video or trying to upload photos from my camera. And I'm ALWAYS having to reboot after installing yet another goddamn update. And always with the ****ing drivers and firmware updates.

ENOUGH.

Roll on Macbooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

ApeXaviour wrote:
    it has to accelerate at a greater rate than us..
    Relative to what, overall? Remember, the earth is flat, so if you launch it off the edge of the world it has a greater chance of leaving the atmosphere and entering the ether. The ether being Jesus' superglue which hardened 6000 years ago.

on another note, I've developed a strange fascination with nascar, sculpted a moustache (the statue was always there, I just had to remove the marble) and have been drinking for some time. I don't think jeff gordon is gonna finish this race. he's runnin' hot and loose, cleetus.

Ah, Jeff won! "Ah don't think ah've ever seen smoke a' comin' outta the tyres and the radiator at the same time". Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Ibid wrote:
    Half in jest, the brave Meath man proposed "The Journal of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland." Prof. Murphy had less esteem for this producers of this publication, quipping "Yes, also known as The Journal of the Flat Earth Society."
    :o What a lecture!

Tits. I have a moustache. Not allowed to shave it off till tomorrow because I have to look like the eighties for Saxon this evening. Also, the first lady wants to see it so she can mock me! I also wasted three hours of my life watching rednecks going around in circles.

There is some absolute ****ing eejit in the Lecky today who has a bell on her jacket. Cue her putting it on, JINGLE. Then she's too warm, JINGLE. Then whenever she moves, JINGLE.

Yes, she obviously is not a cat.

Myth wrote:
    There is some absolute ****ing eejit in the Lecky today who has a bell on her jacket. Cue her putting it on, JINGLE. Then she's too warm, JINGLE. Then whenever she moves, JINGLE.

Leper? swiss moo-cow?

Myth wrote:

I wonder if she's the same twatwaffle who used to wear a scarf with windchime thingies hanging out of it? Sitting downstairs near the BESS books? If so, dear god, that woman needs such a slap, what a ****ing dingbat. I came dangerously close to beating her to death with my statistics textbook during schols.

Myth wrote:

What are you doing in the Lecky??

Its your own fault for going into that D&G infested swamp

iainnash wrote:
    What are you doing in the Lecky??

Its your own fault for going into that D&G infested swamp
    Geography, geology and statistics are all based down there. :(

Borrow one of Ibids trolleys.. load up and head off!

Pet wrote:
    statistics
    Yeah, statistics is a funny one: it doesn't seem to fit in neatly anywhere. The statistics books I've been using in the last three years have been all over the place.
    iainnash wrote:
    Borrow one of Ibids trolleys.. load up and head off!
    Potentially embarrassing when Ruth Potterton comes over to you and asks you why you're not shelving properly.

• Advertisement

Pet wrote:
    Geography, geology and statistics are all based down there. :(
    330.18 FTW.

Ibid, you joining me and europerson for some micro revision?

Sorry I've spent the last couple of days moping around my house. I'll be in tomorrow if anyone wants to trade knowledges.

Would be on for that ok.. I learn more in a group.

Hows study going for you anyway?

iainnash wrote:
    Hows study going for you anyway?
    Not great.

Let's not turn this thread into a conversation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

poor ibid is very up and down these days. must be the sunshine.

Bollocks!!!! I left my ****ing library books go overdue again!!

GAH.

I've just lost Ibid. He was wandering around the library carrying this and this.

Pamela's deadly. Just deadly. What's wrong with carrying that around?

• Advertisement

europerson wrote:
    I've just lost Ibid. He was wandering around the library carrying this and this.
    It was quite enjoyable when the two random BESS boys returned to find them on their table.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement