Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

I got Mine with AIB, Its not interest free, but its at a low rate ( cant remember off the top of my head )

what was that story about "robbing peter to pay paul" you told me and me and indy? another example of ur bull ****ting?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Diffrent loan tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I am absolutely dying of a cold... Very woozy, equations not making sense, working at about 20% efficiency. I've never been sick during exams before. What the fook kind of rotten luck is this to get it during finals.
    Sorry to hear that, that really sucks. Get hepped up on as much Lemsip, Neurofen Plus, Sinutab, vitamin c tablets and anything else that you think could possibly help and give it your best shot. Hope it works out ok for you.
    crash wrote:
    Bleh, emailed the local returning officer about getting a public pass to the count, and the prick hasnt gotten back to me - democracy at its best :P
    I was told that you can't get public passes; every candidate receives 15 passes to give out to whoever they want (usually campaign workers) and that's it (I'm open to correction on this, but it seemed pretty set in stone). Although apparently you may be able to get in if you turn up in the afternoon, since some people who've been there since morning time tend to head home around then.
    Pet wrote:
    Anyone know if it's possible to get student loans in Ireland? (Ie not the standard travel ones)

Am thinking of repeating the year, and need money.
    Are the exams not going well? :(

Yeah KP is right, you can get them from everywhere and they usually give you a discount of around 1% APR from standard loans (mine is 10.5% from BoI. No, that's a lie, I'm not actually sure what it is, but it's somewhere around 10-12%).

It's actually v easy to get them (as long as you don't walk in and say you plan to spend the money on nights out and have no part-time job to pay back the money).

My rant: I'm ridiculously nervous about the election result tomorrow. I'm jittery, have butterflies in my stomach and keep checking random news sites just in case some news comes in on an exit poll. Which is unlikely given that it's almost 3 in the morning. And the first poll won't be out until Morning Ireland starts in about 5 hours. But still. God bless neuroses.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

first exit poll is due at 7am according to rte

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

TBH this loan has been a pain in the arse. I had to get it but it's really just put me off stuff. I'm not going to tell you what to do but failing is rarely the intelligent option.

I've already failed, and sure, I can easily pass in supplementals with a bit of work, but that means I won't get my first choice. I'll probably have a good, long think about it over the summer. There are advantages and disadvantages to repeating, but on the whole, aside from the money factor, and (extenuating circumstances notwithstanding) having also repeated first year (and its consequences for my CV/academic transcript), it's not that big a deal..it's not like school or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭balzarywex

can only answer 3 out of 5 sections...for my exm in 4 hours...BAH!!!:mad:

Go for ecology, animal diversity or molecular and cellular if you haven't covered them. Especially the latter, it sounds crap but it's marked fairly nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

Why, how do they mark it?
    I'm hoping bacterial structure will come up. Also Beadle and Tatum's stuff. Oh and a smidgen of photosynthesis. What think ye?

paperclip wrote:
    Why, how do they mark it?
    I'm hoping bacterial structure will come up. Also Beadle and Tatum's stuff. Oh and a smidgen of photosynthesis. What think ye?

I'm happy. Stuff came up that I knew. I did 4 questions. Botched the last one a bit but it didn't matter anyway.
    Roll on next wednesday, 4 more exams out of the way by then and I'll be on the little train home with only 2 more hellishtorture things ahead of me.

Does anyone have any useful tips for the chem exams ahead? Pet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

There's no way I can afford to repeat 4th year though so i must soldier on!
    Can you even do that if you've sat the exams?
    Laika wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, that really sucks. Get hepped up on as much Lemsip, Neurofen Plus, Sinutab, vitamin c tablets and anything else that you think could possibly help and give it your best shot. Hope it works out ok for you.
    Cheers laika, it's not as bad today, thank god. Have been loading up on garlic, vit C, and the best cold drug ever: benelyn day & night (the daytime part is a mix of paracetamol and pseudoephidrine).

But moan... the exam today was an absolute lot of crapology. As bad as it could have been. One course I knew like the back of my hand and I swear the lecturer actually went out of his way to pick the exact two parts I knew least about. Hopefully can bring the average back up on monday and wednesday... hopefully.

Also, I'm now officially immune to caffeine. Damnit

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any useful tips for the chem exams ahead? Pet?

HAHAHAHA. If ever there was someone to never ask about chemistry, it's definitely me. All I can say is, unlike the other first year subjects, chemistry is as hard as you think it is.

Pet wrote:
    HAHAHAHA. If ever there was someone to never ask about chemistry, it's definitely me. All I can say is, unlike the other first year subjects, chemistry is as hard as you think it is.

Hey! Not helping!

• Can you even do that if you've sat the exams?

No I think you have to drop out before you finish them.

Why can you not repeat 4th year though? Like many things in college it seems really unfair. I've worked hard for 4 years, I'm having a really bad few weeks and because I can't afford to drop out when I still might do OK, I'm stuck with whatever grade I get? You can repeat the other years so why is 4th year any different? Just seems ludicrous that you can drop out the day before exams and repeat but if you actually try to sit them you can't. This has to be the most inflexible college in the world. Maybe not being able to sit repeats in September is OK but I don't see the logic in doing the entire year again. I could have repeated 3rd year and I did my French finals then. :mad: Ughhh. I wish it was like in Spain where whatever exam you fail just gets carried on to the next exam session and you get about 10 chances to pass. :D My flatmates last year were on year 6 of a 5 year course and still had more to go. That's the life :D

Why can you not repeat 4th year though?

You can. I can't for the life of me remember the official line on it, but you only get 1 (good) shot at an honours degree - i.e. the exams. If I had to repeat 4th year, I could compete for a pass BAI degree, as opposed to the honours one I'm looking to get this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭balzarywex

hehe best bio essay paper ever!:D evolution of first multicellular organism - boo yeah!:D

chemistry......hard????? gahoiy!!! ah well iv over 20pc from mcqs and labs methinks....

on the rant/bitch/moan side of things, stupid noise and music right outside RDS during exam..' the examiners will be informed'. hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

balzarywex wrote:
    on the rant/bitch/moan side of things, stupid noise and music right outside RDS during exam..' the examiners will be informed'. hmmmm....

Does anyone actually know what they mean by this???

lost_soul wrote:
    Does anyone actually know what they mean by this???

That the people marking the exam will be told that it was difficult to concentrate in the middle of the exam? If you don't trust them, pop off an e-mail yourself to you lecturer if you feel you didn't do the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

For everyone I know that's repeating final year they never took the exams. So you really can't fail and then attempt to try again. Nor can you do them, then realise your result isn't what you want and try again. However, I'm sure with genuine medical/sympathetic reasons there would be something done (they might just raise your mark to a pass.

However, in UCD (to the best of my knowledge) you can fail 4th year and repeat it.

I think it is unfair for the college not to let people repeat if they just hugely **** up due to their own laziness, undiagnosed depression or whatever. However, I wouldn't like to see the situation of people repeating so they get a 1st as opposed to a high 2.2 or something like that.

Gah. I'm staying up all day to reset my sleep cycle, and it's round about now that I start to get reallllllly moody. Someone was whistling outside a while ago, and I was seconds away from leaning out the window and roaring at them to stfu..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Oh wow... what a horrible exam. General paper 5 can go to hell! I knew it would be hard but that was ridiculous, compared to past papers at least.

Bye-bye 1st! unless by some miracle can somehow get 100% in the last paper. Hahah yeah right.

This sucks so much it's gone beyond the point not being funny to it being hilarious in a manic psychotic laughter way

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Oh wow... what a horrible exam. General paper 5 can go to hell! I knew it would be hard but that was ridiculous, compared to past papers at least.

Bye-bye 1st! unless by some miracle can somehow get 100% in the last paper. Hahah yeah right.

This sucks so much it's gone beyond the point not being funny to it being hilarious in a manic psychotic laughter way

That sucks. But you never know, it may have gone better than you thought. It wasn't a MCQ, was it?

What was it on?

Here's a hug for you,hope you feel better soon!:o

A huge gigantic meh to my exam today. The exam paper was changed to add a compulsary question too. Why I oughta...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

You should talk to the education officer ;)

Hah! I've actually already done that.

See? Always two million steps ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i didnt even notice the compulsory question until afterwards! just as well i had answered it anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

wtf, the library was nice enough to now tell me my books were overdue, but didn't feel the need to remind me the renew date was coming up. That's €5 to herr libraryman now.

Cowboys Ted, they shaft you every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

TimAy wrote:
    wtf, the library was nice enough to now tell me my books were overdue, but didn't feel the need to remind me the renew date was coming up. That's €5 to herr libraryman now.

Cowboys Ted, they shaft you every time.

No email from them about 3 days before they're due? Not up to Library to remind IMO, they provide books not alarm clocks.

xebec wrote:
    No email from them about 3 days before they're due? Not up to Library to remind IMO, they provide books not alarm clocks.

Yar. As far as I know, the e-mail system was introduced purely as a convenience - the system to rely on is the stamp on the front of the book.

Still, if you talk nice to a librarian they might let you off. Or, as a friend of mine did, dress up like a clown. He got around €15 worth of fines taken away then.

The system works!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Myth wrote:
    Yar. As far as I know, the e-mail system was introduced purely as a convenience - the system to rely on is the stamp on the front of the book.

Which is out of date as soon as you renew online. If they offer online services (like renewing books) then their email notification system should be kept in order. Or they should give you a stamp with the book to keep it updated yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

ooh, the alcohol, it makes me eyes bleed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement