Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

My flight to San Francisco was actually this morning, not tomorrow morning like all three of us thought.

Looks like I'll be staying in New York. Which isn't really a bad thing, because it will be so much easier to find a home and a job here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

gah?

Are you on your own there?

b.ie polar wrote:
    My flight to San Francisco was actually this morning, not tomorrow morning like all three of us thought.

Looks like I'll be staying in New York. Which isn't really a bad thing, because it will be so much easier to find a home and a job here.

ouch.. New York is nice though,

You on skype?

Are you on your own there?
    There's three of us. And not one of us realised that our flights were on the 2nd. Heh.
    iainnash wrote:
    You on skype?
    Is that some sort of contraceptive pill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Kevinly_

so you're not going to go to san fran at all then? can you not get on a later flight? Skype is a program you can use to talk to people over the internet.

• Advertisement

Kevinly_ wrote:
    so you're not going to go to san fran at all then? can you not get on a later flight? Skype is a program you can use to talk to people over the internet.
    I could pay for another flight, but after sitting down and going through the available options we decided to stay in New York. We didn't have a place to live in San Fran after searching for more than a month, but I've already got three offers in the two days I've spent searching in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

b.ie polar wrote:
    Is that some sort of contraceptive pill?
    I laughed out loud...

I miss europerson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

europerson wrote:
    I laughed out loud...
    Me too.
    b.ie polar wrote:
    I miss europerson
    Me too.

It's an ugh kinda day.

Feeling crap.

Crappy weather.

Crappy mood.

Down, down, down.

• Advertisement

It's an ugh kinda day.

Feeling crap.

Crappy weather.

Crappy mood.

Down, down, down.

It's an ugh kinda summer. I know it's typical that the weather gets crap when you finish your exams, but this is kinda taking the piss.

Myth wrote:
    It's an ugh kinda summer. I know it's typical that the weather gets crap when you finish your exams, but this is kinda taking the piss.

Not if you do schols...:rolleyes:

But yeah, the weather is making my crappy mood worse.

The world isn't all about money.

I'm not sure of everything I did last night, but I know for certain all of it was bad, most of it was illegal, and some of it could have long-term ramifications. Boo-urns.

b.ie polar wrote:
    I miss europerson.
    Ibid wrote:
    Me too.

Awww... I miss you both too.
    b.ie polar wrote:
    I'm not sure of everything I did last night, but I know for certain all of it was bad, most of it was illegal, and some of it could have long-term ramifications. Boo-urns.

I'm sure it wasn't that bad. If long-term ramifications mean being incarcerated in the US or having a criminal record and not being able to get a job, then that is very bad, however.

I miss europerson

I feel left out... :(

europerson wrote:
    I'm sure it wasn't that bad. If long-term ramifications mean being incarcerated in the US or having a criminal record and not being able to get a job, then that is very bad, however.
    Nah, its more of a 'I have to live with this person for the next 3 months so I probably shouldn't have been acting the way I was' sort of a deal.
    iainnash wrote:
    I feel left out
    I miss iain's hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

b.ie polar wrote:
    I miss iain's hair.
    He does have great hair...

edit:
    Okay lads I'm gettin complaints. Let's chill with the esotericism

Some people need to get a life.

These little assaults on the community that has grown up on this forum really annoy me. So much so that I'm going off on a sulk. Good luck to yis all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

b.ie polar wrote:
    Some people need to get a life.

These little assaults on the community that has grown up on this forum really annoy me. So much so that I'm going off on a sulk. Good luck to yis all.
    Little assaults?! A regular poster to this forum reported the posts because three of you were having an in-conversation on this thread and excluding anyone else who might be reading it. Yes the Skype comment was vaguely funny but most of the past few posts have been unnecessary and skip-worthy for anyone who doesn't know you.

It's nothing about getting a life or 'assaulting' the community, it's about being aware that although some people know each other here, a lot don't, and it's very off-putting to read posts like the ones you guys have put up in the last day. Use gmail chat, msn or skype or something, but please, take it off boards.

Running off to see Die Hard so this isn't as comprehensive as I'd like, but hope you see where I'm coming from on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Oh my.

• Advertisement

Apologies to anyone affected by the impenetrability or supposed esotericism of the last few posts on this thread. I think from the point of view of Ibid, b.ie, iain and myself, the responses to one another were a humorous attempt to fuel the common misconception to other users of the TCD forum that we're some sort of inseparable group of acquaintances in some sort of symbiotic, dependent relationship with one another*, rather than an actual attempt at conversation. While the practice of holding conversations, per se, on Boards is to be frowned upon, I often find it difficult not to respond to posts on particular threads such as this, because the personal and emotive nature of ranting, bitching or moaning is such that it elicits sympathy, concurrence, advice, etc. from other users, many of whom, admittedly, are acquainted with one another. Anyhow, end of conversation and discussion, agus sin é.

*: This may, indeed, be very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I know I expressed my views on this fairly recently, but to recap: we come on a message board to chat and make friends. There's a whole thread devoted to in-jokey boards awards and a group get-together. I really think that drawing arbitrary lines between what is and isn't acceptable discourse between people on here can only end badly, with people deterred from actually expressing personal sentiments or engaging in any kind of bonding, both of which are key factors in making this an actual community beyond simple "this is what's happening in TCD right now" posts. Why do we have bitch and woohoo and "What are you listening to?" threads if not to encourage personal bonding? I really don't think "I miss you" "I miss you guys too" qualifies as something so esoteric and cliquey that it would be off-putting to new members - if anything, being actively discouraged from posting anything related to the people you already know is more likely to reduce posting both from new people and from older posters (as evidenced above).

And as you pointed out last time we had this chat, I could very easily dig up examples of times you've made far more esoteric comments about liking "Andrew" as a name, or gotten into a dispute with a member of the young PDs about what may or may not have happened at a dinner you both went to years ago. Posting to each other as friends is something that'll naturally happen in situations like this. Boards in general is full of in-jokes and personal bits of chat. Really, I think you're reacting far too harshly to a very minor infraction of the rules of the boards, an infraction that you've made yourself on more than one occasion.

europerson wrote:
    Apologies to anyone affected by the impenetrability or supposed esotericism of the last few posts on this thread. I think from the point of view of Ibid, b.ie, iain and myself, the responses to one another were a humorous attempt to fuel the common misconception to other users of the TCD forum that we're some sort of inseparable group of acquaintances in some sort of symbiotic, dependent relationship with one another*, rather than an actual attempt at conversation. While the practice of holding conversations, per se, on Boards is to be frowned upon, I often find it difficult not to respond to posts on particular threads such as this, because the personal and emotive nature of ranting, bitching or moaning is such that it elicits sympathy, concurrence, advice, etc. from other users, many of whom, admittedly, are acquainted with one another. Anyhow, end of conversation and discussion, agus sin é.
    Thanks for explaining that europerson, and sincere apologies if what I said came across as being overly harsh towards you - it wasn't my intention. I appreciate where you're coming from on this one. You're right about how the rant/bitch/moan and whoo-threads are most notable for the in-talking, simply by their nature; however I think there's a big difference between users congratulating or commiserating with other posters ("congrats on passing your exam/sorry your dog was run over/good luck with the interview") and actually talking to other people.

I wasn't that bothered about your conversation here tbh cos it was short, but I just disagree with b.ie completely disregarding it being reported as being a valid complaint (although again, I do see where he's coming from on this one). And just for the record, I wasn't the person who reported it ;)
    shay_562 wrote:
    I know I expressed my views on this fairly recently, but to recap: we come on a message board to chat and make friends. There's a whole thread devoted to in-jokey boards awards and a group get-together. I really think that drawing arbitrary lines between what is and isn't acceptable discourse between people on here can only end badly, with people deterred from actually expressing personal sentiments or engaging in any kind of bonding, both of which are key factors in making this an actual community beyond simple "this is what's happening in TCD right now" posts. Why do we have bitch and woohoo and "What are you listening to?" threads if not to encourage personal bonding? I really don't think "I miss you" "I miss you guys too" qualifies as something so esoteric and cliquey that it would be off-putting to new members - if anything, being actively discouraged from posting anything related to the people you already know is more likely to reduce posting both from new people and from older posters (as evidenced above).
    Woah, danger Will Robinson.

It's not an arbitrary rule shay. Far from it. It's one thing to discuss a possible meeting up of anyone who uses this forum. It's another thing for a few members to have a conversation among themselves which makes it very difficult for other people to contribute to.

And it's not about being 'actively discouraged' from posting anything about other people that you know on the forum. Most of us will say something in passing to other users at one time or another - the difference is that it shouldn't develop into a conversation.
    SHAY_562 wrote:
    And as you pointed out last time we had this chat, I could very easily dig up examples of times you've made far more esoteric comments about liking "Andrew" as a name, or gotten into a dispute with a member of the young PDs about what may or may not have happened at a dinner you both went to years ago. Posting to each other as friends is something that'll naturally happen in situations like this. Boards in general is full of in-jokes and personal bits of chat. Really, I think you're reacting far too harshly to a very minor infraction of the rules of the boards, an infraction that you've made yourself on more than one occasion.
    I just did a google search of all the times that 'stargal' and 'Andrew'* come up together on boards and I found one other example where I mentioned him in a way like that. I've been on boards for 5 years, Andrew for about 3 I think. I'm not justifying it, but just want to make clear that I'm not being hypocritical about this - 2 examples in the 3 years the TCD forum has been going isn't a lot, but I am sorry that they happened at all.

The PD thing was different. Someone posted up their version of an event that I was involved in. I disagreed, and wasn't happy to let it die so posted a response. It wasn't a conversation, it was a disagreement of the type that you get on pretty much every single forum on boards.

Boards is going to shut down in a minute so I'll leave it at this: I think there is a great community on the TCD forum and I don't think that this 'in-talking' thing is a major issue.

*Andrew_83 is my boyfriend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

User 45457 has some points but then again so does user 9027 In the end I have to side with user 9027 as that user has a lower user number.

Boston wrote:
    User 45457 has some points but then again so does user 9027 In the end I have to side with user 9027 as that user has a lower user number.
    Why thank you User 4904.

Straightforward moan of the day: I think I'm getting a migraine :(

Edit: More importantly - I've broken my laptop. And not in an easy-to-repair way either. I've actually physically broken it. There's a chunk of it hanging off at the back, beside my USB drive. It's still working ok, but I don't want to close it over because I'm afraid it'll break off from the keyboard. And even with my limited computer knowledge, I'm pretty sure that that would be a Bad Thing.

I don't know what I'd do without my laptop. Probably curl up in a ball and rock back and forth for a few days.

Edit: HORRIFIC EVENT OF THE DAY
    . There are few things that freak me out more than people with missing teeth. Especially kids. Can't explain it but it terrifies me. So when one of the kids in the class I'm teaching in CTYI came up to me today to show me just how loose her tooth was, she was literally reenacting one of my biggest fears.

Unfortunately the kids thought this was hilarious, and so all of them with loose/missing teeth starting waggling them and showing them off to me with horrific abandon. It was like when the birds go after Tippi Hendren in the attic. It was horrible.

/shudders

There's a scorpion loose on the 5th floor. I'm sleeping on the 6th. I'm fairly certain they can climb, though.

The computer room is infested with cockroches.

The basement is full of rats. Though in reality there is no real need for me to be down in the basement. I was just exploring.

I have to get out of this hostel before I hurt myself and those around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

You're not staying up on Amsterdam Avenue or whatever it's called by any chance? For a hostel in New York you really should consider moving to the one in Chelsea. It's closer to midtown, and less chance of being face to face with a scorpion, or murdered.

Facing into 7 weeks of not seeing ilovemybrick very much. Or at all for 6 of them. :(

When did i become a sap. ugh.

Facing into 7 weeks of not seeing ilovemybrick very much. Or at all for 6 of them. :(

When did i become a sap. ugh.
    Are you two going out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I second that inquiry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement