Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

now i'm depressed and have a toothache

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

ronivek wrote: »
    I had intended to catch up on all the missed lectures and wasted time spent working during the last term while on the Christmas break.

However; I've just worked more and spent far too much time vegetating on front of the telly watching Scrubs/Dexter/Heroes and a multitude of movies when I could have been doing something productive to further my edumacation. Bah.
    I feel your pain. It feels like a paper shredder just waiting for unused first degrees.

On the plus side, I've learned to cook. Like, cook really, really good stuff. And when you look at the whole picture, I'll be able to make chilli and lemon pork for the rest of my life, whereas a good degree will only last until I'm 30, as I'll probably have a heart-attack around then and will have to move to Galway to become a poet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Why is it always at this time of year that my productivity level drops to zero? It's as if my potential and ability to do some good, solid academic work goes into hibernation, and my attention span dies a slow death.

Like ronivek and polar, I set aside the Christmas break [in particular the last two weeks] to catch up on all the stuff I missed in MT. And I haven't. I've done nowhere near the amount of work I should've, and I also have very little to show for the time I'd set aside.

I've been distracted, sure. There's been a lot going on in my life, unfortunately, and things are looking a bit worrying. You'd think I'd be able to channel my worries and fear into escapism, and willingly distract myself with my textbooks and my assignments and my Creative Endeavours and my general Shit To Do...but no, no dice.

Bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

Pet wrote: »
    Why is it always at this time of year that my productivity level drops to zero? It's as if my potential and ability to do some good, solid academic work goes into hibernation, and my attention span dies a slow death.

Like ronivek and polar, I set aside the Christmas break [in particular the last two weeks] to catch up on all the stuff I missed in MT. And I haven't. I've done nowhere near the amount of work I should've, and I also have very little to show for the time I'd set aside.

I've been distracted, sure. There's been a lot going on in my life, unfortunately, and things are looking a bit worrying. You'd think I'd be able to channel my worries and fear into escapism, and willingly distract myself with my textbooks and my assignments and my Creative Endeavours and my general Shit To Do...but no, no dice.

Bollocks.

It's never too late-- the break isn't over yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

paperclip wrote: »
    It's never too late-- the break isn't over yet!

The productive part of mine ends today as I'm going to New York tomorrow. (w00t)

Unfortunately of the 3 essays I intended to write all I have done is some photocopying and jstoring. Bollax. Ah well I promised I wouldnt stress about it in New York, suppose I better bear by burden gracefully whilst shopping. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

It's cold. My office window doesn't shut properly. This makes me cold. Dagnabbit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Trying to decide where to apply for next year is annoying, I just wanna stay an undergrad forever.

Just checked my timetable - 24 hours a week this term! 7 hours on Fridays! Gack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Apperently Trinity Rag Week sucks. Boo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

No apparently about it. Not the same as RAG week in other colleges. We live in hope for this year though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

It doesn't suck if you turn it into an entire drink fest and don't sober up. you just need to put in the effort :)

Also I know a few lads organising a lot of the fundraising stuff for rag week (and comedy soc are in on it) there should be some good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Boo, Huckabee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

hmm 26 hours of lectures and labs a week. Biochemistry exam that I have no clue about. bring on hillary term BOO-URNS!

d4gurl wrote: »
    hmm 26 hours of lectures and labs a week. Biochemistry exam that I have no clue about. bring on hillary term BOO-URNS!
    http://www.tcd.ie/Biology_Teaching_Centre/SFDownloads.php

There's two sample papers of the Biochem lab exam. I'd strongly recommend doing them both - the questions don't vary much from year to year, and some of them are exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Pet wrote: »
    http://www.tcd.ie/Biology_Teaching_Centre/SFDownloads.php

There's two sample papers of the Biochem lab exam. I'd strongly recommend doing them both - the questions don't vary much from year to year, and some of them are exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭balzarywex

Owie, goddam wisdom teeth!

[I love enzymes (more of a woohoo thread post, I guess!)
    When IS this exam? Might be something handy to know...]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Trying to decide where to apply for next year is annoying, I just wanna stay an undergrad forever.
    I hear that, I left it till after the finals. But I'll tell ya something, research is handy, taught not so much, but research is. At least in Trin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yea, well Apex, I'll be spending the next 9 Friday afternoons teaching tards like this guy electronics, and by like I actually mean him. bastarding research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Boston wrote: »
    Yea, well Apex, I'll be spending the next 9 Friday afternoons teaching tards like this guy electronics, and by like I actually mean him. bastarding research.
    Heheh.. you poor lad! yeah I'll be doin that next year (the school of physics usually don't let 1st yr postgrads supervise), quite possibly engineers too. I think Dead_Ed is supervising JF engineering physics labs at the minute.

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I think Dead_Ed is supervising JF engineering physics labs at the minute.
    May the good Lord have mercy on their souls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

Advanced sign language classes begin tonight! I'm looking forward to them!
    It's been ages since I've gone (they weren't on in hilary term) and now I'm wayy out of practice, so this hasn't come a moment too soon. I'm prepared to have my hands cramp up at least once tonight.

Even so, woohoo. :)

Anti-woohoo: the last day or so has been awesomely unproductive. :( But no more! Tomorrow is a new theresa day...

I wrote an essay and I think its ****.

However I have more to do in quite a short space of time so I don't know if I will have time to reduce the crap which I put in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Not a great mark in my Michaelmas Strategy exam. Damn final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

AGGHHHHHHHH!

im not a person who likes giving out about things but i've put this off for too long.

i have to have a rant about some of the library staff who seem to GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to be unhelpful and rude.

on four occasions i have made enquires relating to different things and each time with a different person have found them not nice to deal with.

BEFORE people respond with a rant, i DO NOT think that all staff are like this and am only refering to the minority who i've come across.

i know a librarian and i understand that being asked questions by people all day my be annoying but in fairness if you are behind the desk that is one of your duties and i feel people should do this in the most friendly and positive way possible.

surely one of the most important aspects of any job dealing with the public is to be helpful?

i am not one of those annoying people who makes their jobs hard as i've been in the same position working behind counters and i know how important it is to deal with customers enquires properly.

ok rant coming to and end but serioulsy has anyone else come across this in the library?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

for the love of God people keep giving me chocolate and I think iv overdone it...too much sugar..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Randomness wrote: »
    AGGHHHHHHHH!

im not a person who likes giving out about things but i've put this off for too long.

i have to have a rant about some of the library staff who seem to GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to be unhelpful and rude.

on four occasions i have made enquires relating to different things and each time with a different person have found them not nice to deal with.

BEFORE people respond with a rant, i DO NOT think that all staff are like this and am only refering to the minority who i've come across.

i know a librarian and i understand that being asked questions by people all day my be annoying but in fairness if you are behind the desk that is one of your duties and i feel people should do this in the most friendly and positive way possible.

surely one of the most important aspects of any job dealing with the public is to be helpful?

i am not one of those annoying people who makes their jobs hard as i've been in the same position working behind counters and i know how important it is to deal with customers enquires properly.

ok rant coming to and end but serioulsy has anyone else come across this in the library?

Yeah they can be a bit unhelpful. There's one bloke in particular who always seems a bit rude.

My kitchen went on fire last night. I had such wonderful plans for dinner tonight, but it looks like I'll have to forego cooking for the next while. I've started not to trust food I haven't prepared myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

AGGHHHHHHHH!

I'm sorry you feel that you didn't get a good service from Library staff. Perhaps it would be helpful to talk to your Subject Librarian? You will find a list of Subject Librarians here and their contact details here -
    http://peoplefinder.tcd.ie/pls/peoplefinder/telephone_system_pub.PEOPLE_FINDER.dept?p_dept=971

(You'll need to scroll down a bit).

You could also try the Duty Librarian's desk if you have a more general query - you'll find it beside the issue desks in the Hamilton and Berkeley Libraries.

I like keeping myself busy in college, but there are days [like today] when I have so many hundreds of emails to answer and Things to Organise, on top of the usual academic workload [which I swore would come first this year], that I just feel like hiding under a pile of coats until it all goes away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I need to break something. Badly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement