Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

The latter. Although I will admit to browsing icanhascheezburger.com from time to time. It's the one website which I keep laughing to myself at loudly.

I have a cold.. I had avoided it since August but its back with a vengence now :(

My amazon orders better be in today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Boston wrote: »
    Report it. The idea behind allowing students laptops in lectures is so they can take notes. It wouldn't be the first time a lecturer has stopped people using laptops.

"Sirrrhhh, Sirrrrrrrrhh, some of the Computer Scientists are on Facebooook, I de'monnnd that you do something about this outrage"

Yeah, I can see that going down a treat.

If you're sitting at the very back it's only to be expected that you won't hear what's going on, with the cloakies right in front of you and the lecturer miles away. There are microphones, but very few lecturers use them because they like to walk around while they talk and fair enough. Just sit up near the front like I do (when I'm not late) and you'll have no problem hearing what's going on. It also means you don't have to look at the screens when someone's being distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

"Sirrrhhh, Sirrrrrrrrhh, some of the Computer Scientists are on Facebooook, I de'monnnd that you do something about this outrage"

Yeah, I can see that going down a treat.

I couldn't care less how the computer scientists take it. Report it to the lecturer and they will take steps. Just so happens this one seems to be useless.
    If you're sitting at the very back it's only to be expected that you won't hear what's going on, with the cloakies right in front of you and the lecturer miles away. There are microphones, but very few lecturers use them because they like to walk around while they talk and fair enough. Just sit up near the front like I do (when I'm not late) and you'll have no problem hearing what's going on. It also means you don't have to look at the screens when someone's being distracting.

Or the CS students could go to LG12 to look up their bebo?

There are students who will validly take notes with their laptops in a lecture theatre. And they're going to clack away. As they have a right to. It would be unfair to tell everyone to put away their laptops because some are not using them to take notes. Our course director told us once that we shouldn't be using laptops and it practically started a riot.

• Advertisement

There are students who will validly take notes with their laptops in a lecture theatre. And they're going to clack away. As they have a right to. It would be unfair to tell everyone to put away their laptops because some are not using them to take notes. Our course director told us once that we shouldn't be using laptops and it practically started a riot.

Unfair, but the fault of those who abuse the privilege. As for riot, yea sure.

I doubt you have the right to use a laptop during a lecture but rather you are allowed at the discretion of the lecturer. If the practice is causing disruption in a lecture, then it should be reported as such - check your facebook during the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I could picture that... :D A load of computer nerds with their fists in the air screaming OUTRAGE! HOW DARE YOU ASK US TO PUT AWAY OUR LAPTOPS!! A sure riot alright...

...so who/what are the cloakies? Is there a bit of segregation within the comp sci class? :D

I'm not claiming that we have some inalienable universal right to use laptops during lectures. I'm just saying it's silly and counter-productive and unfair to ban them because of a few because they are such astoundingly useful resources for learning during lectures. Of course you (or rather, the lecturer) have a right to, just like you have a right to be an asshole. It still means you're an asshole. (Note: I'm not calling anyone an asshole).

Also, I'd be skeptical of people claiming that looking at facebook or boards.ie is anymore distracting than someone taking notes in a LaTeX editor or getting background information about the lecture subject on wikipedia.

As for the cloakies...well, they're the ones with cloaks and long hair, obviously enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ugh, I've now spent the last 8 hours attempting to write a "motivation letter" for my masters application (the irony is not lost on me).

I hate these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Barcelona is freezing and full of begars, hookers and mice!!

They have some nice architecture though.

snorlax wrote: »

They have some nice architecture though.

for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Some drunk started shouting at me this morning while I was cycling in.

On a narrow stretch of road I had pulled into a parking space to let vehicles pass, and while I was completely stationary he began shouting that I was "cycling too close to the footpath" and that he would arrest me for it. I just cycled off, it was too early in the morning to come up with a witty retort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

penguin88 wrote: »
    Some drunk started shouting at me this morning while I was cycling in.

On a narrow stretch of road I had pulled into a parking space to let vehicles pass, and while I was completely stationary he began shouting that I was "cycling too close to the footpath" and that he would arrest me for it. I just cycled off, it was too early in the morning to come up with a witty retort.
    You should have told him a joke

"have you heard about the German alcoholic?"
    "No Ed, i haven't"
    "He lost his job, his wife left him and his life was ruined"

In the spirit of the thread: boo to twelve hour days in the basement. Death to the surface folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

The showers beside the swimming pool are a disgrace. Only 3 showers with just 2 drains, and neither of them drain :mad:

Showering there is like having a second swim in ankle deep water except it's the dirty water that people in the other cubicles have just washed themselves with :(

So now, after a shower I have to go for another shower in the open area just to clean off the residue of my first shower :rolleyes:

Why not just shower in the open area in the first place?

Showering with cloths on in general is very bad. Its why I tend to have two showers a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I've just had a digestive biscuit, which was lovely. What I didn't realise that there was a crumb stuck to my finger. I proceeded to rub my eye, and I somehow managed to get digestive crumb in my eye. It's gone now, but it was irritating while it was there.

europerson wrote: »
    I've just had a digestive biscuit, which was lovely. What I didn't realise that there was a crumb stuck to my finger. I proceeded to rub my eye, and I somehow managed to get digestive crumb in my eye. It's gone now, but it was irritating while it was there.

Wow, what an exciting life you lead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Why do people never get that (a) the interwebs, of all places, are no place to mock people for having no life, and (b) that taking the time out to comment on how someone else has no life is just a tad stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

shay_562 wrote: »
    and (b) that taking the time out to comment on how someone else has no life is just a tad stupid?

[COUGH]hypocrite[/COUGH]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Sarsfield wrote: »
    The showers beside the swimming pool are a disgrace. Only 3 showers with just 2 drains, and neither of them drain :mad:

Showering there is like having a second swim in ankle deep water except it's the dirty water that people in the other cubicles have just washed themselves with :(

So now, after a shower I have to go for another shower in the open area just to clean off the residue of my first shower :rolleyes:

Tragedy. You're still alive right?

Sarsfield wrote: »

You forgot urine.. I'm sure it's there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

...you mean thats not the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

bollax. Lost my room application personal statement somewhere in the great wonders of my computer. balls.

Ah well here I go again. *cough* "I'm great because..."

Wow, what an exciting life you lead...

You sir have never had sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

just started bootcampireland.ie and am so stiff from it...they made me do press-ups in the snow last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Boston wrote: »
    You sir have never had sex.
    Does sex involve getting bits of digestive biscuit in one's eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

snorlax wrote: »
    just started bootcampireland.ie and am so stiff from it...they made me do press-ups in the snow last night!

I presume you mean bootcampireland.com ;) What was the session like? What sort of exercises did you do?

• Advertisement

Pet wrote: »
    Does sex involve getting bits of digestive biscuit in one's eye?

Only if you're doing it right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement