Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tweety28

paperclip wrote: »
    Now, now, let's not generalize. I'm half American myself. :D
    But, yes....saying 'caloric' is pretty bad, especially coming from a country where that (calorific) is every second word you hear.

yeah i supose i did generalise. i have no i dea why i was being so harsh.

sorry...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Stargal wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I like my new avatar or not. Think I'll test-drive a few other ones.

/Note to self: Stop posting every thought you're having in your head. Other people don't need to hear everything. Seriously.

get with the program helga!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

The irony here is that your spelling of 'generalize' is the American way. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tweety28

The irony here is that your spelling of 'generalize' is the American way. :p

oh i wish that was irony i spell checked that (yes the shame) you should have seen my spelling of 'generalize'.... my spelling is sooooo bad it hurts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

get with the program helga!
    Little Hitler avatars are like, soooooooooooo two days ago ;)

• Advertisement

Whoops! You're right- generalize IS the american way! I can't believe I mixed them up- shame on me! That's what you get for growing up between the two....

lol, forgive me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Stargal wrote: »
    /Note to self: Stop posting every thought you're having in your head. Other people don't need to hear everything. Seriously.
    We don't need to, but we still want to.

I'd like to change my avatar and name, but ibid still hasn't gotten me my subscription.

Rant/Bitch/Moan: Lots of people I know have died recently. Its beginning to get me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Indeed, I count 4 people who've died in the "Faculty of Engineering, Mathematics and Science" in the past two weeks. One was a friend of mine from my class and doing a phd in physics, one was a girl recently graduated med chem, one was in my friend's group in chemistry, and another 1st year postgrad I got an email about. Top it off, I got a text while I was at a funeral on saturday that my mam's cousin had died. And plans have altered this weekend with the girl i'm sort of seein, she had to suddenly leave because her great grandfather died this morning.

So many march deaths... seem oddly coupled with the ridiculous amount of march birthdays.

It's the time of year- combine the bad weather with a post-christmas letdown and pre-exam feeling....a friend of mine who worked for the Samaritans said this is a 'prime time' for depression for college student aged people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So a lot of these recent deaths where of people starting PhDs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It is quite strange getting those emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Got my driving test coming up and Im terrified!

You'll be grand. The main tip I can give is to be far, far more careful than you ever thought possible. Seriously, make a huge show of how careful you are, leaning forward in your seat to see if there are cars coming, etc. I cannot emphasise this enough. (passed first time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭balzarywex

I hate the lymphatic system including my own!

Also, these lemsip max capsules aren't very 'maxy'...*sniff sniff* Lots of caffeine in them though!

I'm sick on the the longest weekend of the year. Typical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Waking up at stupid o' clock. Here we go again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

8 weeks til finals.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

The folllowing are all on on the 4th of April...
    a) Hall ball.
    b) Q/A
    c)Felix the Housecat.
    d)Ruckus at Kennedys

WTF I want to go to all of these things...................................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Had to work on my birthday... F*** sake...

The bloody game theory problem set is impossible......

and is driving me mad....

• Advertisement

Can't figure out what's wrong with this picture, or how to improve it. Dammit.
    tubanimals2.jpg

Any (constructive!) criticism would be reeeally wonderful....

feicin smell! You has skills, sista. I couldn't possibly offer any criticism that could be in any way valid. Is there art&drawing/art appreciation forum anywhere on here? Maybe those folks could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm reminded of Mark Rydberg's paintings, paperclip, although yours has none of the lurid acrylic feel.

mark_ryden.jpg

for those unfamiliar.

I'm no art critic, and this is kind of a rushed post (gotta run), but:

1)the composition is what really strikes me. It's fantastic.

2)the rabbit (?) in the midground interferes with the perspective just a little. It's difficult to infer its size or distance - but you can easily fix that by shading in shadows, I imagine.

Eh, I'll try and expand a little next time I'm on the interwebz. But, great job. I think it's fair to say that none of us had any idea you had such talent.

Just want to say - wow. Showed the girlfriend, we just had a talk about what it was. And I'm an engineer :D

Post more of your stuff up if you can, I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Can't figure out what's wrong with this picture, or how to improve it. Dammit.
    tubanimals2.jpg

Any (constructive!) criticism would be reeeally wonderful....

Wow. That's... wow. Can we get married?

Rant: late nights, strong coffee, Coca-Cola, pizza solos, still a little drunk from Eamonn Doran's, and the economics of product definition. No fucking way can a Savings Protections Scheme be considered the same product as "credit union representation services". The Supreme Court got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I, too, love that and would love to see more of your work!

The only thing that bugs me a bit is the rabbit. It really takes the balance out of the picture, there's a real feeling of movement coming from the animals being blown out of the horn, but then there's this rabbit in no-man's land who just looks a bit out of place. For me, there would be much more 'flow' in the picture without the rabbit there. But I've absolutely no knowledge of art - apart from knowing what I like and don't like ;) - so that's just my 2c. Feel free to ignore :)

Wow, thanks for all the wonderful comments! This should be the woo-hoo thread now. :D
    I should warn you that I take all marriage proposals seriously though ;) lol. xebec/pet, I know what you mean about the rabbit, the idea was that there'd be this little fella makign a break for freedom...but as you said, he does look rather out of place. The wonderful thing about photoshop is that it's much easier to move things around than if I was using oils. :) I'm going to finish off the animals and butterflies, then try and make them more 3d by pushing the values on them a bit more.

I really like Mark Ryder's stuff- it's so surreal and it reminds me a bit of something out of Lemony Snicket. Actually, if you want to see some beautiful stuff, you could do far worse than the below people:
    artvandeley.cgsociety.org
    and
    http://baronimpossible.cgsociety.org/gallery/354791/

But if you want to see mindblowing: this woman is one of the best in the field:
    [LINK]http://enayla.cgsociety.org/gallery/242000/[/LINK]

See, I said I had a long way to go! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I love the work, paperclip. :)

[Moans]
    1. People are still slagging me over a pigeon defecating onto my hair on Nassau Street yesterday. So, I'm posting this on Boards to remove the novelty factor for those few who know.
    2. Whilst conducting a conversation with a fellow economics student today, I belched ever so slightly, despite my best efforts to hold it in, disguise it as a cough, turn away, etc. The chap, with whom I was speaking, wasn't at all bothered, but it was still very embarrassing.
    3. I've just got back to my flat, having been in the library. On my way here, I passed what is the closest pub to where I live, i.e., The Windjammer. There was a drunk standing outside, and, as I passed by, he spat, not necessarily at me, but in my general direction. On a related note, a visit to my local shop to procure ice cream brought me into contact with a very rude and ignorant drunk girl, who was, I estimate, about nineteen. She was a tool.

[/Moans]

europerson wrote: »
    I love the work, paperclip. :)

[Moans]
    1. People are still slagging me over a pigeon defecating onto my hair on Nassau Street yesterday. So, I'm posting this on Boards to remove the novelty factor for those few who know.
    2. Whilst conducting a conversation with a fellow economics student today, I belched ever so slightly, despite my best efforts to hold it in, disguise it as a cough, turn away, etc. The chap, with whom I was speaking, wasn't at all bothered, but it was still very embarrassing.
    3. I've just got back to my flat, having been in the library. On my way here, I passed what is the closest pub to where I live, i.e., The Windjammer. There was a drunk standing outside, and, as I passed by, he spat, not necessarily at me, but in my general direction. On a related note, a visit to my local shop to procure ice cream brought me into contact with a very rude and ignorant drunk girl, who was, I estimate, about nineteen. She was a tool.

[/Moans]
    and I forgot to clean the flat...............

• Advertisement

I'm in a computer room full of people and my stomach won't stop making embarrassing rumbles. I used a little too much chilli oil and chillie powder in the dinner tonight.

Edit: Also, I want my god-damn name changed. You'll pay for this Enda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement