Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I have no will to put econometrics into my brain. None at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

probably getting my results today... eugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Brods wrote: »
    probably getting my results today... eugh
    Really? I thought they were just going to announce who would have to come back for pass/fail vivas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Curse waking up at this hour and not being able to get back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Kwekubo wrote: »
    Really? I thought they were just going to announce who would have to come back for pass/fail vivas.

yep, my mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

:(

This got rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Word is, they want moi to lecture next year,

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Hungover. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

I think i failed my exams. I don't get repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

You're probably just stressed. Try and relax, I'm sure you did a lot better than you thought you did.

You do deserve a hug though. Here you go: *hug*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

This got rejected.

A sad day indeed. Where else on the internet will you find pictures of barely/not-quite legal teenagers?
    Boston wrote:
    Word is, they want moi to lecture next year,

Am I missing something? Surely that's good, what with the fact that it suggests they have faith in you?

shay_562 wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Surely that's good, what with the fact that it suggests they have faith in you?

Would you lecture 200 odd sniveling first years?

Boston wrote: »

Surely lecturing is better then tutoring - you don't have to pay attention to them then and you can let the TAs deal with any fallout..

Yes.

Boston wrote:

Yes. [@ Myth: Jinx!] I'd love to lecture, first years or otherwise. But to be fair, I'm marginally less misanthropic than you. (only marginally though...)

Ok, keep in mind that Lecturing is only ever a distraction. It can take 3 to 4 hours to prepare a lecture. You have to set exams and correct exams. You have to be available to deal with whatever problems any of the students have. Your'e also entering the political world of academia and don't even get me started on the hassle which can erupt should matters of discipline arise.

Now, that may all be ok, but when your main objective is to get a PhD before your funding runs out, spending half your week working and stressing about a distraction, is bad.

Sure I don't know what I'd do. Its only been hinted at and not directly. Certain lecturers are apparently refusing to lecture the wild first and second years and the solution is the postgrads.

I'd love to lecture, but with my accent the students would probably be better off just studying from the textbooks....

They would probably just do that anyway, so I think a good lecturer can actually make the subject fun and interesting...so that people actually want to go to it.

Rant: I have 5 dvds and I don't know which one to watch first. Ahh, the rants of a student on summer holidays: so much more pleasant than in termtime, yes?

Oh, just putting this out there: are the netsoc building society websites over the summer at all?

Ok, keep in mind that Lecturing is only ever a distraction. It can take 3 to 4 hours to prepare a lecture. You have to set exams and correct exams. You have to be available to deal with whatever problems any of the students have. Your'e also entering the political world of academia and don't even get me started on the hassle which can erupt should matters of discipline arise.

Now, that may all be ok, but when your main objective is to get a PhD before your funding runs out, spending half your week working and stressing about a distraction, is bad.

Sure I don't know what I'd do. Its only been hinted at and not directly.

I thought one good thing to come from lecturing is that you gain the experience of doing it. Plus obviously you'll get paid for doing it, no?
    Certain lecturers are apparently refusing to lecture the wild first and second years and the solution is the postgrads.

They wack discipwine.

Only if you want to do it as a part of a latter career move. As for more money, this is true, however every year a PhD takes has a cost involved in terms of income which could have been earned in industry but wasn't. An extra year lecturing as a postgrad could easily have a net cost. Also I tend to believe you're either about something or your not, if you want to lecture then that should be your primary focus, if you want a PhD that should be your primary focus. Trying to mix the pair normally means you fail at both (I've numerous examples to back that up)

This reminds me of that quote from Pavarotti- when he was a teenager, he couldn't decide whether to go into music or carpentry. His father told him to choose one as 'you can't sit on two chairs at the same time.'

Although, with Pavarotti's physique, he probably could.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote:

Fair points - I guess especially if you'd have no interest in continuing down the lecturing path afterwards, it's not of much use to you. The work divide between lecturing and research seems to be a problem at all levels though; I know the recieved wisdom is that we end up with crappy lecturers half the time because they're brilliant researchers. Can you turn down an offer to lecture without burning all kinds of bridges?

Topic: My polling card has yet to arrive, even though the rest of my family's ones came a few days back. Should I be worried? And who would one go about contacting to demand a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

paperclip wrote: »
    Oh, just putting this out there: are the netsoc building society websites over the summer at all?
    On it...;)

Lol, I was just wondering if they were 'open for business', so to speak, then I was going to get you on the case! :D We also need to sort something out to send out with the society college pack, maybe a little pamphlet or something...hmm...we need to lure in the newbies.

...also, what colour hoodie do you think would suit you? I think green would look good on you, like the frog on your back.

shay_562 wrote: »
    Topic: My polling card has yet to arrive, even though the rest of my family's ones came a few days back. Should I be worried? And who would one go about contacting to demand a card?

Whichever nutter from the Yes or No side you happen to bump into first. Chances are they'll both work equally hard to do anything for your vote.

Myth wrote:
    Whichever nutter from the Yes or No side you happen to bump into first. Chances are they'll both work equally hard to do anything for your vote.

Regrettably, my location in what Ronny Mitchell himself once described as "the arsehole of nowhere" means that we haven't had a canvasser at the door in over 10 years. Eh, I'll probably give South Dublin County Council a ring on Monday and see what the story is; from what I can tell (from my extensive 4 minutes of Googling), I can vote without a card but it's more hassle and risks some jobsworth demanding a birth cert and DNA sample. Stupid council; then they complain that young people don't vote. Why, back in my day...

funny-pictures-hangover-cat-cardboard-paper-rolls.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

My results are out in 17 hours and i am terrified.

never do so many extracurricular things that you put your degree at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

My results are out in 17 hours and i am terrified.

never do so many extracurricular things that you put your degree at risk.
    If only someone had told me that sooner.

my head hurts.

drink = bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

ARGH.

I didn't get campus accommodation next year [unlikely as it was, I'm a rising JS, but still.]

Results are out Friday week, but I won't have internet access then. And it's another month before I find out if I got the JS option I chose.

WANT WANT WANT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement