Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Walked from Sandymount to Harcourt St this morning without an umbrella. I got so drenched my phone broke.
    Get yourself one of these.

Great little device. I use mine regularly (unless I need 3g).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Get yourself one of these.

Great little device. I use mine regularly (unless I need 3g).
    In fairness, me having a "sports" phone would be somewhat ridiculous.

My iPod is on its very last legs, so I may invest in a new iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Pfffh, 'sports' is only in the name. I've never once used any of the 'sports' features. But I have dropeed it in pints, rinsed it under the tap, dropped it hundreds of times, thrown it into walls and kicked it around the cobblestones in Parliament Square. It's VERY sturdy.

Pfffh, 'sports' is only in the name. I've never once used any of the 'sports' features.
    Come off it, we all know under that dapper suit hides the body of an olympic gymnast.

Aaaaanyway, the iPhone looks class. Pretty sure I'll get one. I just need a way of squaring my purchase with the fact that I'm facing unemployment in the not too distant future. Living without a phone for the next week will be difficult, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

its been an odd week.
    not a good week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I got ID'd in my local off-licence a couple of hours ago. They called the manager over. I'd like to say the conversation went something like this:

Surly Spar guy: You're buying this? ID please
    Me: Bitch please, do I look 17? Just give me the alcohol.
    SSG: I'm sorry, it was your youthful and radiant looks that threw me. Here's your alcohol. I hope this hasn't inconvenienced you.
    Me: Not at all. Have a good evening.

Instead it was more like this:

Surly Spar guy:
    You're buying this? ID please
    Me: Um, I don't carry ID. I don't think I need to.
    SSG: Well if you look under 23 then I can ask you for it and you look under 23 so...
    Me: Look, I'm over 23, this is.... [long pause] stupid.
    SSG: Well if you've no ID then...
    Me: [eyes actually welling up with tears] But I'm over 23. This isn't fair.
    SSG: Do you know the manager?
    Me: Um, what? Is this a threat?
    SSG: [calls manager over]
    Manager: What's up?
    Me: [almost crying] Um, I just want to.... and this guy... I'm just buying [gestures pointlessly at the stupid bottle of Smirnoff Ice]
    Manager: Give the girl her alcohol
    Cheery 40-something guy beside me: Take it as a compliment love!
    Me:[trying to look grown-up and not like I'm crying] I'm not sure that it is.

I blame the fact that it was a very long day and I'd had a big fight with a friend which was the reason I was staying in on a Friday night in the first place. Plus it was humiliating. But it's still embarrassing.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

take it as a Compliment

Its great to be ID'd (complementary etc etc) unless you don't actually have any ID on you, in which case its highly embarassing for all involved. They should really be able to tell, though. Twentysomethings will just stare back with a look of disbelief and confusion, whereas under 18 year olds will sheepishly move away or get overly vocal.

"Is that a threat?" Ms. Gal, you're priceless. :D

Meh, I've always carried ID on me. Plus I get to show off the picture I have on the ID (me with a mohawk and a surprised expression from March 2003).

I've had people ask for ID a few times in times gone by, and they're increasingly screwing up their nose when viewing my old Garda age card thing I have since the new one was brought in last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Myth wrote: »
    I've had people ask for ID a few times in times gone by, and they're increasingly screwing up their nose when viewing my old Garda age card thing I have since the new one was brought in last year.

I didn't even realise they had brought in a new one til I saw an ad for it in a shop the other day. I always have my (very old) one with me, though I rarely need it anymore these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Pox its raining. And it looks really nasty.

Ugh and I have walk to the Mater after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I got absolutely soaked over lunch :(

Hid under a tree for a few mins but it was no use and I was only wearing a t-shirt. Bloody inclement weather!

Bah, was meant to be going cycling up the Dublin Mountains today but it's a lousy day again.

My very nice purple glasses snapped in half yesterday, and at the time I was a bit too tipsy to care.

I care now:(

I'm having a bad day. I'm blaming it on my psychic connection with a female.

I'm having a bad day. I'm blaming it on my psychic connection with a female.

Your sister?

Your sister?
    Yar.

Yar.

Probably what you get for writing her name on yer arm.:rolleyes:

Mushroom ravioli?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

I thought I had bought meat ravioli.

Que?
    That was exactly the response I was going to give when I saw Myth's post. Great minds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Must...not...say it! Must...resist...urge to be unrelenting asshole for no reason at all! Must...avoid...foolsseldomdiffer...trite clichés!

Ah, dammit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Stargal wrote: »
    That was exactly the response I was going to give when I saw Myth's post. Great minds...

Once we avoid 'Failte Towers'...

shay_562 wrote: »
    Must...not...say it! Must...resist...urge to be unrelenting asshole for no reason at all! Must...avoid...foolsseldomdiffer...trite clichés!

Ah, dammit.
    I knew it was too much to expect that someone on the internet wouldn't come back with the dumb retort;)

Office life is stupid and petty.

I asked if we had a casual Friday and was told that although there is no official policy but that the staff tend to dress down regardless. However, to be on the safe side, I was told to come in the full monkey suit just in case the Managing Director popped in. Apparently, he wouldn't mind seeing the full-timers in jeans and a t-shirt, but the sight of me in soft-soled shoes would be a problem.

Well, my managing director just popped in, and he was wearing jeans and a short sleeved shirt. On a thursday. Somehow I doubt he'd be the kinda guy who'd go ape at me for dressing down a notch.

I have come to the conclusion that my supervisor hates me and enjoys seeing me suffer.

Just got one of those emails about a student from our dept dying. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Stargal wrote: »
    I knew it was too much to expect that someone on the internet wouldn't come back with the dumb retort;)

In my defense, I'd probably say the same dumb retort in real life. Actually, I'm not really sure how well that constitutes a "defense"...
    I have come to the conclusion that my supervisor hates me and enjoys seeing me suffer.

That seems like an entirely rational and sane conclusion. Or it could be that the manager guy, like many higher-ups, operates a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do policy and the monkey suit genuinely is the safer option. But to be fair, perhaps balls-out sadism genuinely is the more likely option for your supervisor.
    Just got one of those emails about a student from our dept dying.

Sorry to hear that - did you know them well?

Didn't know them, just a little scary when you see the subject line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It struck me the other day how seriously hard going some courses are and how they can managed to chew people up completely. Brilliant, smart, creative people never making it to the end not due to a lack of ability being because of being unable to hack the constant unrelenting pressure, and who just burn out, some quiet disastrously. I know of at least one people in my course that took his own life and I'm certain there where more. The support system is their on paper, but I think for a lot of courses, especially the male dominated ones, it doesn't do nearly enough.

Sorry, just rambling...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement