Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

A play? Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Baza210 wrote: »
    A play? Odd.

A Musical.. not a play.

Going to see Les Miserables, but making a weekend out of it..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A play? Odd.

Some people call it culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

mathew wrote: »
    A Musical.. not a play.

Going to see Les Miserables, but making a weekend out of it..
    Oooh. I love that show. Especially the song On My Own. Got me through some though times, did that song.

Drat. Now my online macho persona lies in tatters. And I spent so long building it up.

Deleted Ubuntu partition in preparation for OS X installation.
    GRUB had changed MBR.
    Computer will not boot.
    Eee has no cd drive. External is not available until Sunday. I don't know if I have the right Windows CD either way.

Fuck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Deleted Ubuntu partition in preparation for OS X installation.
    GRUB had changed MBR.
    Computer will not boot.
    Eee has no cd drive. External is not available until Sunday. I don't know if I have the right Windows CD either way.

Fuck.
    OSX is shit.

QED

OS X had nothing to do with my computer failing, it was the ghey way Ubuntu installs itself that caused the problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

OS X had nothing to do with my computer failing, it was the ghey way Ubuntu installs itself that caused the problem.
    It was as a result of trying to install a ****ty os that your craptop wont start :P

Did you not chain the bootloaders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Jesus bazza, you let the OS X installer auto partition and format, that was a mistake you make only once.

Listen you muppets, OS X hasn't gone near my system at this stage. Using a partition manager in XP I deleted the Ubuntu partition, something happened and I didn't profit.

• Advertisement

Listen you muppets, OS X hasn't gone near my system at this stage. Using a partition manager in XP I deleted the Ubuntu partition, something happened and I didn't profit.
    Put in the xp recovery cd and run /fixm.... oh wait.. no cd drive..

For next time, install grub to a partition, and then call it from the xp bootloader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Oh, so it was XP that was the problem. : p

How about run a live distro off a usb key?

Oh, so it was XP that was the problem. : p
    No. The problem is that GRUB (linux bootloader) is written to the MBR, (the first place a pc looks when switched on). GRUB now points to unallocated space, and is therefore not booting.

By using the xp restore cd, he can reinstall ntldr (windows xp bootloader) to the MBR and regain access to his currently inaccessable windows xp partition.

I'm not sure that the CD provided by Asus is actually a proper Windows recovery CD though, rather than their own one.

Btw that should've been imgs.xkcd.com not img

I'm not sure that the CD provided by Asus is actually a proper Windows recovery CD though, rather than their own one.

Btw that should've been imgs.xkcd.com not img
    Either way you have access to oodles of copies of it here.

I'll investigate that marvellous link at a later date. Night all.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    No. The problem is that GRUB (linux bootloader) is written to the MBR, (the first place a pc looks when switched on). GRUB now points to unallocated space, and is therefore not booting.

By using the xp restore cd, he can reinstall ntldr (windows xp bootloader) to the MBR and regain access to his currently inaccessable windows xp partition.
    And XP wouldn't realise this was going on when he was deleting the partition?

Though I was more making a subtle joke that it couldn't POSSIBLY be linux at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

em......hope you havent gone and cleaned everything up, grubs quite easy to point to a differnt partition.

I deleted everything. I sort of expected it to just revert back to Windows booting up, as I had GRUB set to boot Windows first anyway.

Stoopid chainreactioncycles not allowing me to spent my money.

• Advertisement

Curse these young people across the aisle from me and their functioning laptops. And their thermos flask. I do have homemade Ginger cake though..mmm

Curse these young people across the aisle from me and their functioning laptops. And their thermos flask. I do have homemade Ginger cake though..mmm
    Where are you?? :s

Bah, stupid shaving.

Myth wrote: »
    Bah, stupid shaving.
    I hate shaving.

On the train, on ma phone. Dunno whereabouts on the journey I am, but I'm nearing Dublin. Stupid battery nearly dead. Anyone got a Win XP recovery disk?

On the train, on ma phone. Dunno whereabouts on the journey I am, but I'm nearing Dublin. Stupid battery nearly dead. Anyone got a Win XP recovery disk?
    Pro or Home?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Pro or Home?

Same question, and Pro :)

It's been a month and I still haven't sorted my laptop out.

I have a pro disk if anyone wants it.

EDIT: I have both now that i think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I absolutely don't have a copy of XP with integrated SP3 and I absolutely won't burn a copy for baza and myth should they want it.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    I absolutely don't have a copy of XP with integrated SP3 and I absolutely won't burn a copy for baza and myth should they want it.
    Good to see SOMEONE has some morals in these piracy-riddled days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement