Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

punka wrote:
    and library staff - please try and reshelve books correctly, as it can be quite unnerving spending an hour looking for a book on greek tyranny the day before the exam and eventually finding it 2 minutes before closing time in the medieval latin section.

Mightn't have been the staff, you know. Around this time, a lot of books get *mis-shelved* by students. Civil Engineering books in the biology section? Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Myth wrote:
    Mightn't have been the staff, you know. Around this time, a lot of books get *mis-shelved* by students.

oh no, believe me, i'm well aware of that. but it wasn't. all this year there have been cases where books are being clearly misshelved by staff - like say it was 888 K12345 it'd be in between 878 K12344 and 878 K12346. which is something of a nuisance.

we've had huge problems with people hiding the books all year but we've a fair idea of who they are.
    actually, any suggestions on the etiquette of how to approach people about this? it's kind of hard to do if you haven't caught them red-handed...
    i always find books hidden in the greek linguistics section. people must assume that nobody studies greek linguistics, i'm always finding journals and stuff there.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i have used greek lingustic books to show if there is any relation To ISL, i'll have you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

punka wrote:
    a rant:
    people on the 4th floor of the ussher. kindly shut the hell up. while i understand you may be having difficulty analysing econometric models, you don't need to share your problems with the entire library. go outside for christ's sake. also, blonde ponytail girl? we can hear you talking loudly in the photocopying room. yoghurt should clear up that dose of thrush. and disgusting bess couple: there's a time and a place for frotteurism. please don't do it while sitting opposite me as it's somewhat distracting.

oh, and library staff - please try and reshelve books correctly, as it can be quite unnerving spending an hour looking for a book on greek tyranny the day before the exam and eventually finding it 2 minutes before closing time in the medieval latin section.

damn kids. wasn't like this when i was in first year, y'know...
    Heh heh heh, nice rant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Related library rant:

why, oh why, do ppl underline and highlight stuff in library books? if they want to get all fluorescent so badly, why don't they photocopy the pages and then get the pens and rulers out? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I don't mind it so much. Tis handy as they're most often doing the same stuff as you. So saves all the skimming through wads of irrelevant gibberish to the bit ya need to know/cram :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Hour till first exam, i'm soooo shaggeeeeed :) All i want is a pint of whiskey at this point....tbh ;)

Best o luck man

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Best o luck man
    ty..

1 down, 1 went pretty crap.... and that was supposed to be easy 'pick me up' style course...hrmmmmmmm :)

ah 2 hrs now to get some last min cramming in..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

cuckoo wrote:
    Related library rant:

why, oh why, do ppl underline and highlight stuff in library books? if they want to get all fluorescent so badly, why don't they photocopy the pages and then get the pens and rulers out? :confused:

1) Photocopying is expensive if you need to use the entire book.
    2) I'm lazy.
    3) As Apex said, it's very handy to save you reading through all the crap.
    4) If you want pristine books to study from, the library is not the place to go, Hodges and Figgis would be better.

• Advertisement

yeah, the underlining can be usefull, altho i doubt the college would like you to do it

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~donalmcc/d/commerce3.pps

Oddly enough, I got this email just now. Tis making the rounds now...

That is fking class!

I ordered three of them the other week and they still haven't arrived.

John2 wrote:
    1) Photocopying is expensive if you need to use the entire book.
    2) I'm lazy.
    3) As Apex said, it's very handy to save you reading through all the crap.
    4) If you want pristine books to study from, the library is not the place to go, Hodges and Figgis would be better.

Trust me, i use the S Len collection - pristine is not something i expect! Have you seen the price of science textbooks new? I do have a few books that i use a lot that i bought second hand through amazon, miles cheaper than prices in Dublin. (and yes, one of them had been highlighted...)

I just don't understand why people highlight whole paragraphs, in some books i've come across there's more highlighted text on some pages than unadorned text.

And, when ppl do wonky underlining i'll end up squiinting at the subscript trying to decipher it.

cuckoo wrote:
    Trust me, i use the S Len collection - pristine is not something i expect! Have you seen the price of science textbooks new?
    Cheapest I could get this little number for 0716710889.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg was €95.

I had to have it for some reason though. I dunno why, call me crazy

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Cheapest I could get this little number for 0716710889.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg was €95.

I had to have it for some reason though. I dunno why, call me crazy

Hi, crazy! I understand though, there's something comforting about having the book and not having to fret about it not being in the library. Also, sometimes it works out cheaper when you factor in library fines (i am very absent minded sometimes).

Myth wrote:
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~donalmcc/d/commerce3.pps

Oddly enough, I got this email just now. Tis making the rounds now...
    Argh, I only have pps viewer, so I couldn't open it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

no microsoft power point?

Eh I only have pps viewer too but I could open it. .pps=powerpoint show no?

• Advertisement

cuckoo wrote:
    Trust me, i use the S Len collection - pristine is not something i expect! Have you seen the price of science textbooks new? I do have a few books that i use a lot that i bought second hand through amazon, miles cheaper than prices in Dublin. (and yes, one of them had been highlighted...)

I just don't understand why people highlight whole paragraphs, in some books i've come across there's more highlighted text on some pages than unadorned text.

And, when ppl do wonky underlining i'll end up squiinting at the subscript trying to decipher it.

Yeah the science textbooks are scary expensive but if you shop in hodges and figgis at the right time of year you can get those €15 vouchers when you spend €100 and combine that with the internet you should be able to get your core textbooks for the year new at a reasonable price.

A word of advice for any SF sciencers wanting to do biochem, neuroscience or genetics: Buy Stryer's biochemistry in second year. It will save your life repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i bought that book and never looked at it. how stupid i am. cool book thou. i'll read it over the some. lol

That and Purves's Neuroscience (what a name!) are my two cornerstones. Without them the wall will fall

Pet wrote:
    Argh, I only have pps viewer, so I couldn't open it..
    www.openoffice.org

Darth Bobo wrote:
    Why thank you.

Pet wrote:
    Why thank you.
    nps :)

openoffice is great, we chould use it ion college, along with Firefox

/me screams HACK TEH PLANET!

( yes, i am sad enough to have Bought a FireFox T-shirt

And some depts do use firefox in college, namely CS and maths.....

lol class :)

aye, i wish ISS extended it to all the machines....

any ISS PEOPLE HERE< CAN YOU PM ME?

• Advertisement

umm i don't believe there is any of them here....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement