Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Did no study yesterday.. and the exhaustiong I'm feeling after badminton is making me think I'm not going to get any done today either..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

scruttocks wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble attaching with myzone of late?

Yes. Only in FF though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TheAmateur wrote: »
    +1, except mine's not til tuesday... so I suppose I don't have it as bad... What exam have you got? 1E2 calculus for us 1st year engineers... you'd probably prefer to have ours actually, you being in TP an all, integrating with your eyes closed...:pac:
    Baza210 wrote: »
    Did no study yesterday.. and the exhaustiong I'm feeling after badminton is making me think I'm not going to get any done today either..

They are probably the simplest exams you will do in trinity.

Mine dont start till Friday but I'll have spent 14 hours this weekend studying and its a pain in the arse. Lucky I'm broke and there is nothing else to do

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Well there's one definition I'll definitely know for the exam... the definition of cold comfort;
    They are probably the simplest exams you will do in trinity.
    now i just hope it comes up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

i was planning on studying everything on the exam this weekend. went to ennsikillin on saturday and went out that night. then went on xbox live all day today. so basically that leaves tonite and monday to study this entire exam. :( so fu*ked...

anyone know where the past maths exam papers are, can't find them anywhere. thanks. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Peleus wrote: »
    i was planning on studying everything on the exam this weekend. went to ennsikillin on saturday and went out that night. then went on xbox live all day today. so basically that leaves tonite and monday to study this entire exam. :( so fu*ked...

anyone know where the past maths exam papers are, can't find them anywhere. thanks. :D
    Only the annuals are available online.

So.. that came true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

So.. that came true.

Dont start that replying to your own comments crap...............Bad things will happen, or at least start to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

So.. that came true.

ah sure a day should be loads of time to study for it :P

Dont start that replying to your own comments crap...............Bad things will happen, or at least start to happen.
    What are you on about? Get mod status or gtfo.
    mathew wrote: »
    ah sure a day should be loads of time to study for it :P
    It'll be half a day by the time I wake up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 oogyoop

It bugs me that because I'm on placement, I get NO Easter holidays whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I have no sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I thought term was over... why the heck is college so busy? And people so loud in the hamilton? I seriously want hit that bint who keeps shrieking nonsensically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Schols.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I hate licking examination booklets..

Had a really nice chineese in Jimmy Chungs today after our class exam.. Turns out it wasn't so 'nice' after all.. Just thrown it all up :-( hope i'm recovered tomorrow.. Serious study needed for schols on wednesday.. :-( :-(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My essay (paper review project thingy) is not going well. Its significantly harder then I had anticipated and I'm feeling quite stupid.

Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

I have a schol exam today, spent last night puking my ring. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

*joins vom-wagon*

On the upside, at 4am this morning when I was revisiting the food I forced myself to eat yesterday (considering I've eaten almost nothing since Saturday), I was thinking about basis vectors... Now here's hoping I'm well enough to actually sit my linear algebra exam tomorrow morning.

*joins vom-wagon*

On the upside, at 4am this morning when I was revisiting the food I forced myself to eat yesterday (considering I've eaten almost nothing since Saturday), I was thinking about basis vectors... Now here's hoping I'm well enough to actually sit my linear algebra exam tomorrow morning.

have some feel good vibes :)

I had the same kind of experience.. All I could think about while having another look at the chineese was double and triple integrals.. I couldnt get them out of my head at all.. Was a bit weird...

• Advertisement

I HATE learning off proofs. It just seems so pointless.
    I know the formulae, I know they can be proved if needs be. I'm told they work and know when to use them. Why do I need to know how to come up with them??
    And its not even knowing how to come up with them. It just a matter of learning the steps off by heart, which is even more pointless.
    This sort of learning does nothing for me... :(:(

I know the formulae, I know they can be proved if needs be. I'm told they work and know when to use them. Why do I need to know how to come up with them??
    And its not even knowing how to come up with them. It just a matter of learning the steps off by heart, which is even more pointless.
    You have prove yourself as a scholar :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

I dunno, in my learning-off-proofs days I often found that the proof gave me a) an insight into the relationships that make the theorem true, and helped me understand it better, and b) good methodological ideas for solving problems in exams.

scruttocks wrote: »
    I dunno, in my learning-off-proofs days I often found that the proof gave me a) an insight into the relationships that make the theorem true, and helped me understand it better, and b) good methodological ideas for solving problems in exams.

Its not theorems tho.. its formulae..
    So derivations rather than proofs probably.

They're fairly uncomplicated formulae, just have long derivations. It does give a bit of an insight into where the formulae come from but I still dont see the point in having to learn the derivation off.

I dont believe in learning by rote at all, I do think we should know and understand all of the formulae and equations we use.. But I still think its quite pointless having to learn the derivation by heart just to reproduce it in an exam. It doesnt really test anything other than memory, and short term memory at that.

Asking questions that involve manipulation of the general formula would be far more beneficial and give a much better representation of what we know..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not theorems tho.. its formulae..
    So derivations rather than proofs probably.

They're fairly uncomplicated formulae, just have long derivations. It does give a bit of an insight into where the formulae come from but I still dont see the point in having to learn the derivation off.

I dont believe in learning by rote at all, I do think we should know and understand all of the formulae and equations we use.. But I still think its quite pointless having to learn the derivation by heart just to reproduce it in an exam. It doesnt really test anything other than memory, and short term memory at that.

Asking questions that involve manipulation of the general formula would be far more beneficial and give a much better representation of what we know..

I guess the point of the exam is trying to test that you know where the formula came from. That is different form knowing it off by heart (and by no means do I mean to imply that I always did the former), but ultimately a lot of lecturers view giving formula questions as easier then calculation questions and they are there to help you. But there is the argument that if you don't know where an equation came from then you don't understand it (I don't necessarily always agree with this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I drove all the way to Waterforward to watch the Skyfest but we arrived late after littering Ireland's tidiest town. Having to watch it on a tiny TV in travellodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Back in Ireland :( Long-distance sucks sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

On Boards at 3:50 in the morning.....:(:mad:

devinejay wrote: »

Find some more active fora man.. ones with alternate timezones (Badminton's popularity in Asia ftw), or ones with no respect for timezones at all (they generally begin with a /)

• Advertisement

devinejay wrote: »

Yea and sync your clocks.
    That post was a whole 2mins off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement