Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I think my dad and I will get my mum a 5800XM for her birthday. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a K800i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Baza210 wrote: »
    I think my dad and I will get my mum a 5800XM for her birthday. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a K800i.

I'm guessing these are types of automatic rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The most logical assumption to make. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Bloody Paddy's Parade. I can't get to the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Baza210 wrote: »

Phones, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Just woke up from a crazy dream and have turned to the internet for solace... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Essay due monday ruining the last week of holidays!!

No study at all the last three weeks...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yay, semi-hangovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I think it's retarded we have to remember 3 different passwords just to use all of TCD's online resources (Local, MyZone and External websites). Why did they make people change their passwords the first day back of term?
    ISServices:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

rc28 wrote: »
    I think it's retarded we have to remember 3 different passwords just to use all of TCD's online resources (Local, MyZone and External websites). Why did they make people change their passwords the first day back of term?
    ISServices:mad:
    Security reasons? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Security reasons? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I love the :rolleyes: smiley.

Also, what's the point in getting us to change the password we use only to access the net rather then the password we use to access our emails. Surely emails are more important to protect than someone using my PW to browse facebook on their own laptop?? Why do we need a 3rd password just to view past exam papers (local) too?

I've only got one password, for them all....

I've only got one password, for them all....

The first password we were issued with at the start of the year only works with tcd local. Then, when setting up myzone, I remember the ISServices instructions we got said we had to create a new password for mail and external web access (i was using the same for both). Then today, the password for external web access (and webcourse) had to be changed again but myzone stays with the old one.
    I don't see why they can't all change at the same time(for 'security reasons') or why the various services can't be more integrated.

The first password we were issued with at the start of the year only works with tcd local. Then, when setting up myzone, I remember the ISServices instructions we got said we had to create a new password for mail and external web access (i was using the same for both). Then today, the password for external web access (and webcourse) had to be changed again but myzone stays with the old one.
    I don't see why they can't all change at the same time(for 'security reasons') or why the various services can't be more integrated.
    Yeah I think i changed them all to "Wonderwall88" at the start of the year. I got an email last week sayin' to change them but I haven't had any problems with anything today so, but then again the email said they expires after 180 days, so i guess it may be different for everybody! Mine's up on the, 31-Mar-2009, tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out then.
    Also, this applies to the COLLEGE NETWORK only.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Also, what's the point in getting us to change the password we use only to access the net rather then the password we use to access our emails. Surely emails are more important to protect than someone using my PW to browse facebook on their own laptop?? Why do we need a 3rd password just to view past exam papers (local) too?
    Emails are your own responability.

ISS have to protect the internet services they provide. Using a password to access the internet allows them to monitor who is using what, and viewing what sites.

And how would you like everyone and anyone going in to view your exam results etc? thats why the local access passwords are there.

That said, I dont see why they couldn't authenticate the local access requests using NTLM like they do with most other internet services in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

My laptop ate my essay, so I've got tonight to re-write it. And it's not even that it's that bad, I still have all my notes and everything, it's just so hard to start into it all over again...bleh.

(The first person to 'helpfully' comment that I should back things up more rigourously is getting internet-punched in the gooter)

shay_562 wrote: »
    My laptop ate my essay, so I've got tonight to re-write it. And it's not even that it's that bad, I still have all my notes and everything, it's just so hard to start into it all over again...bleh.

(The first person to 'helpfully' comment that I should back things up more rigourously is getting internet-punched in the gooter)
    You know what, it would help alot if you back up your work regularly.

And what you mean by "ate"?
    What program are you using?
    Did you try document recovery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If you never saved it once to your disk its gone forever. And you'll at best only recover to the last saved version.

Oh, you, Peslo.

Boston wrote: »
    If you never saved it once to your disk its gone forever. And you'll at best only recover to the last saved version.
    This is true.

But every little helps....

• Advertisement

Enough with the peslo stuff. It doesn't matter if he's peslo, whom ever "unregistered" is, he's behaving himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Those student union gimps are annoying me with their youtube videos they show at the start of lectures. I must get on to the student union about that.:rolleyes:

Boston wrote: »
    Enough with the peslo stuff. It doesn't matter if he's peslo, whom ever "unregistered" is, he's behaving himself.
    Reminding you of your younger self joe?

Reminding me of my old age. I can't even remember why he was banned or why I should care, hence I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

MS Word on Vista. Had saved it to my hard drive. Tried Auto Recovery, nothing. No Auto Saved work. No record of any Word files being created on the day that I wrote it up last time. No record of any Word files being modified on the day after when, after midnight, I finally added a bibliography and finished it. Nothing in the Recycling Bin. Nothing in hidden files and folders, nothing anywhere. It's literally like it disappeared into a black hole - if I didn't know any better, I'd swear I hallucinated writing the damn thing. Either I accidentally deleted it and did the most thorough job I've ever done of deleting anything, or my computer hates me.

And Peslo was banned for ignoring mod warnings then using multiple IDs to circumvent that. But as I recall, the last alter ego disappeared, and that was the end of that. That this "Unregistered." chap showed up a day or two later is pure coincidence, no doubt.

**** it. I'm going to go to sleep for a few hours now, get up early and write it tomorrow. My brain's just too fried right now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Can't get no sleep. Despite having had a long and physically active day. I think I'll read some Economist articles on banking reform in order to induce sleep.

Lee Won, f*** year. Korean Pop Robots 9000.

When something is deleted it really isn't deleted, the 1 and 0s remain on the hard drive until they are over written by new data. There are applications which can read the raw data and extract it even if you can't. That said, I don't know how well it works with words files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I keep Restoration on a USB stick for when I stupidly delete important files, give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Why the hell does the Trinity ID card not have our date of birth on it.
    Im jealous of my mates in NUIG who can use theirs in the off licenses. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement