Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

amacachi wrote: »
    Have to cover the triceratops as well?

I thanked this because I believe you made a paleontology joke. If this is not the case, I feel retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

At least all that learning **** off to get 600 points in the Leaving is backed up by a course that demands you learn more **** off by heart.

Education fail.

May I just ask if you've studied medicine before? I can't claim to have a lot of experience, having left the course a year after I started, but I'll just go into a little of how it works (or worked..):

Yes, you can go about it the way some students go about the Leaving Cert, learn everything off and do just great - for the first year or two anyway, beyond that I'd say you're kinda screwed...

Alternatively, you can learn by doing things. Take anatomy for example. You could spend your time staring at diagrams and notes until it eventually sinks in, or you could spend an hour in the anatomy demonstration room with some friends and I can tell you it goes in a hell of a lot faster. Best way to learn everything about the anatomy of the heart is by playing hot potato with questions..

Obviously there are some subjects where rote learning is probably the easiest way to go about things, but you really need to understand the material you're studying, it's not actually just as easy as that unless you plan on forgetting it within 5 minutes.. not a good idea if you're planning on being a doctor.

Any time I learned anything properly was during our case based tutorials. There, you put the information from lectures into a practical situation where you had to diagnose a particular case. You don't do that by learning off by heart, it's about applying information. Now I don't know exactly how they do things here in Trinity as regards medicine, but afaik they have a PBL (problem based learning) system in place which seems pretty similar to the case based tutorials I did back in RCSI.

So, in short, no. No, it's not just rote learning. If you are a medicine student just learning things by heart, I'd imagine you wouldn't do very well when it comes to rotations (and real life medicine when you get there!). The best thing was to *think* about what your information was useful for in a practical situation and remember it that way. That's what'll keep it in your head for a long time after and that's the way it should be done and is now the way it's being encouraged to be done in most colleges.

I've just talked around in circles there but I know what I just said made some form of sense. :pac: If you learn it they way you're supposed to, it's not rote learning..

Aoibheann wrote: »
    May I just ask if you've studied medicine before? I can't claim to have a lot of experience, having left the course a year after I started, but I'll just go into a little of how it works (or worked..):

Yes, you can go about it the way some students go about the Leaving Cert, learn everything off and do just great - for the first year or two anyway, beyond that I'd say you're kinda screwed...

Alternatively, you can learn by doing things. Take anatomy for example. You could spend your time staring at diagrams and notes until it eventually sinks in, or you could spend an hour in the anatomy demonstration room with some friends and I can tell you it goes in a hell of a lot faster. Best way to learn everything about the anatomy of the heart is by playing hot potato with questions..

Obviously there are some subjects where rote learning is probably the easiest way to go about things, but you really need to understand the material you're studying, it's not actually just as easy as that unless you plan on forgetting it within 5 minutes.. not a good idea if you're planning on being a doctor.

Any time I learned anything properly was during our case based tutorials. There, you put the information from lectures into a practical situation where you had to diagnose a particular case. You don't do that by learning off by heart, it's about applying information. Now I don't know exactly how they do things here in Trinity as regards medicine, but afaik they have a PBL (problem based learning) system in place which seems pretty similar to the case based tutorials I did back in RCSI.

So, in short, no. No, it's not just rote learning. If you are a medicine student just learning things by heart, I'd imagine you wouldn't do very well when it comes to rotations (and real life medicine when you get there!). The best thing was to *think* about what your information was useful for in a practical situation and remember it that way. That's what'll keep it in your head for a long time after and that's the way it should be done and is now the way it's being encouraged to be done in most colleges.

I've just talked around in circles there but I know what I just said made some form of sense. :pac: If you learn it they way you're supposed to, it's not rote learning..

This post is far too long for three in the morning.

dan719 wrote: »
    This post is far too long for three in the morning.

Yes, but I'm horribly awake atm, largely due to the fact that I woke up at half four in the afternoon.. I'm not even awake 12 hours yet like! :pac:

Also, if you actually read it, it has very little in the line of content, more it's generally disagreeing with the previous post!

Yes, but I'm horribly awake atm, largely due to the fact that I woke up at half four in the afternoon.. I'm not even awake 12 hours yet like! :pac:

Also, if you actually read it, it has very little in the line of content, more it's generally disagreeing with the previous post!

I did read it. In fact I even thanked it.:p

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote: »
    I did read it. In fact I even thanked it.:p

Aha, so you did. My rant was thanksworthy? \o/ But I talked in circles.. CIRCLES! Clearly I need to do so more often.. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pfft, registered post. May as well have used pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

No hot water in Goldsmith :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

amacachi wrote: »
    Have to cover the triceratops as well?

Lulz dinosaurz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Back to bitching, I've slept 8 hours a night for the last 3 nights but also 3-4 hours each afternoon. Really getting on my nerves being so bloody tired the whole time.

• Advertisement

Mystery trips are tiresome. Well, mainly checking in 40+ people is far more effort than it's worth. I got an hour and a half of sleep and website feckups aren't improving things. However, ryanair customer support are actually decent. Although if I don't get my callback soon I may change my mind.. >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Mystery trips are tiresome. Well, mainly checking in 40+ people is far more effort than it's worth. I got an hour and a half of sleep and website feckups aren't improving things. However, ryanair customer support are actually decent. Although if I don't get my callback soon I may change my mind.. >.<

But the destination (keeping the secret of course) in question is rather epic!

Craguls wrote: »
    But the destination (keeping the secret of course) in question is rather epic!

Did I tell you? Damn, I gotta keep secrets better.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Did I tell you? Damn, I gotta keep secrets better.. :pac:

Told me too :D

Fad wrote: »
    Told me too :D

I think I told you both simultaneously. McDonalds, was it? Mmm, crappy food..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Told me too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I think I told you both simultaneously. McDonalds, was it? Mmm, crappy food..

Can't remember, I think it was. But I do recall being jealous. I love country in question was there this summer.

Fringe wrote: »
    Told me too...

Hush you! :P They'll all know in less than two days. God, I need sleep before then or I'll die over there.
    Craguls wrote: »
    Can't remember, I think it was. But I do recall being jealous. I love country in question was there this summer.

You should come! Loads of people pulled out.. and now there's a load of spare flights. Problem is it costs BILLIONS OF EURO to change the named person on a flight. Goddamn them! *shakes fist* I've never actually been there and I'm dying to go. And I have my boarding pass and all now so it's almost real! \o/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Can I have a TL;DR version please? :P

Jonathan wrote: »
    Can I have a TL;DR version please? :P

Medicine =/= rote learning alone unless one is planning on faaaaaaailing miserably as a doctor? :pac:

(The initial tl;dr version that came to mind was horribly offensive though, that's kinda why I talked in circles. But that was easy \o/)

My brain has ceased to function now. However, everyone who's bothered to send me passport details has now been checked in and the rest can feck off.. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Learn to spot a tongue in cheek at 3 o'clock in the morning.:pac:

Learn to spot a tongue in cheek at 3 o'clock in the morning.:pac:

Learn to aim to offend less people at 3 o'clock in the morning! :P It's 3am, I have serious thoughts only then. SERIOUS ones. I can't spot sarcasm/tongue-in-cheek remarks from the serious ones at the best of times, let alone 3am.. >_>

Yet another reason why people should say what they mean on the internet... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Spam @tcd.ie

Severe Heartburn. Ehh....horrible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Can't get internet for another 2 weeks because I'm using Windows 7. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

It rains every day.

It rains every day.

Welcome to Ireland, dickhead. /hardy bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Dont like that shite, pure cheek now, dont like that shite!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Wats the shtory wish that bad manners like? Come on now our boy, sort it out, sort it out.

• Advertisement

Jammyc wrote: »
    Dont like that shite, pure cheek now, dont like that shite!

If he comes near me, I'll shlap his jaw, shlap his jaw ashunder hey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement