Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The issue I take with Denerick's post is not that it was trolling, but that it was poorly thought out. "I guess the truism is true". Wtf. I guess your post demonstrated a failure to understand the absolute nature of cause and effect as well as an inability to empathise with others (A trait you share with psychopaths). You should study more logic and less history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Boston wrote: »
    The issue I take with Denerick's post is not that it was trolling, but that it was poorly thought out. "I guess the truism is true". Wtf. I guess your post demonstrated a failure to understand the absolute nature of cause and effect as well as an inability to empathise with others (A treat you share with psychopaths). You should study more logic and less history.

It was epic troll fail. Let me cower in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

good boy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's getting to the stage where I feel I know the people in 1937, I hate when this happens and it's nice out. Damn study.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

F*cking Iceland and their f*cking volcanos

Mcbain-VOLCANO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gen10

Having 11 exams :mad::(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Update on the library fines-blamed it on technology and told them I was away with DUBC over the weeken- they waived the 46 euro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

okay so i have had enough of dublin landlords and their greed....my partner and i recently lost our jobs we where living in rathmines town centre and ended up having to move out as we couldnt afford the rent anymore and the fecker wouldnt take rent allowance as he isnt registered....as we cant afford a car and are due our first child in august we didnt want to move to far out so found a house in harolds cross
    after two days we had a waterfall in the sitting room, the dirt of the kitchen is a health hazard and panda wont take our bins so we have to order new ones from dublin city council to be honest the house is filthy which you only really notice once we moved in...the new landlord did get the the leak sorted and gave us a new extractor fan but once he found out we where on social welfare his attitude changed completely....we are only here a month but in this month he has threatened to kick us out if we wont sign the rent allowance over to him and wants to change our lease so we pay him by the week and not by the month as per our contract, as the rent is our only bargaining power when it comes to getting stuff fixed i dont want to do it but have no choice....
    also the letting agent said that it would be no problem to take the beds out of the spare room so we could get the babys stuff but the landlord has said we cant do that so now i have no idea why we moved here i really dont need any of this at six months pregnant and im so sick of landlords and having to pay money to live in their **** holes
    i know renting is dead money but when your renting you have no way of saving for a deposit and are stuck in this horrible circle i really wish that i didnt exist anymore

edellc wrote: »
    i know renting is dead money but when your renting you have no way of saving for a deposit and are stuck in this horrible circle i really wish that i didnt exist anymore

Holy **** man... Ring the Samaritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Okay. Five more minutes of browsing random xkcd strips, then I'll start my study for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Sore throat of doom.

Balls are always the same. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Sore throat of doom.

Balls are always the same. :rolleyes:
    Whoa I read that wrong for a minute there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Jammyc wrote: »
    Whoa I read that wrong for a minute there

Lol, I just saw that too.

More the yelling and the cold and the alcohol and the cigars. Dont know why there are always cigars.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Lol, I just saw that too.

More the yelling and the cold and the alcohol and the cigars. Dont know why there are always cigars.

Didn't you know? Rental suits now all come with cufflinks, a bowtie and the cheapest cigar available. Mafia impressions are optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

gotta stop geotagging twitpics :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Ugh, seven exams, starting next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I thought I had been through exam fear before. This is disgusting. First exam in a week, on page four of the lecture notes. Can't make head nor tail of any of it. Dropping out looks seriously attractive right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

dan719 wrote: »
    I thought I had been through exam fear before. This is disgusting. First exam in a week, on page four of the lecture notes. Can't make head nor tail of any of it. Dropping out looks seriously attractive right now.
    What about supplementals? You could surprise yourself in the exam itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I know how you feel. But get stuck into it. Talk to people in your class about the topic you don't understand. Sometimes you go round in circles looking at notes and haven't a clue what it's about. It can turn out to be the simplest thing but you've gotten so worked up about it you can't see it.

Still worth giving it your best shot.

Was in library myself today 9.30-9.30 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Uck I know that feeling all too well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I don't even have the option of dropping out; I'm sitting my finals starting next week and still haven't even started my final year project report due to illness during the semester. I should probably wave goodbye to a decent degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭underthetides

Library rant.

Got email the other day saying I had overdue book and owed fines to the tune of a hundred when I had blatantly already returned the book:mad:

Also - librarians/students really need to start enforcing the 'fifteen-minute rule' in the library. Not one spare seat in the Ussher the other day, because people were just dumping their stuff and then fecking off for ages. I know some people who have taken to commandeering a free room in the arts block and using that to study in, as the BLU is just too ''full.'' These days, if you don't get at either 9am or after 6pm, you can kiss goodbye to a seat - especially if you're looking for one with a laptop plug. It's great that so many students are studying hard, yadda yadda yadda, but the library really needs to either increase the space available, or start strictly enforcing the said rule, where if you're away for more than 15 minutes you lose your seat. It's just plain unfair and inconvenient otherwise.

I know, I've got this great seat in the arts block and have been hogging it for the last two weeks. Its Darwinism mate, survival of the fittest, just set your alarm clock that bit earlier and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Library rant.

Got email the other day saying I had overdue book and owed fines to the tune of a hundred when I had blatantly already returned the book:mad:

Also - librarians/students really need to start enforcing the 'fifteen-minute rule' in the library. Not one spare seat in the Ussher the other day, because people were just dumping their stuff and then fecking off for ages. I know some people who have taken to commandeering a free room in the arts block and using that to study in, as the BLU is just too ''full.'' These days, if you don't get at either 9am or after 6pm, you can kiss goodbye to a seat - especially if you're looking for one with a laptop plug. It's great that so many students are studying hard, yadda yadda yadda, but the library really needs to either increase the space available, or start strictly enforcing the said rule, where if you're away for more than 15 minutes you lose your seat. It's just plain unfair and inconvenient otherwise.

I can empathise with you but but I don't think building bigger libraries is really the answer. They are barely a quarter full during the year and most people only set foot in them for the two weeks leading up to exams. A bigger library would just be lying there empty for 90% of the academic year.

The solution, as you already pointed out, is to enforce the 15 minute rule. Librarians aren't going to do it either so do it yourself. Don't hesitate for a second. I threw a bunch of books onto the floor the other day after watching a desk lying idle for over 30mins. A "foreign national" came back after a while and meekly gathered his stuff from the floor complete with my footprints all over them. He was too pússy to open his mouth to me so he just wandered away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Library rant.

This has happened to me before (though the fines weren't nearly that high). Just go into them and tell them, I always found they were pretty reasonable. If you can go up to the library and find the exact book you returned then that should be enough for them to get rid of the fines.
    Denerick wrote:
    I know, I've got this great seat in the arts block and have been hogging it for the last two weeks. Its Darwinism mate, survival of the fittest, just set your alarm clock that bit earlier and you'll be fine.
    No, the 15 minute rule is in place specifically to dispel that childish attitude, and I agree that it should start being enforced. If you are sitting at your seat all day only leaving for very short breaks, all well and good. But if you're leaving it unattended for long periods of time, then eventually you can expect to have your stuff moved and your seat taken (and we can expect a thread from you expressing your outrage at the injustice of it all and blaming it on the SU).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Denerick wrote: »
    It must be coming up to troll exam time, eh Denerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

It's up to the Library users to enforce the 15 minute rule - it would be impossible for Library Staff to monitor each and every desk in order to make sure that it has been abandoned for longer than a quarter of an hour. I am constantly amazed the reluctance to do this - people really would rather study sitting on the floor than run the risk of offending the extremely annoying people who abandon "their" desk for hours at a time. Honestly - why be so concerned about their feelings? To hell with them!

Are you really going to let people like this dictate where you can study?

You're about to enter the most "challenging" labour market in years - THAT'S going to be survival of the fittest. Start by taking control of your environment and giving yourself the chance to study comfortably.

No, the 15 minute rule is in place specifically to dispel that childish attitude, and I agree that it should start being enforced. If you are sitting at your seat all day only leaving for very short breaks, all well and good. But if you're leaving it unattended for long periods of time, then eventually you can expect to have your stuff moved and your seat taken (and we can expect a thread from you expressing your outrage at the injustice of it all and blaming it on the SU).

I tend to come in around 9, head off around 10, buy a newspaper, read it, have an enjoyable stroll around town and hit the library for a few hours study around 12. Then around 2 I go get my lunch, procrastinate for a few hours and end up back in the library around 4. Then I do a few hours, leave the books on the desk, and smile smugly as I leave the library around half 5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Denerick wrote: »
    I tend to come in around 9, head off around 10, buy a newspaper, read it, have an enjoyable stroll around town and hit the library for a few hours study around 12. Then around 2 I go get my lunch, procrastinate for a few hours and end up back in the library around 4. Then I do a few hours, leave the books on the desk, and smile smugly as I leave the library around half 5.

I'm going to find your desk, and take a massive shit over all your stuff while you're away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement