Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

It's pretty damn hard to get an answer to a pretty simple question when the Med Office tell you to ask the department and the department tell you to ask the Med Office.

Grrrrr..... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

bythewoods wrote: »
    It's pretty damn hard to get an answer to a pretty simple question when the Med Office tell you to ask the department and the department tell you to ask the Med Office.

Grrrrr..... :mad:

Whacha asking them, might I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ilovechocolate

i hate repeats :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

i hate repeats :(
    What happens if you fail a repeat?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Whacha asking them, might I ask?

Is compensation allowed in the HFF exams with Semester 2 stuff?
    theowen wrote: »

...You repeat the year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A kitten dies.

Is compensation allowed in the HFF exams with Semester 2 stuff?

...You repeat the year.
    Shivers..., is there no yayyy thread for this forum, no?:p

Shivers..., is there no yayyy thread for this forum, no?:p

Yes.

You won't have much use for this once you see how frustrating life is made by Medicine :P

Yes.

You won't have much use for this once you see how frustrating life is made by Medicine :P
    You're slowly chipping away at the perfect vision I had of medicine...:mad::p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Super supps. ¬_¬

• Advertisement

Super supps. ¬_¬

I forgot about those.

Is there a certain criteria needed for them PFM? Or can anyone who fails get one...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I forgot about those.

Is there a certain criteria needed for them PFM? Or can anyone who fails get one...?

The usual case is where someone had to miss the annual exams due to illness (which of course must be certified, yada yada)/insert other reason cleared with the college. Then the supplemental exams are their first attempt at exams, so presumably they get the super-supps if they fail the supplementals in the interest of fairness - it wouldn't be fair for them to be deprived of a repeat because they were sick, or because of any other extenuating circumstances.

Edit:

From here:
    Special Examinations 2010
    Monday 11 October 2010
    Special Examinations 2010 begin on Monday 11 October 2010. Applications for Special Examinations, which should be submitted by the student’s College tutor to the Senior Lecturer, will be considered only in exceptional circumstances. In all cases a fee is charged for a special examination (please see current Calendar for details). Special examinations are not granted for all or any part of degree examinations.

I forgot about those.

As far as I'm aware, you need to have some Serious Reason for having failed your supps (hospital, bereavement or the like), or be good at lying.

I missed like, 6 weeks in Semester 1 with various bouts of tonsilitis and the likes. And I gave the Med Office a bunch of doctor's notes. And then I failed a semester 1 exam...

Hey, maybe I could swing 'em if I tried really hard. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A good cry always helps things along nicely. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

It's two o'clock in the morning. I have achieved nothing today. At all. Cannot sleep until at least five hours complete.

May not be sleeping for a while.

I hate econometrics with all my being.

Why didn't I do english?

Bleurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ilovechocolate

Aoibheann wrote: »
    The usual case is where someone had to miss the annual exams due to illness (which of course must be certified, yada yada)/insert other reason cleared with the college. Then the supplemental exams are their first attempt at exams, so presumably they get the super-supps if they fail the supplementals in the interest of fairness - it wouldn't be fair for them to be deprived of a repeat because they were sick, or because of any other extenuating circumstances.

Oh wow thanks never knew they existed! I have med certs covering the whole of february to end of may because of glandular fever and strep throat. Do you think that would count as extenuating circumstances enough? And if so, by when do I need to apply does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Oh wow thanks never knew they existed! I have med certs covering the whole of february to end of may because of glandular fever and strep throat. Do you think that would count as extenuating circumstances enough? And if so, by when do I need to apply does anyone know?

First step would probably be to contact your tutor. They'll get in touch with the senior lecturer for you and you'll work from there.

I would imagine the circumstances have to be afflicting you during the repeats period, but if you had an illness for so long maybe that counts... Hm, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boardwalker

An Arts degree is a proper education. Anything in Humanities is real education. Everything else... like Science, Biology etc. is merely vocational and technical. However, we who are educated with ARTS degrees do need you types who are trained in specific sciences, so we welcome you to our universities. :)

Pet wrote: »
    Okay, I am bloody sick of how boring science is. And it's only the start of my second week!

Biology is boring and crap.

Maths is boring and crap.

Physics is boring and crap, but also confusing.

I have too many hours of lectures in a day.

Bloody arts students. (enough said).

Etc..

(bear in mind i'll probably be full of joy tomorrow..)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

An Arts degree is a proper education. Anything in Humanities is real education. Everything else... like Science, Biology etc. is merely vocational and technical. However, we who are educated with ARTS degrees do need you types who are trained in specific sciences, so we welcome you to our universities. :)

You realise he posted that back in 2004 yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boardwalker

Craguls wrote: »

You realise it's still online today - 24 August 2010 - yes?
    I'll explain. It's like books, see? The content is king yes? Date not so important. If we followed the implied logic of your post, no on would ever address anything that had been written prior to a certain date. yes?

I would imagine the circumstances have to be afflicting you during the repeats period, but if you had an illness for so long maybe that counts... Hm, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this at all.

I think if the illness/whatever caused you to miss the regular annual exams, then the supps would be treated as your first sitting and if necessary, the super-supps would then be treated as a repeat. Again, I'm not entirely certain on this, but that's what I've generally been led to believe. Anyway, hopefully everyone shall get on grand during the supplementals so they won't have to worry about the possibility of super-supps!

An Arts degree is a proper education.

Everything else... like Science, Biology etc. is merely vocational and technical.

Excellent. Those of us with two+ degrees from Trinity (e.g. BA BAI) are the best of both worlds so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Craguls wrote: »
    Desperate troll is desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Someone stole my Jaffa cakes out of the kitchen :mad:

Getting annoyed I've to wait agess to actually start college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Wish some people would just F*CK OFF for a while.........................:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

I think if the illness/whatever caused you to miss the regular annual exams, then the supps would be treated as your first sitting and if necessary, the super-supps would then be treated as a repeat. Again, I'm not entirely certain on this, but that's what I've generally been led to believe. Anyway, hopefully everyone shall get on grand during the supplementals so they won't have to worry about the possibility of super-supps!

I don't think that the above is correct. Many years ago some people thought that those who missed that annual examination were entitled to two attempts, but my understanding is the the Senior Lecturer's Office doesn't see things that way - and the formal letters granting people permission to sit a paper as a first attempt in September now generally include a boilerplate paragraph to make it clear that failure at the supplemental session doesn't entitle a candidate to special supplementals. In other words, there is no automatic entitlement to two bites at the cherry.

AFAIK, permission to sit special supplementals is only granted in 'exceptional' cases, recognized as such by an Appeals committee or by the Senior Lecturer.

• Advertisement

dabh wrote: »
    I don't think that the above is correct. Many years ago some people thought that those who missed that annual examination were entitled to two attempts, but my understanding is the the Senior Lecturer's Office doesn't see things that way - and the formal letters granting people permission to sit a paper as a first attempt in September now generally include a boilerplate paragraph to make it clear that failure at the supplemental session doesn't entitle a candidate to special supplementals. In other words, there is no automatic entitlement to two bites at the cherry.

AFAIK, permission to sit special supplementals is only granted in 'exceptional' cases, recognized as such by an Appeals committee or by the Senior Lecturer.

Oh, I agree that you're not automatically entitled to it. Definitely not. But if you have legitimate reasons, you seem to be permitted to sit them. Obviously there are various hoops to jump through, and I completely understand this because there's a lot of people who'd try to get the super-supps if it wasn't for all these procedures put in place (I'd say they get a lot of fake sob stories!). I didn't mean to imply that one would automatically be allowed to sit them, and apologies if that's what it looked like - and reading back, that's exactly how it looked. I know that you have to go through various channels for what I said to come into play. I explain things poorly! I just meant that, extenuating circumstances taken into account, they generally seem to allow for special cases to take the exam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement