Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭charmer

Not quite a rant/bitch/moan, but I didn't want to start another thread:

Does anyone know how the teaching weeks/actual weeks line up?
    Like, I know this is week 8 of Hilary Term. We had 6 weeks of lectures, week 7 was reading week, so now first week back is week 8.

I have tutorials for teaching weeks 23,25,28,30,32. No idea how the weeks line up though!

http://www.tcd.ie/calendar/assets/pdf/academic-year-structure-2010-11.pdf

Calendar week column on the left handside :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Essay co-ordination is proving tricky, bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Rockhead wrote: »
    www.trinners4winners.com

Saw this on facebook the other day and well from what i hear it will actually be good when it gets going properly and seems like a good laugh but i dunno guess we're going to have to wait and see..
    What does everyone else think?

D.R cowboy??

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Same person as http://trinners4winners.tumblr.com/ or... what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Rockhead wrote: »
    www.trinners4winners.com

Saw this on facebook the other day and well from what i hear it will actually be good when it gets going properly and seems like a good laugh but i dunno guess we're going to have to wait and see..
    What does everyone else think?

A) Who the hell says "Trinners"?! That just makes me cringe.
    B) That's not ranting, bitching OR moaning. So subtle... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

charmer wrote: »

Awesome, thank you! So much for that week 28 tutorial anyway. Oh whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm never volunteering to edit and be in charge of a group project ever again, it's not worth the hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

(bringing it back to the first page of the forum)

Heat in the Hammo, Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Heat in the Hammo, Bloody hell.

^+1
    I'm convinced they think we sciencey types can't survive in cold temperatures.

I'm usually not bothered by other people's grammar/spelling, but why is it that 90% of people on boards can't spell "definitely"? I mean at first I thought people just made a lot of mistakes with it, but seriously, the amount of times I've seen it spelled defiantly. That's not a mistake, that's a whole other word!

I've no idea why it bothers me so much, but my god it fills me with anger and fury!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I've no idea why it bothers me so much, but my god it fills me with anger and fury!

The Irish use of "I've" without complementary "got" has much the same effect on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

NeuroCat wrote: »
    ^+1
    I'm convinced they think we sciencey types can't survive in cold temperatures.

At least it means we can get a computer in there...

Baza210 wrote: »
    The Irish use of "I've" without complementary "got" has much the same effect on me.

"I've" is "I have" abbreviated.

"I have no idea", you don't need "got" there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starling.

Dear girls talking loudly and munching on crisps in the computer room,

SHUT THE F*CK UP.

Or at least whisper. Or stopping eating hunky dorys. Please.

Yours sincerely,

Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Not being able to find a good seat in the library sucks. A lot. Bleugh. And it's not even like I can swan in early in the day and get one, seeing as I still have lectures/ labs for another few weeks. And a very silly sleeping pattern.

Would ye all stop studying so aggressively?

I probably said it last year but I'll say it again this year anyways:

ONE STUDY ROOM IN THE WHOLE OF THE HAMILTON!!?!??!?! ONE !! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Larianne wrote: »

Is the library not a study room?

Is the library not a study room?

For group study? Well yeah you do get a few idiots thinking that the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Just use an empty lecture theatre, that's what I did when I was giving grinds this week and it worked out just fine. Salmon/Synge both seemed to be free for quite a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

For group study? Well yeah you do get a few idiots thinking that the odd time.
    Ah, didn't know you meant group study. Definitely avoid the library in that case (god I hate those chatting bastards).

Maths/TPs etc. can use the maths department for group study which is nice, I dunno what anyone else is supposed to do. : p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I like eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

What's wrong with the ones in the Berkeley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Worriedgirl

Seat filler guy, you know who you are. I may look puny, but hell hath no fury :D Next time you won't be so lucky.

Just looked at last year's exam papers for French Politics. Needless to say .... f********ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Examinations office email 29th March :
    No changes may be made to any of these published timetables. The version of the timetables appearing on the College website is the definitive version.

Examinations office email today:
    It has been necessary to amend the annual examination timetables in some respects.
    Please check your timetable on the College website at the following web address as a matter of urgency.

Guessing this has something to do with the Queen :mad:
    Exam moved to Saturday, when I had something planned. Nine exams in eleven days now too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Burner- wrote: »
    Examinations office email 29th March :

Examinations office email today:

Guessing this has something to do with the Queen :mad:
    Exam moved to Saturday, when I had something planned. Nine exams in eleven days now too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Argh, forgot to bring a book back in time for counter reserve early closing. Even though I knew about it closing early. Anyone know where the best place to leave the book is? And what are counter reserve fines running at these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

"I've" is "I have" abbreviated.

"I have no idea", you don't need "got" there.

"€10 is all I've".

Does that seem right to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

If there's one exam I am going to fail, it will be contract law. Realllllllllly should have read the cases at the time. :/

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    "€10 is all I've".

Does that seem right to you?

It depends on the emphasis in the sentence. In the case of the above, I wouldn't say "€10 is all I've", I would say "€10 is all I have". Or more to the point I wouldn't phrase a sentence that way, I'd say "I only have €10".

When the emphasis of the sentence is on the possession of a physical thing, ie. the having itself, I would say "I've got a sofa" rather than "I've a sofa", whereas when the sofa is the emphasis, ie. the point is to define what it is that I have, I'd say "I've a sofa". While typing, I saw little importance in the phrase "I've no idea why", as it was part of a longer sentence, so I phrased it that way. If someone asks me "Do you have any idea why...?" I would say "Actually I've got no idea". It's all about emphasis, or where you grew up (apparently in England "got" is far more common).

In technical terms AFAIK, either is correct. I googled "use of got in english language" and picked the first link out of fairness. It claimed that either is correct, and the comments underneath showed a variety of opinions on either side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement