Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Justification: apparently, it's been Z-A twice and A-Z once before.

To be fair, as a K, it doesn't affect me either way, but seriously... we're all being examined in the same 3 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

What is taking the exam office so long to release the publication of exam results dates? According to this, they were supposed to be put up in March... it is now May :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Justification: apparently, it's been Z-A twice and A-Z once before.

To be fair, as a K, it doesn't affect me either way, but seriously... we're all being examined in the same 3 hours...

Surely the best thing about those anatomy exams is getting them out of the way? I loved them, but the utter RELIEF of being finished them was always amazing. The lecturers can be terrifying!

Tell your class to stop their whinging! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Mechanics was impossible

Mechanics was impossible

Mechanics is always impossible. >_< However, you will be immensely surprised about just how many people pass that course.. Mostly scraping it, but he's VERY generous.

Did you re-draw diagrams, mumble about forces, conservation of energy/momentum? Did you hand up any assignments this year? If so, you should be okay! He has to pass someone like! Just hope the bell curve goes your way. :)

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Mechanics is always impossible. >_< However, you will be immensely surprised about just how many people pass that course.. Mostly scraping it, but he's VERY generous.

Did you re-draw diagrams, mumble about forces, conservation of energy/momentum? Did you hand up any assignments this year? If so, you should be okay! He has to pass someone like! Just hope the bell curve goes your way. :)

Oh yeah. Diagram for everything, all forces and acceleration marked in, explained my reasoning behind everything, wrote down all the equations of motion for everything, attempted to solve them, etc.
    Yeah, for the first module. None for the second, which is where the problems arose...

Oh yeah. Diagram for everything, all forces and acceleration marked in, explained my reasoning behind everything, wrote down all the equations of motion for everything, attempted to solve them, etc.
    Yeah, for the first module. None for the second, which is where the problems arose...

If you've done the first, the second shouldn't matter too much! Seriously, some people just hand absolutely nothing up, and obviously fail then. If you make a decent stab at the paper though, he's really fair. I nearly fell over when I found out that I passed!

I hope it works out better than you think anyway, and good luck in the rest of the exams! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

For the second, if you redrew the diagrams and rewrote the question, you will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Might see you at the repeats so, but hopefully it won't come to that! I sort of knew the river question but some of the others I had only glanced over in the notes, like the first question about the time line, I hadn't a breeze!

No one I talked to had any idea about that time line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    No one I talked to had any idea about that time line.

That's good to know, heard someone say they covered it in Geology but still guessed everything. Really didn't think they'd ask it but it just means I'll have to cover everything next year, taking no chances!

Chemistry was quite disasterous today, I have twenty percent from the labs though, really hoping I managed to get another twenty today : \

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

The addition of further sockets in the BLU for next year would be ****ing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Maybe_Memories, Mechanics has been a problem subject for more than a few years in the department of Mathematics. From what I've heard, Kovacs is the first one to last more than one year in a while. He's a very interesting man, but tends to confuse people with his notation. That and it's difficult to stay focused during a mechanics lecture, no matter who's giving it, when it's your first time grappling with the material.

There really is a limit to how hard Kovacs can get with his marking. He's quite reasonable, and if you made a good effort at it, I'd say you'll pass, because Mechanics is a very challenging (and very interesting) subject.

P.S. Linear Algebra would have benefitted from us getting an extra half hour to the two we already had, the computational mathematics got very tedious in parts and the proof of the rank of a matrix product took me three pages to do! Maybe I could have been more succinct, but I wasn't able to cover the Jordan Normal Form question in as much depth as I would have liked.

Lisandro wrote: »
    Maybe_Memories, Mechanics has been a problem subject for more than a few years in the department of Mathematics. From what I've heard, Kovacs is the first one to last more than one year in a while. He's a very interesting man, but tends to confuse people with his notation. That and it's difficult to stay focused during a mechanics lecture, no matter who's giving it, when it's your first time grappling with the material.

There really is a limit to how hard Kovacs can get with his marking. He's quite reasonable, and if you made a good effort at it, I'd say you'll pass, because Mechanics is a very challenging (and very interesting) subject.

P.S. Linear Algebra would have benefitted from us getting an extra half hour to the two we already had, the computational mathematics got very tedious in parts and the proof of the rank of a matrix product took me three pages to do! Maybe I could have been more succinct, but I wasn't able to cover the Jordan Normal Form question in as much depth as I would have liked.

Yeah the computation in it were very tedious, i spent so much time on the Jordan Normal form and the sylvester's criterion I didn't even have time to start the last question.

Are you TP or maths?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe_Memories, Mechanics has been a problem subject for more than a few years in the department of Mathematics. From what I've heard, Kovacs is the first one to last more than one year in a while.

This second year mechanics?

Sergey Cherkis taught it for two years and Sergey Frolov for at least two and I think three.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    This second year mechanics?

Sergey Cherkis taught it for two years and Sergey Frolov for at least two and I think three.

No Kovacs is doing first year mechanics.

Frolov still has second year mechanics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No Kovacs is doing first year mechanics.

Frolov still has second year mechanics.

Ah, I see. Well, replacing Fry was always going to be difficult (not sure when he left mind).

First year mechanics tends to be marked reasonably easily. That said 30/36 people from the maths class failed it in my year (though 30/36 passed in TP). They all passed the repeats easily enough though. It can be tricky to get your head around mechanics initially.

Ah, I see. Well, replacing Fry was always going to be difficult (not sure when he left mind).

First year mechanics tends to be marked reasonably easily. That said 30/36 people from the maths class failed it in my year (though 30/36 passed in TP). They all passed the repeats easily enough though. It can be tricky to get your head around mechanics initially.

Never really had trouble with it. During my 5t/6th years days I was doing applied maths with a guy outside school. He gave me the basics and let me figure everything out myself. Which was great, and he made me do university level questions.

And I understand everything we've done, and can do all the problems he gave us. The exam just didn't go too well.

And oddly enough, I tend to do way worse in a maths exam when i have to write in pen.. much prefer writing in mechanical pencil.

Yeah the computation in it were very tedious, i spent so much time on the Jordan Normal form and the sylvester's criterion I didn't even have time to start the last question.

Are you TP or maths?

Theoretical Physics. And you? I don't know everyone in Maths, so we mightn't have met. I'm the only guy with long black hair (I think), so hopefully, I'm not too difficult to identify!

The sylvester's criterion question was very long-winded, it took me over half an hour to do. I saved time on the Jordan Normal Form and Cayley-Hamilton theorem questions, but that's because I didn't completely finish them.

I know it hasn't happened yet, but it probably will have by the time you read this so I'll give it a go:

Did you do Analysis this morning, and how did it go?

Ah, the disadvantages of pre-emptive conversation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Fry left the year before I came to college, which was 2007-2008.

Theoretical Physics. And you? I don't know everyone in Maths, so we mightn't have met. I'm the only guy with long black hair (I think), so hopefully, I'm not too difficult to identify!

The sylvester's criterion question was very long-winded, it took me over half an hour to do. I saved time on the Jordan Normal Form and Cayley-Hamilton theorem questions, but that's because I didn't completely finish them.

I know it hasn't happened yet, but it probably will have by the time you read this so I'll give it a go:

Did you do Analysis this morning, and how did it go?

Ah, the disadvantages of pre-emptive conversation...

Oh yes, I think I know you. Well, the only guy I know with long black hair in TP is [i'll send it in a pm], so I'm guessing that's you? And no, we haven't been formally introduced, I just tend to remember everyone's names.

I thought it went very well compared to Linear Algebra and Mechanics, but Pete generally does give fairly easy exams. Although question 4 caused a bit of annoyance.

What did you think of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

^^ Some people mightn't like their name being on a public forum!

Mark200 wrote: »
    ^^ Some people mightn't like their name being on a public forum!

Good point

Hey, I don't mind, I've nothing to hide. Yes, I am Jamie Donnelly, I'm sure we'll meet at some point, but make sure to let me know you're the same person as the one on boards! If you want to tell me your name, you can reveal it here or send me a message.

Today's exam was very reasonable. It could have been done in half an hour, but I chose to use the two hours to go into excruciating detail. I stopped short of proving Bolzano's theorem, which would have been going a bit too far.

I prefer to go by the premise that he wants us to assume nothing and build everything up from the basics. That said, he is rather succinct in his online answers. Question 4 became clear to be after a few minutes, but then again, it wasn't my first time encountering it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Hey, I don't mind, I've nothing to hide. Yes, I am Jamie Donnelly, I'm sure we'll meet at some point, but make sure to let me know you're the same person as the one on boards! If you want to tell me your name, you can reveal it here or send me a message.

Today's exam was very reasonable. It could have been done in half an hour, but I chose to use the two hours to go into excruciating detail. I stopped short of proving Bolzano's theorem, which would have been going a bit too far.

I prefer to go by the premise that he wants us to assume nothing and build everything up from the basics. That said, he is rather succinct in his online answers. Question 4 became clear to be after a few minutes, but then again, it wasn't my first time encountering it.

Sup Jamie! Yet another boardsie whose posts i get to read in their actual voice in my head, class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Maybe_Memories, Mechanics has been a problem subject for more than a few years in the department of Mathematics. From what I've heard, Kovacs is the first one to last more than one year in a while.

You make Trinity sound like Hogwarts.

andrew wrote: »
    Sup Jamie! Yet another boardsie whose posts i get to read in their actual voice in my head, class.

Hi Andrew, when I saw your username in the BESS thread, I knew it could only be one person! And that's despite the fact that there are probably about twenty Andrews currently studying BESS...

Actually, are there many others from the GMB who post on boards? I've seen Clíodhna post around here once or twice.
    Fringe wrote: »
    You make Trinity sound like Hogwarts.

Indeed, we all know that a certain high-ranking member of Slytherin, sorry, the Hist, has been eyeing that position for a while now...

If I see you on Friday before/after Algebra I'll make sure and say hello!

I tend to do things in a completely opposite fashion, which generally isn't the best idea in a pure mathematics module.
    For example, I'm someone who doesn't care why some mathematical statement is true, all I care about is that it is true and that I can apply it in some area of physics, preferably to mechanics. I don't care about experiments either, or why the physics is true, so I don't think I'd be a good mathematician or physicist.

In reality, I wish I could find a job where I'm given a problem, and I have to solve it. I'm starting to think Aeronautical Engineering may be the best way to go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Hi Andrew, when I saw your username in the BESS thread, I knew it could only be one person! And that's despite the fact that there are probably about twenty Andrews currently studying BESS...

Actually, are there many others from the GMB who post on boards? I've seen Clíodhna post around here once or twice.

That and the link to my facebook in my sig of course :D

Yeah Cliodhna's around, Anna H is Zam, and Howard's got an account but has only posted 3 times. That's about it AFAIK.

andrew wrote: »
    That and the link to my facebook in my sig of course :D

Yeah Cliodhna's around, Anna H is Zam, and Howard's got an account but has only posted 3 times. That's about it AFAIK.

I don't have an account on that-dreaded-social-networking-website-that-shall-not-be-named, so the link didn't give it away.

Anna's username is Zam? I would never have guessed. Well, that explains why she has appeared in the most recent visitors to my profile.
    If I see you on Friday before/after Algebra I'll make sure and say hello!

I tend to do things in a completely opposite fashion, which generally isn't the best idea in a pure mathematics module.
    For example, I'm someone who doesn't care why some mathematical statement is true, all I care about is that it is true and that I can apply it in some area of physics, preferably to mechanics. I don't care about experiments either, or why the physics is true, so I don't think I'd be a good mathematician or physicist.

In reality, I wish I could find a job where I'm given a problem, and I have to solve it. I'm starting to think Aeronautical Engineering may be the best way to go.

Engineering sounds like it would suit you, their course tends to be less derivation and theory-heavy and more weighted to what you can actually do with what you've learned - in other words, a practical approach.

For the record, everybody hates labs - especially us in Theoretical Physics. The labs are fairly much where we go once a week to bash our heads against a wall incessantly for three hours straight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Engineering sounds like it would suit you, their course tends to be less derivation and theory-heavy and more weighted to what you can actually do with what you've learned - in other words, a practical approach.

If only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement