Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

your from northern ireland? what part? my Nana was from Belfast.

Perphaps Dr. Paisley acts differently for the benefit of the cameras

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

newry, in co armagh, for all my sins... and there was no camaras, just a school trip

i know i mean on tv he always comes across as a very angry person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Saw the show too, do ye know he got his "Dr." bit from the same college that the Reverend Jim Jones of "Cool-aid" fame got his. In fact Iain Mór Paislig, now an unlikely, but not really when all things considered, defender of Gaeilge Uladh, once considered moving his congregation away to a compound in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

my moan today is about bloody natives!

yea sure, you think you are high and mighty when your in your own country and can understand everything, the language, sign, the way it all works, and then you get stuck in a different small country!!! im goin insane with the boredom, and i may, just may commit an act of murder soon....................

• Advertisement

so does Ian Paisley actually have a PHd then? i wonder what he studied..

and what 's the official name of the church he set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Oh my God does Ian Paisley's voice scare the nuts of me! :eek:

I remember watching a party political broadcast by the DUP a month or two ago and there was this bit where he was talking to this bunch of kids and you should have seen the frightened look on their faces! That definitely has to be the funniest things I've seen on TV all year! :)

Paisley's church I think is a free Presbyterian church. Not sure of the exact name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

snorlax wrote:
    so does Ian Paisley actually have a PHd then? i wonder what he studied..

and what 's the official name of the church he set up?
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Atrium/1678/ian.html

... is the founder and only head of the Free Presbyterian Church, which has a fundamentalist Christian perspective on most issues. It has 49 Churches in British Occupied Ireland and 10 abroad. While no priest has ever been elected to government office in the 26 Counties, even though Paisley claims the Republic is controlled by the Roman Catholic Church, Protestant ministers, including Mr. Paisley, have always been prominent in the electoral politics of the North, "a Protestant State for a Protestant People." Ian Paisley is the head of the Democratic Unionist Party.
    He received an honorary degree from Bob Jones University of South Carolina in 1966 and is a regular preacher there. To this day, his actual ordination is the subject of controversy. It was never valid under Presbyterian rules. He obtained a B.A. in Divinity from Pioneer Theological Seminary in Rockville, Ill. in 1954 and an honorary doctorate 7 months later. He received a Masters Degree from Burton College and Seminary in Manitou Springs, Colorado. Both are bogus, disreputable correspondence schools described as "degree mills" by the US Dept. of Education.

In 1956, Rev. Paisley abducted a 16 year old girl, Maura Lyons, who was in a dispute with her parents about joining the Free Presbyterian Church. He attempted to use her as an anti-Catholic propaganda stunt and would not inform police where she was. Paisley was later ordered in court never to go near the girl or her family again.

In 1959, the Presbyterian Moderator of Ireland was on tour of churches and visited a Catholic priest, the Rev. J. Wilson, whom he had befriended. Rev. Paisley described this act of human friendship as an act of "blasphemy".

In April, 1958, Rev. Paisley sponsored Juan Arrien, a Spanish ex-priest, who performed exaggerated "mock masses" as part of an anti-Catholic road show. When Fr. Murphy of Ballymurphy protested that a public facility was to be used for this sectarian, anti-Catholic show, Rev. Paisley responded in his magazine, Revivalist, "We know your church to be the mother of harlots and the abomination of the earth."

On June 17, 1959, at a Belfast rally, he publicly chastised "the men of the Shankill for allowing papists, pope's men, and papishers" to live on the Shankill Rd. Angry crowds went to the addresses called out by Paisley, burned out the occupants and looted their homes.

As religious ecumenism was progressing between Churches and Religions during the 1960s, a Catholic priest actually preached in Westminster Abbey and Protestant ministers were welcomed in Catholic churches, Mr. Paisley was -- and still is -- wild with recrimination and bigotry at any intra-religious experience or sharing of ideas.

In keeping with the above attitude, he called Pope John XXIII a "Roman anti-Christ" and his Church the "Harlot of Babylon". On June 3, when the Pope died, Paisley roared, "This romish man of sin is now in hell."

In May of 1968, during the height of the Civil Rights movement in the North, Paisley addressed a mob of 500 loyalists and burned a photograph of Prime Minister O'Neil who was shown to be visiting a Catholic convent the week before.

After inciting loyalists to burn Catholic families out of their homes, the Rev. Paisley explained the problem to the press: His exact words were "Catholic homes caught fire because they were loaded with petrol bombs; Catholic churches were attacked and burned because they were arsenals and priests handed out sub-machine guns to parishioners; and the massive discrimination in employment and shortage of houses for Catholics were simply because they breed like "rabbits" and multiply like "vermin".

William Beattie, a loyal lieutenant of Rev. Paisley, addressed a DUP Youth Group after the Anglo-Irish Accord was signed by the Dublin and London governments in 1986: "We must hire assassins to kill Catholics and pay them when the job is done."

Fair play, Iain Mór Paislig, a man with a mission (which I would condemn totally, but you have to laugh at the man).

• Advertisement

I hate burnt currants/raisins on danishes. It just ruins the danish goodness.

my moan of the day- so little critter keeps bitting me.

it's not funny last night i woke up with three bites..:( ( i could turn into a vampire at this rate!)

anyone know of an insect repellent cos they keep picking on me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

snorlax wrote:

it's not funny last night i woke up with three bites..:( ( i could turn into a vampire at this rate!)

I thought a snorlax can sleep through anything? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

snorlax wrote:

maybe you're just tasty? :P

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm annoyed because i just spent 75 euro on travel insurance...

crash_000 wrote:
    maybe you're just tasty? :P

maybe i should just turn vegetarian:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Put a ****load of tea-tree oil into the rinse when you wash your sheets, that should keep away any insects..or you could try neem oil, which has the benefit of smelling like coffee!

does actually drinking coffee work? i have tea tree oil actually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Ehm, if drinking coffee worked, wouldn't there be an insect-free zone for miles around you!?

i know but i like coffee! hey they couldbe attracted to my perfume!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Or they could just be attracted to biting you. Some insects have a habit of doing it to you know, survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

the world's stupidest fly keeps crashing into my head. if i wasn't, you know, a member of peta,* i'd totally open the proverbial can of whup-ass.

*not true

John2 wrote:
    Or they could just be attracted to biting you. Some insects have a habit of doing it to you know, survive.
    They're called Nazi's. thats right. you heard me.

haha, nazis, i doubt it, maybe what ye city dwellers have are the hitler youth. Us good aul country types have to deal with the real nazis, but down here they be known as horse flies, and they can bite through t-shirts, and its sore and itchy for days. the only good thing about them is that they are real slow. its a bit sadistic, but i love nothin more than killin the winged hell demons.

the dirty bastards

Anyone else notice a rise in mosquitos in Ireland recently?

well it's been really humid lately..

well no cos im not there, but i tell ya, the continent has loads, i woke up 3 times the other night to the horrible whine of a mosquito, im so glad the curtains were drawn otherwise the neighbours would have seen a half-naked guy on a ramppage tryin to get them

I was in a field in Kildare a few times over the last couple of weeks (environmental work, not a rave) and there was millions of the beggers.

John2 wrote:
    I was in a field in Kildare a few times over the last couple of weeks (environmental work, not a rave) and there was millions of the beggers.

yea enviromental work, thats what i also tell the gardai when they find me wnadering about in the country with a head full of acid, enviromental work....yea...

yea kildare (my home county, wooohoooo, im from nnnaaaassssssss and ill break your ffaaaaaace!) is full of them, i rekon we organise a mass cul, it could be fun, forget the TCD beer bash thingy, why dont ya'll come on down and bring flame throwers, that should do the trick

• Advertisement

actually, i remember when we lived in germany, one night my mom left the kitchen door open and the light on. came down later and the ceiling was covered in mosquito's. she had to get the hoover to get rid of em.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement