Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

The cold,and yes i know that makes me and arts/bess stereotype but i have gloves on as i'm typing becuase my fingers are so cold,and strangely my fingers get colder the more i type. i havnt been able to feel them properly since tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

The cold,and yes i know that makes me and arts/bess stereotype but i have gloves on as i'm typing becuase my fingers are so cold,and strangely my fingers get colder the more i type. i havnt been able to feel them properly since tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:(
    I know this is probably snorlax's domain (OT), but when type do you have your wrists at a funny angle? Or do you wrists on the edge of the table? You could be constricting the circulation getting to your fingers I think, as that should certainly not happen. I'm not health-sci but I know that muscle movement usually helps with blood flow, not least that the respiration in your muscles creates heat also. So your fingers should be getting warmer, I know mine do..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Argh this is ridiculous I'm so restless and cranky today. I'm trying to get my dissertation sorted out and it's wrecking my head. GROARGHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

your wrist generally falls back into extension when you type. if you damaged your radial nerve (one of the nerves coming from the brachial pexus) you would get wrist drop and would find most ADLs (activities of daily living) and IADL's (instrumental activities of daily living) difficult without your wrist extensors working, anything from brushing your teeth to holding your mug. in radial nerve damage your flexors (tendons on the opposite side,to see them flex your fingers down towards your wrist and they will become more prominent especially if you resist the flexion) are likely to contract to a certain amount as the tendons on the opposite side are no longer opposing them.

typical interventions depending on the injuiry include surgery to repair the nerve, if it's a cva or hemiplegia, an upper motor neuron deficit (eg weakness one side of the body) i would use meaningful activites to increase dexterity and increase the nerve function (eg anything from gardening to art, to squeezing a ball) and muscle strength grading the activity as to what the person can actually do and set goals around improvement as the LMN (nerve itself is still intact and most likely other nerves are effected as the damage occurs up near the motor cortex in the frontal hempispheres of the brain.

another technique may include a compensatory approach, eg assistive technology or some kind of brace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Thank **** I'm in fourth year so I don't have to put up with the metalflake pink/purple effort that'll no doubt grace the **** things next year. bastards.

Don't forget the glitter...
    The cold,and yes i know that makes me and arts/bess stereotype but i have gloves on as i'm typing becuase my fingers are so cold,and strangely my fingers get colder the more i type. i havnt been able to feel them properly since tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raynaud's disease
    That ring any bells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Pet wrote:

Raynaud's disease
    That ring any bells?

mmh just a few but i didn't say i didn't know what was wrong, just the reduced feeling/increased cold when i type is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

snorlax wrote:
    your wrist generally falls back into extension when you type. if you damaged your radial nerve (one of the nerves coming from the brachial pexus) you would get wrist drop and would find most ADLs (activities of daily living) and IADL's (instrumental activities of daily living) difficult without your wrist extensors working, anything from brushing your teeth to holding your mug. in radial nerve damage your flexors (tendons on the opposite side,to see them flex your fingers down towards your wrist and they will become more prominent especially if you resist the flexion) are likely to contract to a certain amount as the tendons on the opposite side are no longer opposing them.

typical interventions depending on the injuiry include surgery to repair the nerve, if it's a cva or hemiplegia, an upper motor neuron deficit (eg weakness one side of the body) i would use meaningful activites to increase dexterity and increase the nerve function (eg anything from gardening to art, to squeezing a ball) and muscle strength grading the activity as to what the person can actually do and set goals around improvement as the LMN (nerve itself is still intact and most likely other nerves are effected as the damage occurs up near the motor cortex in the frontal hempispheres of the brain.

another technique may include a compensatory approach, eg assistive technology or some kind of brace.

:eek: Wow. Very impressive Snorlax!! Maith an cailín.

go raibh mile a mhaith agat, ta pian beag i mo cheann anois mar bhi mo chairde anseo inne agus bhiomar ag ol agus rudai mar sinn! scriobh me cupla postna amaideach tar eis se a chlog (nil aon fada ar mo romhaicht).

on another rant am getting a library fine cos the online system of online renewing said my user record dosn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

snorlax wrote:

on another rant am getting a library fine cos the online system of online renewing said my user record dosn't exist.

did you type in the full barcode from your card, or your student number? the barcode number is the student number plus two digits. that keeps catching me out.

rant - the cold. oh, the cold. :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

rant: i'm back in work in 14 hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

i second cuckoo's cold rant. its fooking freezing out there. not even a nice trinity scarf can save us.

yeah i stuck the 03 after the number, it's still not working though. thanks anyway.

speaking of which i'v two weeks to come up with a topic for my thesis, what am i going to do research on? does anyone want to be my subject?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Damn everyone coming out of college/ co-op while I'm on my way in and talking to me and making me stand in the cold an extra few minutes to talk to them and making my subway roll cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Dead Ed wrote:
    looks like I can get away with the word ****! Mighty!

I'm going to be **** using that all the time now!

In other news my gran is really ill. Does not look good at all :(

John2 wrote:
    In other news my gran is really ill. Does not look good at all :(
    Sorry man

Don't be sorry, you didn't design the human heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Eircom's website told me last night, after months of trying, that I was eligible for broadband!

And it **** well says that my line's a fail again. ****.

John2 wrote:
    Don't be sorry, you didn't design the human heart.
    I didn't, but I know how you're feeling.

Thanks man, I'm really hoping all turns out for the best

missing my mom and dad who are in Botswana at the mo....

• Advertisement

snorlax wrote:
    missing my mom and dad who are in Botswana at the mo....
    Botswana of all places!? Why? Not that I can talk... My parents met in Sierra Leone. Luckily they haven't decided to go back yet, what with the genocide and all.

it costs thosand euros return to get down there so my student budget would never allow me to venture there. my dad works down there and has being doing so for a good few months.

What does he do that brings hime to a different hemisphere?

You gotta love it when some ignorant **** decides to take your clean clothes out of the machine (so they can use it, not 5 minutes after it finishes) and dump them on the floor. I was tempted to piss into the machine out of sheer nastiness..

Yay for public laundrettes and the ensuing drama..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Pet wrote:
    You gotta love it when some ignorant **** decides to take your clean clothes out of the machine (so they can use it, not 5 minutes after it finishes) and dump them on the floor. I was tempted to piss into the machine out of sheer nastiness..

Yay for public laundrettes and the ensuing drama..

Nasty. You should have left An Angry Note. Are there not baskets in the laundry? In the campus one there were baskets, so if all the machines were full you could take ppls clothes out and leave them on top in the clean basket.

No baskets except for the ones belonging to other people.

Meh, it's not the end of the world. I'm just very tired and very cranky and so small things like this get blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

piss in it next time dude, ****'n deserve it after that...

rant: i'm back in work in 14 hours!

What he said.

Pet wrote:
    You gotta love it when some ignorant **** decides to take your clean clothes out of the machine (so they can use it, not 5 minutes after it finishes) and dump them on the floor.
    Man I would completely lose the rag. Seriously, my brother did that to me once and I held him by the throat against a wall. I go ballistic if people stand on my clothes in my room if they're on the floor too.. Just one of those things I need to warn people about cos may very well knock one of their teeth out otherwise.

• Advertisement

my dad's an engineer, and my mom just called:)! she nearly got eaten by a crocodile :(! she 's also complaining about the heat down there, 17 degrees! it's freezing in ireland at the moment, i hate this cold weather it really dries your skin out.

looks like someone took some funny photos of me at november's beers, Ian did you get photographed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement