Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't get it

*John2 feels thick*

Does Enda make scarves for Dunnes?

Bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭claireoby

I am like in love with this friend,a guy i've only met in my class this year, ok probably just a major crush...and everyday I talk to him, I nearly say something to him but I always, always chicken out. Well anyway my rant is that after my last lecture tomorrow I wont see him for a month, until after christmas and I'm all sad. Also never watch Sleepless in Seattle for the first time when feeling this way....its made me like 10 times worse!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

EduMyth wrote:
    Must...resist...obvious...joke...

Shut up you.

By the way I love the pencil case and scarf.

They might even make a show at the next TCD boards beers....

• Advertisement

Damn, you found my very public website of old...

Of new. You post official SU stuff on it :).

But doesn't debase the gorgeous pic handsome.

Of old, I wrote the website html back in 2003. And I'm using the webspace to host the SU stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yep, there is/was bad/funny pictures of alot of us on there back in the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

claireoby wrote:
    I am like in love with this friend,a guy i've only met in my class this year, ok probably just a major crush...and everyday I talk to him, I nearly say something to him but I always, always chicken out. Well anyway my rant is that after my last lecture tomorrow I wont see him for a month, until after christmas and I'm all sad. Also never watch Sleepless in Seattle for the first time when feeling this way....its made me like 10 times worse!!!:(

why don't you ask him out in a casual way? or ask him to help you out with some lecture material/ assignment your "confused about".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭claireoby

snorlax wrote:
    why don't you ask him out in a casual way? or ask him to help you out with some lecture material/ assignment your "confused about".

I'm too chicken!!
    My flatmates have just screamed at me because I didnt ask him out today. Over crimbo now I'll figure out someway of plucking up the courage. We get on so great, I figure if I say "we should meet up for a drink later" and he doesnt like me more than just friends, it'll be all awkward. Anyway I flirt my ass off round him...he should get the hint I like him!! Asking him to help with course work might work...Very sad saying goodbye today though...:(

no he won't, a the least he will like the complement of being asked out and will likely make up some kind of silly excuse. coffee is slightly more casual then going for a drink anyhow, or just go with him for lunch!

or just try smiling and a lot of eye contact, or a gentle pat on the shoulder or something simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

This turning into a PI thread? ;)
    Ah tis all good.

Good advice snor, cept for
    snorlax wrote:
    or a gentle pat on the shoulder or something simple.
    A pat on the shoulder...? I'd say there are more natural, feminine ways of making physical contact. I may just be speaking for myself here but if a girl patted me on the shoulder I'd feel she was being more maternal or encouraging than flirtatious.

If you're chatting with him and your making a point put your hand on his. It's a very natural thing for a woman to do. Or if he says something funny, grab his arm as if you're telling him to stop but not really meaning it. Do it a couple times if you're not used to it. After a while leaving your hand there slightly longer than normal adds that touch of sexual tension.

If you're out having a few drinks and a laugh with him there's an easy way to find out if he likes you. Wait till he's going up to the bar and asks if you're ok for a drink (this day and age you should be going up alternately, paying your way. A girl who's easy on the wallet is tends to be more attractive). Then ask him playfully something like: "Why monsieur! Are you trying to get me drunk?". This leaves him very open to express his feelings in a playful manner sans embarass, nomatter what they are. I'd pay more attention to the facial expressions than what he says.

but if he didnt like you would grabbing his hand not be abit forward? iv always been too shy to do do anything more then pat the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

ApeXaviour wrote:
    This turning into a PI thread? ;)
    Ah tis all good.

Good advice snor, cept for
    A pat on the shoulder...? I'd say there are more natural, feminine ways of making physical contact. I may just be speaking for myself here but if a girl patted me on the shoulder I'd feel she was being more maternal or encouraging than flirtatious.
    mother of sweet jesus what the hell was that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Declan our resident Agony Declan:
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~cockburd/photos/thurs05/DSCF0141.JPG

Here is our Friend of the people always on call for his fellow man:
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~cockburd/photos/lastdayofexams05/DSCF0077.JPG
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    "Why monsieur! Are you trying to get me drunk?".

????????????????????????? WTF
    Male-Brain wrote:
    Nice one i have a drunk one on my hands here
    Male-Brain wrote:
    actually ...SOUND .....on to a "winner" here

No wait I´ve got what that was from knew I recoginsied that was from somewhere , Junior Cert 02 Ordinary Level Irish , Mahogony Gaspipe if im not mistaken!

Now how do i fix that??????

Post is too good to delete them!!!!

MODERATORS FIX THIS MESS NOW, by orders of el papa

Edit: It really was a mess. Done now anyhow. I'm no agony aunt dude. I just watch people interacting a bit more than most. It's the only thing I'm observational about. Ask me what they were wearing, eye-colour, what they said and I'm lost. -ApeXaviour

snorlax wrote:
    but if he didnt like you would grabbing his hand not be abit forward?
    No..? Well if you just lurched out and grab it posessively then maybe.

It happens me all the time and I'm fairly certain the girls that do it are just friendly/comfortable with me. Most of them are good friends like. If they left their hand there a little longer than the situation deemed appropriate i'd begin to wonder though.

I suppose I should clarify, setting and it looking natural are important. For instance sitting there in the ham caf across from a friend of mine having lunch recently. We were just chatting then she goes "Oh! Oh! I have to tell you about the strangest dream I had last night.. It was so weird.." etc. And during the oh-oh-ing she put her hand on mine. It was friendly and signified importance of what she was about to say. It was there for a few secs before she withdrew it to use as an aid to describe whatever was in her dream. If she had stopped talking but left the hand there I would have been thinking "em.. what's going on here". Otherwise it was fine though and I ya don't tend to hardly notice.

Initiating touch is something women (and feminine men) can do while just being friendly in most circumstances.

Snor, if you're patting the back of a potential love interest... I dunno. When would you do it? I can't really see it being used other than "hard luck champ".
    And if it was used on me otherwise I reckon I'd almost conclude someone was disinterested in me. "You're too icky to touch anywhere other in this extremely neutral place, with hardly any nerve-endings, through layers of clothes".

You could try being more affectionate with your male friends. Use them as platonic practice so it becomes second nature and you won't get shy doing it around someone that you fancy..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ApeXaviour wrote:
    "Why monsieur! Are you trying to get me drunk?"

oh Declan you old Cad you! *lays hand on hand*

well it's worked before for me before and i recieved a pat back:) and a smile, it was in a sports club so not really the place to go grabbing hands, alot of girls are sometimes reluctant to make the first move out of a bar context !:)

but then everything changes once you've had a drink or two..!

snorlax wrote:
    well it's worked before for me before and i recieved a pat back:) and a smile,
    :D I can't imagine it without laughing, I'm sorry. How could you do that in anyway flirtatious manner? I mean it'd be like two people patting each other on the head! You must have rubbed his back at least a little?
    snorlax wrote:
    it was in a sports club so not really the place to go grabbing hands, alot of girls are sometimes reluctant to make the first move out of a bar context !:)
    Who isn't in fairness. The hands are relatively safe areas. Unless you're holding hands it's not usually considered a move as such. Yeah if you're standing up usually it's only the arm you should touch. In a crowded place and you get bustled forward, use it as support. As I said if he says somethin funny or even if he says somethin that has shock factor (a tasteless joke), look sheepishly appalled, bite lip and hand on arm. It's not even that flirtatious, it's just normal.
    snorlax wrote:
    but then everything changes once you've had a drink or two..!
    Indeed it does. Part of the reason I reckon we irish drink so much. We're complete social retards when it comes to this stuff. There would be very few relationships without alcohol..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

We're complete social retards when it comes to this stuff.

100% agreement, and I couldn't put it any better either.

Three important factors in effective female-male flirting: touch, physical closeness and eye contact. Otherwise he just might not get the message.

Pet wrote:
    Three important factors in effective female-male flirting: touch, physical closeness and eye contact. Otherwise he just might not get the message.
    What do blondes put behind their ears to attract male attention?

Their legs.

Get pissed and go "wanna score me?"

Yes he will or no he wont u will know where u stand and that will be that!

Here look he knows u want a bit if him, so just do and quit moping over it! Youll know with 5-10 min after that.

As for these two Mary Popins wanna bees, this aint 50s catholic ireland were living in, slap it out on the table and its will be grand

If it dont work , remember ignorance is bliss it get you through any difficult sitiaution , when u scored that one from work , just deny everything to urelf and it will teater out.

Pat him on the back , Penguin School Book on "social skills"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

air_vent wrote:
    Get pissed and go "wanna score me?"
    Not every guy would go for that, sometimes girls can be a bit too forward, even if you like them.

Twas scaracism

But does work seen it happen an many occasion !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm 20 tomorrow. :(

Pet wrote:
    I'm 20 tomorrow. :(

Wrong thread dude.. You should post it in the woo hoo antimoan thread

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Wrong thread dude.. You should post it in the woo hoo antimoan thread
    No, perfect place for it to be honest. I hate this age so much.

Pet, drinks??:)

some good tips they're Dec :)

on another rant they're was a massive stink of rotten eggs and popcorn all over the first floor of the arts block today, i just went out to get my lunch and poow, a thosand blow-offs at once.............:( yuck...we should campaign for better ventilation there...:(

wait whose going for drinks tonight? i may venture down if people are around

• Advertisement

snorlax wrote:
    wait whose going for drinks tonight? i may venture down if people are around
    Dunno about tonight, I'm gonna go to the Pav for an hour or so, then onto a party. We'll have a proper beers sometime next week anyway. What ever happened to that plan anyway?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement