Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

mcguirkj wrote:
    Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. I personally haven't seen "the post", and don't frankly give a **** what was in it. I mean, newsflash, hold the presses, "CANDIDATE HAS PAST".
    Why then the response that followed, John?
    I have heard, however, that its contents alleged that my campaign manager, a man who has committed no wrongdoing, and has not put himself before the electorate, is a racist.
    John, have you seen the post or not? I made absolutely no assertion that he is a racist. I quoted him, at a TYFG meeting on racism last year, stating that he thinks "racism is human nature". That does not assert that he is a racist. I do have grievances with his views on race, (including a pointedly derogatory comment stating "How Irish" in regard to a joke I made) but I did not make any such assertion. The reason for this is quite simple: I do not believe he is a racist.
    That, if it is the case, isn't just untrue, libellous and actionable, it's also the action of a coward, and a creep, who has never once, though given plenty of opportunity, raised any of the issues I gather he raised in the post with me. It's not as if I don't see him every day.
    I may not have raised the man's views with you, indeed I see no reason to do as much, but I constantly debate with him - in both public and in private fora - about his views. I also quite willingly have a drink with him, as I would with you. I would not drink with somebody I thought was a racist - I'll happily drink with someone of differing political viewpoints.

Such insinuations that I am acting cowardly by stating my views in a public manner are ludicrous; although I post under a pseudonym it is well known who I am. I will be willing to take the points up with you whenever you want.

The reason I did not raise them with you directly is that I would see that as contemptuous. I know far too well the impotence of arguing for the sake of it; particularly when the opposing views are irreconcilable. We would debate, we would disagree, we would probably insult each other and we would gain the exact sum of nothing. I know your views, and I expect you have a good idea of mine. Neither are views of ignorance, but rather of informed, well-cemented belief and as such will probably never converge. If you wish to debate it that is fine, but out of regard for your pressed time I did not raise them with you any further than when I did this last year.
    As regards what was said about me, it is, frankly, beneath contempt. From what I've heard is also libellous and actionable, although the liklihood of my wasting time suing a jumped-up pseudo-ethical little toad like the poster of thos comments is low. That said, I withhold any further comment until I actually see what was written.
    Beneath contempt when you have not even read the offending article? John, I do not agree with your politics, but I always assumed you had reasonable levels of respect and dignity. Calling me a jumped-up psuedo-ethical toad is about as lowly as you can go. If you want to get into name-calling you can go about it yourself. My post, had you read it, is not libellous. It is not defamation. It is primarily about your political affiliation and your views that I do not believe are:
    1. representative of the student body
    2. represented by your manifesto

The post also goes into issues of your past, both of which were common knowledge due to the article on the front page of the most recent edition of the Trinity News. I'm sure you'd agree with me that one's personal history should be completely disregarded (if not necessarily forgiven) in the evaluation of their character. If you want me to substantiate the claims I will.
    I am sure, however, that Enda will gladly explain to me his comments the next time I happen to bump in to him.
    I will explain anything you want, John.
    And I'm also sure that his opinions will have absolutely none of the effects that he desires that they will.
    What effects are these?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ok, so we should probably call quits on election stuff in here - on the other hand, this is the EXACT reason that i was libellous towards all candidates at once, rather than just one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mcguirkj

Calling me a jumped-up psuedo-ethical toad is about as lowly as you can go.

Pseudo Ethical implies, as is the case, that you take anything that contradicts your own view of the world to be immoral, this is true, I know it from many conversations with you. Toad implies that your methods are slimy, which they are, as shown by your admission that you've never raised any of these issues with me yet have the temerity to say you "know me personally", as if half the other people here do not. Jumped up implies that you place a lot of weight on the importance of your opinion, which it simply doesn't deserve.

I could add to that list of adjectives, but I will not. I think your comments about both me, and many of my good friends, are utterly reprehensible. You, like every other student, have the opportunity to ask me questions at hustings in front of the student body, - raise these issues ther if you want, and stop doing it in such a slimy, malicious, and disgustingly amoral way.

That is my final word on the matter, Crash is right, this is no place to discuss elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Edit: Hmm, I agree. No more talk of elections.

mcguirkj wrote:
    PCrash is right, this is no place to discuss elections.

To the SU website!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

mcguirkj wrote:
    as if half the other people here do not.
    Well i dunno i'm in the lot that don't know you, i've no clue who you are.
    and stop doing it in such a slimy, malicious, and disgustingly amoral way.
    Not to support enda, but you haven't read his post, so until you do its not really fair to comment on it. He went out of his way in the post to avoid insulting you, something you clearly have not done in your posts here. And for the record there is nothing wrong with having the discussion here per say. The post deleted and thread locked is due to a poster raising an issue of libelousness, legalese people can't see any in his post but we have passed on any decision to the admins.
    That is my final word on the matter, Crash is right, this is no place to discuss elections.
    Crash is referring to discussing it in this thread vs the SU election one, which is temp locked.
    eduMyth wrote:
    To the SU website!
    People still look at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bbrazil

People still look at that?

161 unique IPs in the last 8 hours, so apparently thats a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Toad implies that your methods are slimy,

Toads aren't slimy. Just for the record.
    Edit: Hmm, I agree. No more talk of elections.

Word. I'm quite interested in the issues being raised here, and the elections in general, but this isn't the time or the place and if the election crap is spilling out of its own thread and into the rest of the boards, it's just going to end in a whole lot of hassle and bannings and locked threads, and no one wants that.
    this is the EXACT reason that i was libellous towards all candidates at once, rather than just one

Slow clap, Crash. Slow clap. :)

I'm voting Bob Dole all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

ok a non-su post, as i have no desire to become involved in the general hackery.. more so than i already am.

anyway i have a sony mp3 player. one of the purple ones they advertise in cineworld before the film. i bought it partly becuase it was purple, i love purple i really do, and partly becuase i had an iriver which through various kinds of abuse was freezing every half hour or so.

well i had heard all the bad things about the soft ware, and admitidly it was rushed. the connect ware is very tempermental, but i have a VAIO so i thought it was more a calculated risk than absolute stupidity, and yeah the computer crashed a half dozen or so times before i got any music on the thing but everything went ok in the end.

being slightly aprehensive after my first altercation with the connect ware i decided to wait till i had a decent number of songs to add. so i waited a month or 2 and got to today.

there was some kind of up grade and i did all the neccessary restarting and agreeing and yada. and then the conect ware disappeared, well all bar the icon.

worse still windows media player deleted all the music i had on the player in the first place. currently doing a compelet re-sync from windows, and hoping for a miracle.

• Advertisement

anyway i have a sony mp3 player. one of the purple ones they advertise in cineworld before the film. i bought it partly becuase it was purple, i love purple i really do,
    Sweet, purple ftw :)
    well i had heard all the bad things about the soft ware, and admitidly it was rushed. the connect ware is very tempermental, but i have a VAIO so i thought it was more a calculated risk than absolute stupidity, and yeah the computer crashed a half dozen or so times before i got any music on the thing but everything went ok in the end.
    Alas normal for sony software in my experence :/
    there was some kind of up grade and i did all the neccessary restarting and agreeing and yada. and then the conect ware disappeared, well all bar the icon.

worse still windows media player deleted all the music i had on the player in the first place. currently doing a compelet re-sync from windows, and hoping for a miracle.
    That would probally be the upgrade to the ms plays for sure firmware, it requires a different file system, been avoiding it with my zen sleek for a while, thankfully creative are doing dual firmware upgrades, with and without it :). And on the bright side with that in and since ur using media player by right you shouldn't have too many problems more...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

mcguirkj wrote:
    excellent journalist that he is. [/sarcasm]

enda kept it impersonal and to the point, as should you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

enda kept it impersonal and to the point, as should you.
    Hear, hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

:). And on the bright side with that in and since ur using media player by right you shouldn't have too many problems more...

if only that were true.. i think im just going to reload all the software when i get home and drink lots of tea to calm my nerves as the computer screen goes blank again and again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

if only that were true.. i think im just going to reload all the software when i get home and drink lots of tea to calm my nerves as the computer screen goes blank again and again and again
    Dammit Hillary, now I want some tea.

yeah - stupid Hillary.

rant bitch moan - still nothing back from my mother as to whether dublin bus lost property have my phone - i really dont want to have to rebuild my phonebook. :(

just find some computer nerd to fix it, less stressfull... (Seems to be what most of my m8's do.... :( )
    *points at neil*

O and rant already hadda goto the doc today, ffs, stupid headphones....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

crash_000 wrote:
    i really dont want to have to rebuild my phonebook. :(
    That would be nasty and time-consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

O and rant already hadda goto the doc today, ffs, stupid headphones....

When i first read that sentence i thought there was a link between the headphones and the doctor's visit. Reading it again, i still think so...did the headphones get stuck in your ear or something?

Rant: does anyone else find they get loads more wax in their ears when they listen to headphones lots? i hab a heab colb as it is, and now i can barely hear anything. today was bed, lots of vitamin C and a rainforest of tissues. roll on the end of term - i need the break...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

No, but according to the doctor in college I have lots of mucus in my eustachian tube.

Delightful, eh?
    anyway i have a sony mp3 player

A BESS student that has a NON-ipod mp3 player!? :eek:

• Advertisement

cuckoo wrote:
    When i first read that sentence i thought there was a link between the headphones and the doctor's visit. Reading it again, i still think so...did the headphones get stuck in your ear or something?
    Yep, shure noise cancelling earphones, when they get stuck, they really get stuck :( , and it started moving further into my ear by itself...
    Rant: does anyone else find they get loads more wax in their ears when they listen to headphones lots?
    only if i use the inner-ear phones, the outer ones don't seem to cause it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i hate the library, im just back from a weekend of merriment from the fencing interversaties where i made my debut as a sabrer :)! got initiated and everything....so much fun..cocktail reception and dinner and tcd/ ducac paying for our accomodation and buses...i even discovered starbucks in Belfast!...shoot though wiht some many nice things going on it's almost impossible to study/ concentrate/ do anything productive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Cocktails and sabres... an explosive mix :eek:!

yup women we're banned from using sabre for much of the last century because they thought it was unladylike to show off an armpit...my times have changed ;)!

You show your armpits??? Eeeew! Are you allowed to show your private parts too (by private parts I mean your ankle ;) )

It used to be defamatory to allege that a woman was sitting at a bar drinking Guiness....since ladies don't do that ;) (instead it's tequila shots and face flat on the floor... whatever would the priest say?!? :eek: )

well we have to wear all over protective gear and then electric lamee's on top of that (so you wouldn't really see anything! but you get my drift ;)!).

Guinness will no longer be the sole premise of men, in Belfast a glass of guinness was £1.50 and vodka and coka was £3.95sterling so about 6eur!

howver there was also places apart from that very expensive hotel which served all sorts of larger/ pints for £1.50. food was frightfully dear up there actually...
    ankles are supposed to be covered by white socks and your suppossed to wear white shoes too (although me being the exception i have violently pink ones , speaking of which one girl there had purple sparkly ones with sequens..shoes are important as there the only way people will recognise you with the gear on:)!)

"Violently pink" what a phrase! I have brown shoes... thought I was being quite adventurous with those :)

Aren't shoes important in general (especially for the ladies ;) ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

A BESS student that has a NON-ipod mp3 player!?

Would I be kicked out if I said that up until a month or so ago I was still using a discman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

shay_562 wrote:
    Would I be kicked out if I said that up until a month or so ago I was still using a discman?
    I still use my walkman from time to time.. No discman, no mp3 player, no tv in my room. Just the wireless (as in radio) mostly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement