Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

This day has just beaten all known records for sucking cocks in hell.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Passport office administration pinball, beboers on much-needed computers, Bus Eireann overcharging me twice, and then not showing up for the bloody return journey, doctors patronising me and telling me things I know, not to mention the fact I haven't slept since Tuesday night.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Pet wrote:
    This day has just beaten all known records for sucking cocks in hell.
    And thank you, I think I've found another entry to Hobbes' thread in AH "Requesting Quotes"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

In the grand scheme of things my moan of the day is minor, but to me annoying.

I have 4 tv channels. Rarely is there anything worth watching on. But Thursday evenings are a pearl amid the swine; west wing on RTE1 and spooks on RTE2. I like the gadgetry and yummy spies on spooks, and the west wing has alan alda in it these days.

And, the tv scheduling gods were on my side, the West Wing used to finish up circa (and v circa at that, that program bounces around the schedules like a hyperactive kid on skittles) 15 minutes before spooks began.

Tonight the West Wing finishes up at midnight, spooks starts at 23.35. And, no, i don't have a VCR. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

****s sake. i've been in the library for five hours today. six hours yesterday. five hours the day before.

thats 16 hours in total. you know how many hours are listed as editting time (i.e. actively doing anything) in openoffice for my essay? 3. 3 fecking hours. THREE.

you know how many are listed in the document where i have all the references i've been using? 6 hours.

goddamnit. i hate this essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Oh and one last thing before I shuffle off to bed:

To the guy who sits in his wheelchair on the bottom of Grafton street and "sings": Please shut the **** up. Whatever hardship is in your life, it doesn't give you the right to bum everyone out with your moaning, whinging, cats-being-crushed-in-creaky-doors voice which is only abetted by the crappy 1-watt karaoke amp which distorts your already pained, guttural yowls into something almost unearthly in its misery. If a cat made sounds like that I'd shoot it out of compassion, and I'll do the same to you if you're not careful, you miserable ****.
    I only had to listen to you for about ten minutes and I felt like grinding my teeth into fine white powder. I can only imagine how the poor staff of the healthfood shop across the way felt, having listened to you the entire day. No wonder they were almost out of Valerian and rescue remedy when I was in there.

Stop ruining everyone's day. And, if anyone was dumb enough to actually give you money for your "performance", invest it in a decent PA and some ****ing SINGING LESSONS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Done an atrocious amount of study today. It's like BAM, back to my old tired distractable ways.

Like crash in the 6 hours I've been here I'd be surprised if I did more than one solid hour's work. And I've an exam on monday! bollix.... Really better shapen up tomorrow and sunday get a lot of work in. Need ~90% in this paper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

sounds like your putting a lot of pressure on yourself to do well Dec. Don't forget to look after yourself, lotsa breaks etc :)http://www.otworks.ca/otworks_quiz.asp?pageid=771

snorlax wrote:
    sounds like your putting a lot of pressure on yourself to do well Dec. Don't forget to look after yourself, lotsa breaks etc :)http://www.otworks.ca/otworks_quiz.asp?pageid=771

Scored 11/20
    Coping but barely. It's time take a moment and balance your occupations. Although your health may not yet be affected in a major way, you may find that you are feeling more stressed and tired than usual. See below for more specifics.

Ah it's ok to be under pressure during exams right? That's the point of them.. twill all be good in june when this is done.. I shall purge the pressure by binging on sedative substances..

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

grrrrr. just worked a 12 hour shift in tallaght hospital, return home at 8pm to discover friends have already gone out on the piss. bit late now. another public celebration wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I shall purge the pressure by binging on sedative substances..
    amen to that...

o 13/20 ere :)

• Advertisement

don't forget to get and move around (and contract your calf muscles as blood tends to pool in them if your sitting for long periods of time, resulting in cramps/ lack of blood to other areas/ postural hypertension) :).

stretching is a great stimulating activity for keeping the body awake/ cold drinks/ lucozade sport is good.

well you've probably done most of the hard work anyhow :) good luck

Dave how long are you working in tallaght for? i start in 2 weeks, am completely petrified as don't know what to expect (and it's a bit more serious this time)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Your Score: 16/20
    You are living dangerously and your health and well-being will be affected soon if you do not make some changes. See below for more specifics.

Hmmm.

so basically were all ****ed then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

16 as well. Like any other internet survey it's bull****. (I reckon the scientologists are behind it. Ever read their "surveys"?). I reckon there's an element of irish society trying to persuade everyone they're on their feet all day. "24/7 lifestyle", "high performance vitamins" (only way I can see this is with a vit C carryin' nanobot on bastard nanomotorcycle, but I dunno) etc. It's all bull****, all these ***** are running to is their office jobs, whereupon they spend the remainder of the day beside a water cooler in a suit (either that or television has been lying). College does get a bit funky though in terms of stress, but we're all still alive (some moreso than others) and I doubt a few years of poxy stress will have any significant effect on overall life expectancy. Hippies (or occupational therapists looking for gullible ****ers) again...

Dead Ed wrote:
    I doubt a few years of poxy stress will have any significant effect on overall life expectancy.

Enters neuroscience mode: Stress causes an increase in production of glucocorticoids. These in turn break down neurotrophins which are the proteins that essentially wire up your neuronal circuits. A reduction in neurotrophins is believed to play a major role in major depression and now is emerging as another causative factor in neurodenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

John2 wrote:
    Enters neuroscience mode: Stress causes an increase in production of glucocorticoids. These in turn break down neurotrophins which are the proteins that essentially wire up your neuronal circuits. A reduction in neurotrophins is believed to play a major role in major depression and now is emerging as another causative factor in neurodenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
    All liberal lies! Seriously though, I reckon there's too big a deal being made of this whole thing. C'mon, will four years (more like 2 1/2 of proper stress) of stress actually affect your brain more adversly than four years of hardcore binge drinkin? Actually, anyone know how much permanent damage can the isolated trip to an alcohol induced out of body experience cause? We're talkin emergency lighting and fading of vital signs here, none of that pansy slurring crap now, that ain't a proper binge!

Your Score: 17/20
    You are living dangerously and your health and well-being will be affected soon if you do not make some changes. See below for more specifics.

Although I don't take online tests seriously, that's... eh... not good...

Dead Ed wrote:
    All liberal lies! Seriously though, I reckon there's too big a deal being made of this whole thing. C'mon, will four years (more like 2 1/2 of proper stress) of stress actually affect your brain more adversly than four years of hardcore binge drinkin? Actually, anyone know how much permanent damage can the isolated trip to an alcohol induced out of body experience cause? We're talkin emergency lighting and fading of vital signs here, none of that pansy slurring crap now, that ain't a proper binge!

Nah, no one is suggesting that 4 years of college stress = dementia. Just some evidence that suggests people should relax more over their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Your Score: 9/20
    Good! You are taking a moment to pay attention to how you balance your occupations. There are some areas that could be improved. See below for more specifics.

hmmm, i'm not celebrating just yet as my low score may be affected by my calm acceptance of the fact i will never get a first, so i'm not exactly killing myself - more plodding through it all. And, i'm not doing Schols.

It'd be interesting re-doing this test at the start of May. Roll on June. Instead of a trinners boards beer we'll be having a leisurely cup of hot milk/camomile tea before we all head home to start catching up on much needed sleep and relaxation.

• Advertisement

haha, last year it was a case of exams and then pretty much straight into job.....don't think i got the camomile tea part in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MaxBax

haha, last year it was a case of exams and then pretty much straight into job.....don't think i got the camomile tea part in....

i did the same myself i think. However the job wasn't up to much so it wasn't like i was mentally taxed. but it was a continuance of early mornings. it's good to take a holiday in the summer. I got a weekend here and there. Hopefully this year i'll get to travel and see some of the places in europe i've heard so much about. It would be nice to visit some of the places i was in before as a child, now as an adult.

I was in paris at age 16 with a group of school lads and I just found the place very boring. Lovely architecture, lovely art, lovely blah blah but the place just seemed dull and I never had a chance to get to know any french ppl with the exception of kids asking me for cigarettes.

Belgium, again, seemed rather boring, but Apexaviour seems to think it's good but the two physics/am boys seemed to hate it.

then again, what can u learn about a place in 2 days? 3 days?

In five days I learned that Austrians are some of the dullest people on earth.

Never been to Austria! or Germany! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I never quite got the reasoning behind the student compulsion to travel to places unknown for periods of time for no particular reason. Yes, wow, you are living in an incredibly dingy hostel, you don't have a clue what anybody is saying, and you get pissed every night. You're being really independant (as long as you don't run out of money)

But then again, I don't drink, and am what some people refer to as a "pipe and slippers man", so I'm probably missing something that makes it great

Perhaps Barry people are devided into people that want to stay put and people that want to wander. And for those that want to wander there really isn't a better opportunity then the big 3 month breaks you get in college.

I never quite got the reasoning behind the student compulsion to travel to places unknown for periods of time for no particular reason. Yes, wow, you are living in an incredibly dingy hostel, you don't have a clue what anybody is saying, and you get pissed every night. You're being really independant (as long as you don't run out of money)

But then again, I don't drink, and am what some people refer to as a "pipe and slippers man", so I'm probably missing something that makes it great

As Max Bax said, this is pretty much everyone's last chance to go on a big, long adventure. Only 2 weeks holiday from work will kill off that feeling. Plus everyone who travels doesn't just go to stay in an "incredibly dingy hostel" (out of all the hostels I've been to, only one would be classed as slightly dingy, most European hostels would be better than many hotels and guest houses here) and get locked every night. You don't have to drink to enjoy a holiday. I don't deny that I enjoy a drink or three but when I think back about my various trips I don't think the bars were the highlight of any of them. Even in the boring places.

As for a language barrier, so what! That's another reason to travel, pick up bits of a new language. Personally I love music and go to far off places to hear things I won't hear here. I'm also interested in history (particularly WW2) and travelling allows you to see things that you'd normally only read about in books or else not even be covered in books. I've stood where the second war started, I've eaten in restaurants that used to be bunkers for Hitler, I've been to a massive castle that used to belong to the grandmaster of the Knights Templar, I've been on top of the Eiffel tower and been in the Twin Towers. Does stuff like that make you NOT want to travel?

This summer I'm going to Poland with my girlfriend because we both love the country, the people, the culture and pretty much everything bar the beetroot soup. I say go travel whilst you can. Expand your horizons and learn about the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Something I never quite understood myself either.

Here's my results from that OT thing:
    Your Score: 12/20
    Coping but barely. It's time take a moment and balance your occupations. Although your health may not yet be affected in a major way, you may find that you are feeling more stressed and tired than usual. See below for more specifics.

In setting priorities you scored: 3/5
    You are managing but at times you may be choosing the wrong priority or none at all.

In planning you scored: 4/5
    Trouble is around the corner. You must take time for your energy boosters: a good night's sleep, eating with friends and/or family, and relaxing by taking a walk or listening to music. Consider an occupational therapy consultation to help you.

In pacing you scored: 3/5
    You are pacing yourself but you may be taking on a little too much or not anticipating interruptions. Try cutting back or delegating some tasks.

In positioning you scored: 2/5
    Congratulations. Your environment supports you and keeps your energy levels up.

In reverse order:

So, there you have it: I'm good with positions...

I want to delegate my Schols papers.

I get good nights' sleep, eat with friends and family, walk and listen to music! What am I doing wrong?

I have priorities...?

Yes, I know.

europerson wrote:
    Something I never quite understood myself either.
    Have you done it? I never saw the appeal til I did it. There's an innate wanderlust in many people I believe, sometimes it requires an awakening. James Joyce had it so bad that it could have been deemed an affliction. My parents had it. They met in sierra leone doing volunteer work. Just prior to that my dad had lived and worked well inside the arctic circle. He's also habited in california, england, texas and all over the population belt of canada (except any french part). My mother had stayed in strange places like trinidad, yemen etc.

I've often been struck by this almost frightening urge to travel all over east asia and south-east asia. Bar a freak accident there is no way I'm not going to fulfill this... I'm afraid however that I may just stay there, homesickness being something that doesn't seem to affect me.

The appeal of "dingy hostels" as you call them is not their dingyness, rather the people you meet there. Young people like yourself from all different cultures. There's an immediate camaradarie gained from common purpose. There's a sense that many of the real youth hostels are in existence due to likeminded (though maybe slightly beatnik) individuals. Franchise youth-hostel organisations I found on the whole more expensive, less accomodating, more patronising and far FAR less enjoyable. You get the feeling they exist solely to extract money from you. Anyway, back to student wandurlust: You gain a sense of wonder at the world in your travels that can't be gained from books, TV or the Holiday Inn. You're going to places where your influence as a tourist is negligible, the area hasn't been built up to accomodate or serve you, rather you are a transient seeing it for what it really is. I can safely say that the miniscule time of 5 weeks I spent backpacking around europe was an experience that significantly changed me, matured me and educated me.

• Advertisement

MaxBax wrote:
    Belgium, again, seemed rather boring, but Apexaviour seems to think it's good but the two physics/am boys seemed to hate it.
    Wouldn't exactly say we hated it but it's easy to see how we gave that impression. if you didn't live in a hovel, on crap wages and basically do a euro remake of "fear and loathing in las vegas" on cheap cans of rocketfuel and quality drugs, you might not return mentally scarred with a contempt for all continental types.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement