Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

So do I, but when you've been twisting your hair and tearing it out all day and generally having an episode, grooming is not your biggest priority.

Edit:

sdescentintomadness018custom2p.jpg

Don't diss my grooming. This pet bites. (so corny)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

does anyone know how to stick in a swf file from youtube onto bebo, the code copying and pasting doesn't seem to be working or the URL?

Pet wrote:
    So do I, but when you've been twisting your hair and tearing it out all day and generally having an episode, grooming is not your biggest priority.

Edit:

sdescentintomadness018custom2p.jpg

Is this a shill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Pet wrote:

That's hot.

My rant: the rain. the rain. the rain. I know it's only lasting for 10/15 min bursts, but it's heavy rain and i've been caught in it twice today.

Also, i went for a hair cut yesterday, but i was in a bit of a funny mood, so i asked her to take off 4 inches. My hair is shorter than usual. This will take me a while to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MaxBax

i really need a hair cut. i'm getting more and more like a chimney sweep.

• Advertisement

Is what a shill now?

You advertising yourself and, eh, your room. I'm just yanking you.

I'm just yanking you.

That's hot.

Pet wrote:
    That's hot.

OWLdance.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

That's a hoot

• Advertisement

one of my oldest friend has decided to leave the country for good for Scotland on the 7th..don't even know if ill get to see her before my placement starts (i leave on Sunday :()

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

fade wrote:
    you sir, are an idiot, if you KNOW that they put it there why not check first. jesus, how do you not fall down more??
    It's dark, I'm in a rush, it's not a harrowing experience (ie I'm not running over a dog) so it doesn't burn in my memory. You'd do it too phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

europerson wrote:
    I don't see what sociology offers that the more solid subjects of economics, political science, psychology, philosophy, geography, history and anthropology have not to offer. Just where does sociology fit in? What does sociology do that these subjects don't?

I took a Junior Freshman course in sociology, which was split into two sections: an introduction to sociology and an introduction to consumer society. Particularly in the case of the latter, it was made up of psychology, economics and some geography. The first module was made up of nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century philosophy, along with a healthy dose of feminist economics.

In this context, I find that sociology isn't really an academic discipline in itself, but rather is a mish-mash of several other subjects all brought together to synthesise a study of "society". It's the social scientific equivalent of trying to deny the existence of botany, zoology, physics, etc., and forcing under one umbrella of "science", whilst denying the individual subjects' rights to an identity of their own.

Don't judge the subject on the back of first year alone. I did all of sociology, political science, and economics in my degree and did Sociology and Political Science as my major subjects.

I find Sociology to be an immensely important subject. You're looking at it all the wrong way.

For the first point all the soical sciences are interconnected. It's just silly to look at them all as individual subjects. Of course economics can inform sociology and just as blindingly obviously sociology informs economics. All bad academics in the social sciences and humanities look just at their own subject and as a result produce a lot of bad work.

If you just looked at the world through the prism of economics (as some people do) you would end up in a warped reality where you use ideal type models to try and design the way the country runs which you would see no problems with. Sociology shows what actually happens and how society is and as such shows us inequality etc so policies can be adjusted to try and fight this. All the subjects you mention are reliant to some extent on most of the others if they're to be of any relevance.

The world is all around us and is formed by many forces (economic, cultural etc etc). Many people just think the only way the world could possibly be is the way it is and don't think about why it is this way. Sociology looks at the world to expose the forces which create these circumstances so we can better understand what's going on and be better positioned to change it.

I found Sociology to be a lot more insightful than Political Science in my time in college but doing both was a help in each as it informed me better of what's going on.

On an aside Anthropology is largely discredited. It was basically about imperialists (though often well meaning) taking white culture to be normal and examining other cultures and reporting how they were in a victorian kind of way. Why not look at our own soiciety rather than just looking at those of others?

I'd agree with stargal that Sociology should definitely be taught in schools.

Finally Marx, Durkheim, Weber, and the other 19th Century sociologists are far from just philospohy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I'm gonna have to throw my voice behind the "sociology is bolax" movement. I actually enjoy the lectures, as they're usually interesting, and the tutorials are class, as they involve actually discussing the world and coming up with new and interesting ways of looking at it. But trying to write essays in it has killed any interest I might have had in the subject - it becomes essentially an English test, marking you on how well you can express someone else's ideas in your own words. Any deviation from accepted sociological theory is automatically wrong, and that just irritates me - it's one thing for a real subject like economics or science to say "this is right, this is wrong", but when a subject as vacuous as sociology sets down such rigid boundaries, it annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think sociology is still too young a science (if it's even a science yet) to take too seriously. At the moment it reminds me of early chemistry with half baked ideas but no real hard theory or controllable experiments to strengthen it. Maybe in 50 or 100 years it will become stronger as technology and theory will catch up. At the moment it is not really more than philosophy mit stats und stuff. Of course to tar all of sociology with the same brush would be wrong but there's a lot more chaff than wheat in my opinion.

i hate when you eat a biscuit too fast, or don't pay attention to eating it. and it's gone before you know it. so you go looking for it, thinking you dropped it. then you realised you eat it. but you don't have that feeling of satisfaction cos you feel like just one more bite.

[rant] I liked when boards.ie/tcd wasn't just used as an SU ground for comments and stuff, and just a random place to talk about anything and all things trinners. Oh yeah, I know, the SU is to do with Trinity, but still I like viewing a non-SU board from time to time (shock horror) [/rant]

MaxBax wrote:
    i hate when you eat a biscuit too fast, or don't pay attention to eating it. and it's gone before you know it. so you go looking for it, thinking you dropped it. then you realised you eat it. but you don't have that feeling of satisfaction cos you feel like just one more bite.
    Your problems put mine totally into perspective, man. That's harsh.
    I liked when boards.ie/tcd wasn't just used as an SU ground for comments and stuff, and just a random place to talk about anything and all things trinners. Oh yeah, I know, the SU is to do with Trinity, but still I like viewing a non-SU board from time to time (shock horror)

Don't worry, if Daywalker Bob tries to turn this into an SU stomping ground, we'll eat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Really more of a moan than a rant: my mobile is a piece of ****, so I didn't get the text sent to me last night telling me that I didn't need to be in today for IVs until 10.30, so I showed up at 9.15. Boo-urns. Now I'm sitting in the 24-hour access room because it's the only warm, dry place in college that's open at this hour on a Sunday morning, and there's not even anyone else online (even at Bebo, which is usually a hive of activity) to annoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm with myth on the SU-ness of one thread on boards at the moment - and i'm one of the worst offenders. It's like when you're at the top of a cliff and you feel yourself being drawn towards the edge of it, and as you look down there's this temptation to throw yourself off into the open air.

In other moaning news, i have one of those niggling, sort of there headaches, not quite bad enough to be hitting the solpadeine, but kind of annoying. *moan*

And, i don't have any biscuits. :(

• Advertisement

yay, Shay showed me how to sort out those bebo videos (thank you :)) and now i'v finally got the cutest video in the world on bebo :)http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=519268092

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Bah, ****ed meself up again on friday. removed skin from head, hand knee, bruised ribs and shoulder and stiff neck. Got blood all over me pillow too. Think I might stop drunken cycling or give the drinkin' demons a stern talking to. Or pick up a suit of armour.

Re: sociology.

I actually think there's a lot to sociology. It's higher up on the "chain" (the chain, as in going from a chemical level up through biology) than psychology, and the higher up you go the more complex things get. But for that reason, I agree that it's very young yet, and it will be a long time before we can crack it open and feast on the juicy innards. I think, though, that it will discover some amazing truths down the line.

biology is far far more complex then chemistry. and physics.

Duh, that's exactly what I said..

cool. i won't hit you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

MaxBax wrote:
    biology is far far more complex then chemistry. and physics.
    lol sure :rolleyes:

Ugh, sick, hungover, my left eye hurts (which usually wouldnt bother me but when I got my eyes tested for the driving test the optician person said to come back if I ever felt pain in my left eye so now that has me worried), my dog just crapped everywhere and then fell in it so I had to give her a sponge bath and clean up. On top of that my mother is trying to get me to cook dinner and my dad twisted his back and is in bed. My brother keeps vomiting inexplicably for the past week, pills the doctor gave him aint workin. Tomorrow was my day to start back to third year stuff and go mental with study, today being my day to prepare. That's not happening.

Still haven't started my essay. I'm almost past the point of caring now, to be honest..

On the plus side, I thought I'd lost my guitar, but it's just in a friend's apartment..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

ApeXaviour wrote:
    my left eye hurts (which usually wouldnt bother me but when I got my eyes tested for the driving test the optician person said to come back if I ever felt pain in my left eye so now that has me worried).
    Interesting, I've had a piece of black something-or-other floatin' around the left eye for the last three or so months (at least). Maybe drinking heavily affects the left eye in some adverse way.

• Advertisement

Dead Ed wrote:
    Interesting, I've had a piece of black something-or-other floatin' around the left eye for the last three or so months (at least). Maybe drinking heavily affects the left eye in some adverse way.
    Detached retina

Might wanna give that a read, possibly get your eyes checked out. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's fun and games, but with no depth perception.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement