Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

So, I got about five "floaters" in me eye. I haven't flushed in ages so that might be it. Seriously though, I can't go to a doctor. I'm a man etc etc..

Edit, well, it's more like two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

*plumph*

That was the sound of me throwing in the towel on this ****ing essay. **** it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Essay? In first year? Eh?

Geography.

Pet wrote:
    Geography.

Oh right, THAT.

• Advertisement

Disclaimer: This is a moan and will not be interesting in any way whatsoever, so you shouldn't even bother reading. Seriously.

I have a geology test tomorrow morning, worth 5% of that subject for the year. I have done no work for this.

I have a geography essay due tomorrow at 3, worth 5% of that subject for the year. I have done no work for this.

I have a biology lab assessment on friday, worth 5% of that course for the year. I was out for the lab in question, hence I have no work done for this.

I have a chemistry test on monday, worth 5% of the year. I have done no work for this.

In between these delightful assessments, I still have to work 3 shifts, and do job interviews, and do all the random little jobs that need doing.

This, is all my own fault. I have nobody to blame but myself.

/moan

****ing government stamp duty my eye. €40 for owning a credit card? **** bastards. Just when I'm trying to save my non-record buying money for my holidays and they slap that on me. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

hmm have 4 patients with chronic schizophrenia, so have to get down to assessing and treating them...

am staying in a house where the window doesn't close so there's a massive cold draft downstairs :(..longford has way too many karoke bars :(

I done broke my maths internet! AGH!

(in other news, am in the library today. Have been here since 12 doing some research on stuff and other non-specific things. I feel studious, and slightly like a student again.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Myth wrote:
    I done broke my maths internet! AGH!
    Heheh I was done broke it too so me thought. But apparently the maths network is just completely fooked. I witnessed Neitschaen and prof/dr Richard Timoney having a big gobbledeegook schpeel about it. I heard "millions of errors" and might even have heard "virus" in the 5 minute conversation. I'm even not totally sure bout that one, was concentrating really hard on not losing consciousness you see. I'm sure Neitschaen can fill us all in if he's not developing an "anti"-virus ;)

I hope he remembers to explain it to us as he would a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

no no-virus, raid controller/hard disk problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Today i'm feeling really randomly angry. At stuff. At the world. :mad: At my toe for hurting. At anything and everything.

Think i'll go take a pile of glass bottles to the bottle bank, smashing them into the containers might make me feel better.

Rant: The smell of plastic pig. It burns.

raid controller
    Wow, I actually know what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Pet wrote:
    Wow, I actually know what that means.

wanna fill the rest of us in so?

Afaik, a RAID is where you have a load of hard drives linked up to a single controller (the raid controller) so that the network sees all the drives as one physical drive. And you can share stuff across the RAID, or duplicate data as a backup and such..

So if the RAID controller was ****ed, people with maths accounts wouldn't be able to access their filespace. I'm guessing that was the problem today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Those things smell like arse. seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Myth wrote:
    Rant: The smell of plastic pig. It burns.
    I find it a very pleasant smell. They're not real pigs: stop imagining smells!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Pet wrote:
    Afaik, a RAID is where you have a load of hard drives linked up to a single controller (the raid controller) so that the network sees all the drives as one physical drive. And you can share stuff across the RAID, or duplicate data as a backup and such..

So if the RAID controller was ****ed, people with maths accounts wouldn't be able to access their filespace. I'm guessing that was the problem today?

Thats a pretty close understanding of it. What you described was one possible RAID configuration. Generally RAID is just an array of hard drives connected in such a way as to increase performance and reliability.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    prof/dr Richard Timoney

Remember the Richard Timoney appreciation cubicle in the toilets? Good times.

I remember nothing from his course in first year but wow was he an entertaining lecturer :)

• Advertisement

Pet wrote:
    Emm mostly correct, but a RAID controller itself really has nothing to do with file sharing, that would be a net app. But in this case its the RAID controller in one of the servers , the server is doing nfs shares out to the other servers. So similar enough anyway(netapp's are specific pieces of hardware for more or less doing this, they can deal with many more nfs operations per second).
    Yep thats it, though u1/u4 are back online, which is most of the postgrads and science students sorted, its just staff and maths students offline at the moment.

STUPID MOTHER ****ING RAID CARD. its after wiping out anything i've done on my project in the last week mostly :/ , the files looked ok but full of garbage alot of em, been up since 4 trying to fix ****...uh :/

It's too early. ****ing freezing outside today as well - or at least it is this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Firstly, a woohoo/anti-moan: the Thrice album I bought yesterday rocks.

Now a rant: I like my job, but I hate having to work.

It's 12:17 by this computer; and I now have to go home to go to work. I preferred my Scholarly ways when I was staying in the library until 9:45pm only to then wander into the computer rooms and study summore. But at least I'm still nerdy, I took the book out of the library for a course I'm starting in October today. Non-linear linear regression for the win!

I want to live here :(.

Damn commuting. Damn parents for not buying a house on the North Circular when they had a chance. Damn Dublin Bus.

And while we're at it, John, damn taxes!

And while we're at it, John, damn taxes!

Let's storm the government. Coup! Coup!

But at least I'm still nerdy, I took the book out of the library for a course I'm starting in October today. Non-linear linear regression for the win!
    Is that for Econometrics?
    Damn parents for not buying a house on the North Circular when they had a chance.
    You're better off in Leixlip.

:o:o

This essay that I was dreading turns out to be...1200 words, or approximately 2 A4 pages. Here was me thinking it had to be about 5000 words or something. I can't believe what a retard I've been.

Feel free to kick me next time you see me.

:o:o

Pet wrote:
    Feel free to kick me next time you see me.

*Makes mental note*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

It's 12:17 by this computer; and I now have to go home to go to work. I preferred my Scholarly ways when I was staying in the library until 9:45pm only to then wander into the computer rooms and study summore. But at least I'm still nerdy, I took the book out of the library for a course I'm starting in October today. Non-linear linear regression for the win!

What is it with you post schol people and returing to the library???

You know sleep, relaxation, drink are all possibly good ideas at the moment, well they're good ideas in general, but, like, ahhh...take a break.

As for Econometrics, someone in work decided to talk me through it to ensure that i really wanted to do economics, and it sounds like a horrible nasty poncy subject, but on a plus note there is now an extra prize of 1500euro for the perosn who gets the best results. But then again thats not going to apply to me so ugh, evil subject

• Advertisement

What is it with you post schol people and returing to the library???
    Most of us have essays coming due now, because we got extensions until after Schols were over.
    You know sleep, relaxation, drink are all possibly good ideas at the moment, well they're good ideas in general, but, like, ahhh...take a break.
    I know: I missed two lectures this week, including one this morning at nine. I was just too tired to get up.
    As for Econometrics, someone in work decided to talk me through it to ensure that i really wanted to do economics, and it sounds like a horrible nasty poncy subject, but on a plus note there is now an extra prize of 1500euro for the perosn who gets the best results. But then again thats not going to apply to me so ugh, evil subject
    I think I'll take it next year, as part of single honours economics. Am I mad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement