Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beetles

Options
  • 31-08-2006 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this so feel free to move/delete.

I am petrified of the majority of bugs/insects/creepy crawlies. My most feared are slugs, snails and beetles. I didn't realise how afraid I was of beetles until recently as I don't have much contact with them. In the past week or so they have been turning up everywhere in our house. Sitting room, hall, kitchen but worst of all my bedroom. I was wondering what would cause this...infestation, and what should I do. I've started sitting with my feet up off the floor at all times and have to scrutinise everywhere I walk in the house. It's driving me crazy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

First of all, maybe easier said than done, but don't be scared of them. Relax. The majority are harmless. Many will get rid of other insects, so some are very useful. Are they all different sorts, or just mostly a lot of one type you are seeing.

If you are scared, catch them and let them go then. That is a better alternative to squashing them. I am just after catching something like that here a few minutes ago. A bit of paper is often as little as is necessary. Put a glass or a jar over them and slip the paper or card in underneath to cover the bottom, if you think they are going to get away. Even spend a little time looking at them in the item you have caught them in before bringing them outside and letting them go. That in itself might make them more interesting and fascinating to you. Who knows, a year from now it may be almost like a hobby for you, studying insects. Genuinely, they are fascinating.

It could just be the weather or the time of year. Give the house a good cleaning, all those hard to reach corners etc. You might find a hole or two that they may be getting in from. Only if things are really bad should you consider getting an exterminator in. Give it a while. Just don't let them scare you. They are more afraid of you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Now, maybe you won't want to look at this, but this is a protfolio of some wonderful shots of various insects, butterflies, moths and a few other creatures, showing them at their best. Have a look to see how wonderful they are:

http://www.photo.net/photos/siwanowicz

Advertisement