Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Revamp 2006

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You're talking tripe. Troll off.

I like that end to that arguement.

I amn't talking tripe I have proven that RTE spends 21,000,000 on foreign imports, most of which are not shown during prime time.

I am suggesting that for once an Irish semi-state body actually has something commerical and sources revenue from that commercial entity.

I am not suggesting getting rid of the licence fee to do this.

I amn't overly confident with a sports channel but if it is commerical viable then let it be. It wasn't the main point of my argument.

RTE could have at least two new television services with the amount of imports that it shows and all of those imports could be repeated during late night as they currently are.
    Why dilute it further, when commercial channels can do that?

TO PROVIDE MORE FUNDING TO THE TWO MAIN CHANNELS FOR MORE HOME PRODUCED SHOWS, TO PROVIDE A BRANDED SERVICE.

Unlike Channel 6 and its set of channels RTE will have a far better brand, which it can afford to the two commercial stations.
    The BBC has plenty of sports events, it can still manage to fill a Saturday and Sunday afternoon,

Isn't Grandstand being axed?
    So, there are going to be things that RTÉ can not afford to bid against. Market reality, as the BBC showed us in the 1990's.

I do understand that but their is nothing to suggest that RTE couldn't make a success of Sport over a commerical channel. Will setanta be able to afford GAA rights next time round? RTE will still have many GAA matches up until Setanta goes FTA.
    You clearly do not see that the likes of TV3 and Setanta will lobby hard that it will not allow RTÉ to smother the market like you suggest.

TV3 haven't got a leg to stand on IMO they have done nothing for this country and should not be given any extra licences for Digital Channel until they start providing programming on their current channel, ditto C6.

BUT BUT BUT

TV3, C6 and Setanta should also be given channels to compete againist RTE. The small amount of viewers that each look for would not be affected by RTE's 3 commerical channels.

Now bog off, or be a bit more respectful of other peoples veiws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Elmo, first of all why do you write all the knots in your numbers...can you not shorten it.

The idea that RTE could have two extra channels is completely ridiculous. Instead of having more channels RTE needs to improve its existing ones.

The idea that RTE could have two extra channels is completely ridiculous. Instead of having more channels RTE needs to improve its existing ones.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHH

FFS

Listen to me I am suggesting two Commercial channels prehaps 3. Maybe even RTE News and Sport would be an option for the news/sports channel.

C6 was set up on less 21,000,000 which RTE spend on imports alone.

This 11,000 hours of tv could support 2 extra commerical channels.

(11,000/365)/2 = 15hours per day per channel currently. surely 10 - 15 of those hours could be give to two new channels?

Remember TV3, C6 and Setanta will all want more TV channels that will provide more revenue, if that is the case why cann't RTE have a number of channels that would be commerical and rather then give profits to investors would put those profits into Homegrown productions.

Q ****ING ED
    Elmo, first of all why do you write all the knots in your numbers...can you not shorten it.

Ah!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Elmo wrote:
    I like that end to that arguement.

Ta. I liked it too.
    Elmo wrote:
    I amn't talking tripe I have proven that RTE spends 21,000,000 on foreign imports, most of which are not shown during prime time.

I am suggesting that for once an Irish semi-state body actually has something commerical and sources revenue from that commercial entity.

I really don't think you've seen what's been happening across the water with the BBC Charter renewal. What has occurred over there over the past few months are MP's and commercial industry sectors lobbying for what they want the BBC to be. Now, that gives the commercial industry the chance to say to a captive audience of how the BBC "skews" the market, how BBC Worldwide and its commercial activities affect their income and so on. Strong groups.

The same argument can be used against RTÉ, it is a large broadcaster with a good bit of cash, but it has the dual funding. A stronger rod for them to rid RTÉ with. Nobody in the UK has come up with an alternative to the TV licence, but RTÉ has a commercial footing, and we always hear that people say "we have ads on RTÉ why do we pay for it?" If the lobbyists play to that audience, fear for what we have.

That is why, IMO, your vision of RTÉ will not come to pass. Look at what the commercial sector urged the UK government into what they wanted BBC THREE and FOUR to be. BBC THREE to have only a few hours a week of imports from the US. If that was applied over here, it flies in the face of what you want, that's for sure.
    Elmo wrote:
    I am not suggesting getting rid of the licence fee to do this.

No one is, but the rod that is always used by the likes of TV3 is that they are dual funded, and have the edge. TV3, you and I agree, has added nothing to the Irish way of life, so yes, it can talk all it likes, but there are always people in government who are not fans of RTÉ, and will do anything in their power (and influence) to cure the ill that they see.
    Elmo wrote:
    Isn't Grandstand being axed?
    The brand is, but there will still be sport on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
    Elmo wrote:
    I do understand that but their is nothing to suggest that RTE couldn't make a success of Sport over a commerical channel. Will setanta be able to afford GAA rights next time round? RTE will still have many GAA matches up until Setanta goes FTA.

See, this is why I think you seem to understand audience data (and we cant have medialive to check), but you do have pie in the sky visions. Setanta won't be FTA. Its after spending hundreds of thousands of pounds in getting Premiership rights. Advertising will never pay that off! Even in the UK! Pfft!
    Elmo wrote:
    TV3 haven't got a leg to stand on IMO they have done nothing for this country and should not be given any extra licences for Digital Channel until they start providing programming on their current channel, ditto C6.

BUT BUT BUT
    TV3, C6 and Setanta should also be given channels to compete againist RTE. The small amount of viewers that each look for would not be affected by RTE's 3 commerical channels.

Hmmm. You say that extra licences shouldnt be given to TV3, yet they should? WTF? Like? :confused:
    Elmo wrote:
    Now bog off, or be a bit more respectful of other peoples veiws.

This is debate. I'm picking rather large holes in your extremely weak visions. And I'm here all week. :)

Hmmm. You say that extra licences shouldnt be given to TV3, yet they should? WTF? Like?

I know but as you say it wouldn't be fair to give RTE 4 new channels and leave TV3 out in the cold no matter how much I what to give out about them and their lack of Vision etc etc. That was the but :(
    I really don't think you've seen what's been happening across the water with the BBC Charter renewal.

While I have looked toward the BBC for my model, I personally could careless what goes on across the water. Bring back Greg Dyke IMO.
    The brand is, but there will still be sport on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Surely RTE have more sport then the BBC with GAA, IFA etc. The BBC has very little national sport.
    Setanta won't be FTA. Its after spending hundreds of thousands of pounds in getting Premiership rights. Advertising will never pay that off! Even in the UK! Pfft!

But why not, Setanta could always have a FTA station and have a PPV station. There is nothing to suggest that setanta wouldn't go FTA in the Ireland and remain PPV in the UK.

And lets just look at Film Four (not wanting to go back across the water) but it has just gone FTA as PPV wasn't working, nothing to suggest that advertising reveunes alone wouldn't help setanta. Sure FTA provides more viewers and more cash?

Even Setanta's interest in TV3 shows that they want some FTA, even giving over the irish world cup rugby match to TV3 rather then RTE proves that they view RTE as their main competitor. From what I gathered TV3 will become Setanta Sport in effect during these match, but I could be wrong about that.

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    The problem that RTE faces is that when DTT takes over from terrestial, every person in Ireland will have access to a large range of channels.

RTE can either decide to ignore that and loss viewers to other stations or it can create new channels to compete with these and if the new channels are run commercially, potentially help finance home grown content.

RTÉ had comepition before it was born, really. It has survived, and there will still be the need for a Irish national broadcaster. RTÉ's viewing figures have always stood up to the competitive nature that it has always had.

This isn't always the case that more = better. What ITV have seen (as have its shareholders) is that ITV2, 3 and 4 are performing well (ITV4 less so), but it seems at the expense of ITV1. So the biggest channel and by far the biggest earner, is looking rocky.

Thats why I reckon, RTÉ's multi-channel digital future will be small beer, compared with Elmo's vision.
    bk wrote:
    However where would RTE get the money to make such an investment? Well here is a radical idea for you, sell RTE's incredibly valuable Donnybrook property to a property developer for lots of money, build a larger, modern offices and studios in somewhere like City West and use the money left over (probably lots) to finance the setup of new channels.

Its not too radical. I'd be in favour of it.

However where would RTE get the money to make such an investment? Well here is a radical idea for you, sell RTE's incredibly valuable Donnybrook property to a property developer for lots of money, build a larger, modern offices and studios in somewhere like City West and use the money left over (probably lots) to finance the setup of new channels.

Why not outside of Dublin. Far more money after that.
    This isn't always the case that more = better. What ITV have seen (as have its shareholders) is that ITV2, 3 and 4 are performing well (ITV4 less so), but it seems at the expense of ITV1. So the biggest channel and by far the biggest earner, is looking rocky.

Really Digital TV has proven that more doesn't = Better, however ITV are a commercial TV Channel and should understand that while they will lose viewers to new channels from ITV1 it is better to lose them to their own channels such as ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4, all of which are SH1T.

Thats why I reckon, RTÉ's multi-channel digital future will be small beer, compared with Elmo's vision.

That's why RTE should have commerical channels.

I honestly don't think that the 4 suggest new channels would be that big, we seem to be suggesting that RTE will only have a news channel if they are lucky and TWO +1 channels, 3 new channels which will cost the same as my suggested 4 IMO.

RTE ONE
    RTE TWO
    THE DEN/RTE THREE = RTE ONE +1
    CUBS DEN/RTE FOUR = RTE TWO +1
    RTE NEWS = RTE NEWS
    RTE SPORT

Elmo wrote:
    I know but as you say it wouldn't be fair to give RTE 4 new channels and leave TV3 out in the cold no matter how much I what to give out about them and their lack of Vision etc etc. That was the but :(

I would like TV3 killed off in the morning. ***huggs*** :)

Elmo wrote:
    While I have looked toward the BBC for my model, I personally could careless what goes on across the water. Bring back Greg Dyke IMO.

Again, Elmo, some contradiction. We have always, always looked at whats gone on over there, we've always followed. There was talk of some RTÉ charter, dunno where that has gone to for now.

Elmo wrote:
    Surely RTE have more sport then the BBC with GAA, IFA etc. The BBC has very little national sport.

Trust me, BBC Sport has a portfolio of the biggest events. They may not have what they have had, but its still an envious collection, and rights holders make it very clear that the BBC covers sport well, and get an audience. Thats where the BBC is going nowadays, as opposed to out and out regualr sport. The slight problem with that is that it looks like regular horse racing is going.

Elmo wrote:
    But why not, Setanta could always have a FTA station and have a PPV station. There is nothing to suggest that setanta wouldn't go FTA in the Ireland and remain PPV in the UK.

And lets just look at Film Four (not wanting to go back across the water) but it has just gone FTA as PPV wasn't working, nothing to suggest that advertising reveunes alone wouldn't help setanta. Sure FTA provides more viewers and more cash?

Sky seem to have done well for themselves on advertsing and subscription. Of all the things, worldwide, Subscription channels for sport have worked. Film4 was small beer against Sky Movies, it was a little luxury that people could do without.

/me has visions of Sky Ireland boxes swimming across the water with FTA Setanta :)

/me has visions of Sky Ireland boxes swimming across the water with FTA Setanta

Nothing to suggest that Sky Ireland viewers wouldn't have to Pay for Setanta as well if they want free setanta they could alway stick in the Freeview Irish Box if it ever happens or their cable connection :)
    Again, Elmo, some contradiction. We have always, always looked at whats gone on over there, we've always followed. There was talk of some RTÉ charter, dunno where that has gone to for now.

If only we could stop doing that it rarely works out for us. Two complete different countries.
    I would like TV3 killed off in the morning.

During Ireland AM, Alan Hughes is first. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Your vision for RTÉ Digital is a bit wide of the mark I think too Elmo.
    Whereas your notion of commercial revenue-generating stations for RTÉ may have some merit - though frankly I cannot see them making any money given their potential audience share with American content of the Class B variety, niche sport and operational costs - the major major factor to be considered here as DMC has said is the politics of it all.

Even as things stand, RTÉ is not a fully secure organisation in its current form. Whereas it is by no means subject to the whims of Government to the ridiculous extent often portrayed, it is at the end of the day in operation as a public service broadcaster. Its principal aim is to produce public service television and radio. It is one thing to source commercial revenue from elsewhere to fund PSB, such as DVD sales, RTÉ Guide, international sales etc etc, but to fund public service television with additional commercial television, in what is already a commercially-driven market, radically alters RTÉ's position in the marketplace, its structure, and the very essence of what it is in existence to do. At a time when PSB across Europe is being slammed for transmitting relatively limited amounts of acquired and commercial content, the very last thing RTÉ needs is to be seen as a bloated behemoth in a tiny market, churning out commercial content to support its already successful flagship stations.

And for once I would agree with the whinges of TV3 in how they would react to such a proposal. RTÉ has no business in becoming so commercially involved in the market – it’s not the ESB we’re talking about here. RTÉ’s remit is to produce public service programming, and via the 1988 Act to be complemented by commercial broadcasting. By all accounts it does have a commercial remit, and this is already exploited via popular content on the flagship channels, not to mention 2fm, RTÉ’s various private sales arms, and many other outlets. It is when you start availing of the very medium you are involved in to generate even more revenue for existing services you begin to lose political support. And it’s when you begin diluting the station’s brand with a plethora of channels showing a bizarre concoction of principally acquired programming that you lose public support.

And this latter point is a major major factor. RTÉ as currently extant is a compact, relatively coherent public service broadcaster. It has a decent, comparatively structured schedule, shown on market-targeted stations - a clear brand, where people can by and large see where their licence fee is going, can see which are public service programmes and which are not, and they can observe and appreciate (if they bother to) why RTÉ exists. There is no doubting that the station could do with more ‘space’ to increase news output to a degree, to accommodate more sport, and better serve children/young people. But to add up to four additional channels, with no clear identity from day one, and showing reels and reels of second-rate acquired material and repeats would be political and public suicide. No way should RTÉ’s quality brand be associated with such mediocre broadcasting – it would be disastrous for RTÉ’s image. Also factoring in the media frenzy that would ensue after a few months, with ‘5000 Viewers Shock’ in every second rag, and analysis of the standard of acquired material: “Is this the digital future we were promised” etc etc. It would be non-stop. Commercial television on such a level is simply not RTÉ’s business – public service is, and as currently stands is doing quite well in terms of funding. It’s not as if the station is desperate for other revenue streams to try and prop up poor aul PSB.

Far far better to consolidate RTÉ Television with its two principal stations as is, plus two additional permanent channels – one informational/news/repeats and one Oireachtas. A 1+ station could be used when needed for sport or the very odd special event. Originally I was of the view that a children’s/young people’s channel could be an option too, but I think it would end up being too commercial and too detached from the body broadcaster, and in any event this audience is equally entitled to be served on one of the principal stations, namely RTÉ Two. This existing station must continue to provide a varied range of programming that serves the entire population, with the additional channels being more targeted but still popular in content. RTÉ Two serves the younger market very well, as it does the sport sector, but needs to improve with more home-produced material and a more BBC Two-like outlook in prime time.

All in all, I want to see RTÉ, in terms of structure and in terms of brand, consolidated, not torn apart by the fashionable whims of digital television. It is doing very well even as it is – digital should only be used to enhance the broadcaster’s public service remit, nothing else.

I also strongly reject the notion of selling off Montrose for a quick buck – in any event it wouldn’t generate enough cash to build new facilities and fund digital. It’s not worth nearly as much as people think: only €90-€100 million. The iconic campus is also strongly connected to the history and development of Irish broadcasting, has many unique purpose-designed buildings of international significance, and even has Montrose House on site: home of the wife of Marconi of all people – indeed he often stayed at the house! Anyway, RTÉ could never move to motorwayland with its 2000-stong staff of bicycle-pushing liberal lefties :D

• Advertisement

Top post, Telefis.
    Telef&#237 wrote: »
    I also strongly reject the notion of selling off Montrose for a quick buck – in any event it wouldn’t generate enough cash to build new facilities and fund digital. It’s not worth nearly as much as people think: only €90-€100 million. The iconic campus is also strongly connected to the history and development of Irish broadcasting, has many unique purpose-designed buildings of international significance, and even has Montrose House on site: home of the wife of Marconi of all people – indeed he often stayed at the house! Anyway, RTÉ could never move to motorwayland with its 2000-stong staff of bicycle-pushing liberal lefties :D

LOL.... D4 suits the Dart running Dalkey set ... I used to think that way, until the BBC bulldozed Pebble Mill. A hugely iconic building, and yes, it was a sad day a couple of years ago when it closed its doors, but must everything be preserved and mothballed like that, because of what it was? We'll always have the film, people will have their memories. And this is a TV nostaglia nut typing. I'm sure that the Marconi house is a listed building, but its a decent thought to sell the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,893 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought it was his ma not his wifey?

I would be more forgiving to the commerical channels if they actually made TV and I amn't talking about just the fluff that they produce so that they can meet their requirements. i.e. Ireland AM, The Hub, Sports Tonight, The GAA Show, Pop Scene, Quiz 6 and Night Shift. :)

That is why I am suggesting that RTE also have commerical channels, to support home productions. As you point out 2FM currently does this.

After all TV3, C6, City and Setanta will all look to have the same supporting channels only to give that money over to their Investors.

I am not suggesting that RTE THREE/THE DEN dum down its output, rather place the movies and shows that RTE put at the back of the schedule which have had critical and popular acclaim on during Prime Time RTE THREE. RTE have a good set of people buying in its shows unfortunately they buy into much for two channels.

BBC THREE and FOUR + E4 and MORE 4 are repeat channels IMO. Well done repeat TV but repeat TV at that.

RTE TWO is a mish mash of commerical TV and "complementary programming".

Complementary Programming = Repeats of Friends/The Simpsons, badly re-narrated documentries by Derek Mooney/Repeats of TG4 documenties and Archive RTE. (Oh! and When poplar bears attack)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭seamus21514

Telef&#237 wrote: »

Far far better to consolidate RTÉ Television with its two principal stations as is, plus two additional permanent channels – one informational/news/repeats and one Oireachtas.

I disagree with the Oireachtas channel, because, sure, it's cheap, But is anybody going to watch it? Look at BBC Parlament. Since, RTÉ is supposed to service the people, i think they should make a combined childrens, comedy, drama, and film channel, ike BBC 3. Sure they have the right to have an Oireachts channel, but noones going to watch it. They should just make it an online live feed if they want it so much.

Also, I think that they should have a combined channel like what would be if BBC4 and N24 merged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I disagree with the Oireachtas channel, because, sure, it's cheap, But is anybody going to watch it? Look at BBC Parlament. Since, RTÉ is supposed to service the people, i think they should make a combined childrens, comedy, drama, and film channel, ike BBC 3. Sure they have the right to have an Oireachts channel, but noones going to watch it. They should just make it an online live feed if they want it so much.

Also, I think that they should have a combined channel like what would be if BBC4 and N24 merged.

Of course people will watch it; very few I'd wager but RTÉ aren't supposed to be going for populous viewing, if anything they should be producing programming for minority interests where commercial TV would look after the majority.
    It really shouldn't be an issue of viewership figures for RTÉ

Of course people will watch it; very few I'd wager but RTÉ aren't supposed to be going for populous viewing, if anything they should be producing programming for minority interests where commercial TV would look after the majority.
    It really shouldn't be an issue of viewership figures for RTÉ

I think TG4 should get the Oireachtas channel (the OC :rolleyes: ) but seriously I do. Of course I also think TG4 should also be aloud have some commerical channels. I know I am now going to be completely laughed out of here but here it goes.

TG4
    CULA4/CEOL4
    Oirechtas Channel +EuroNuacht
    Scannan4 :)

Elmo wrote:
    I think TG4 should get the Oireachtas channel (the OC :rolleyes: ) but seriously I do. Of course I also think TG4 should also be aloud have some commerical channels. I know I am now going to be completely laughed out of here but here it goes.

TG4
    CULA4/CEOL4
    Oirechtas Channel +EuroNuacht
    Scannan4 :)

Well I'd imagine that if an Oireachtas channel comes about it may be tendered for, I just think RTÉ has a better chance of getting it; I don't see any reason why TG4 should get it over RTÉ but either way I think someone should launch it... considering that Oireachtas TV would not be commercially successful IMO I'd say RTÉ will be the only ones to take the risk.

From speaking to TG4 they are interested in creating some new stuff, but I'd say interactive TV might come before new channels and none of that will happen until it makes the move away from RTÉ

Well I'd imagine that if an Oireachtas channel comes about it may be tendered for, I just think RTÉ has a better chance of getting it; I don't see any reason why TG4 should get it over RTÉ but either way I think someone should launch it... considering that Oireachtas TV would not be commercially successful IMO I'd say RTÉ will be the only ones to take the risk.

Since they (TG4) currently cover events in the Oireachtas and Public Accounts Committees.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I agree with Elmo, there is a need for at least one RTE channel to carry primetime US TV at Prime time. It is riduclous that my father will be watching the excellent show 24 tonight at 11, this show should be shown at about 9 like it was on Sky. The same can be said for many other excellent US shows like the West Wing, Alias, Stargate, CSI, etc.

Sure all of you guys mightn't like these shows, but the are very popular amongst the younger generation. IMO RTE 2 badly serves the 15 - 35 male audience, RTE are already losing it to the likes of Sky and C4.

The point is this wouldn't cost RTE much money, they already buy in most of the best US shows as it is, the problem is that they show them at awful times at the moment. The idea would be to show them at prime time on RTE 3 and continue to use them as filler at off peak times on RTE 1 and 2. It wouldn't cost much extra as they already have the shows bought in.

BTW RTE already has a Den TV channel on NTL. It is just the normal Den TV coverage, but separated into the Kids TV section on NTL.

RE: Selling Montrose
    It is a large area in D4, trust me it would make a lot more money then 90 - 100 million. And even 90 - 100 million would build you a much larger campus and studio with all modern equipment if it was outside the M50. Already RTE has been putting a lot of equipment in city west for their internet services, etc. so it would make sense.

RE: Setanta FTA
    It is perfectly possible that Setanta will retain a FTA channel while also having pay channels to carry the premier league material, etc. If Setanta want to ever compete to get the GAA coverage, they will need to have a FTA channel available to everyone in Ireland as that is a prerequiste for the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Okay, yes – there is decent point being made here alright. I must admit a bias with this US content, in that I watch little to none of it, so know little of the agony that I’m sure so many Irish youths are forced to endure :)

The current big-hitters still fit very well into RTÉ Two: the likes of Desperate Housewives, Lost, The Sopranos – and all are scheduled at reasonable times. These will still be essential to the future of RTÉ Two – they provide variety, as well as a massive boost to the home-produced content clamped either side. This should not change come digital. However, if there is surplus of supposedly quality acquired material in RTÉ’s schedule, well one would have to ask why they are buying it. Clearly they only view it as being complementary, so to have this on a dedicated RTÉ channel is questionable in terms of potential audience share, and in terms of quality and RTÉ being associated with a channel of such concentrated mediocrity dare I say. Then again, I don’t watch this stuff, so if what you say is correct – that this content is good, that this content has a large following, that it will achieve decent audiences, and that it is worthy of a dedicated channel, then perhaps an additional station operating from 7 or 8pm to midnight is not out of the question – however purely for ease of scheduling on the flagship stations, not to drain resources or increase RTÉ’s commercial clout.
    Just, at a time when there is so much vacuous content, repeats and general room for improvement on RTÉ Two as is, it seems unnecessary to establish yet another station simply to accommodate the odd popular US drama. Essentially it would end up becoming ‘RTÉ US’, “The best of the United States” as per RTÉ 2 of old with the UK. If the case, it would prove very contentious in this marketplace.

We must remember that this content is the very stuff that TV3 will want to get its hands on for an additional channel/s, and will not be at all amused at RTÉ expanding its services to drain more of this acquired content out of the market. And just on RTÉ not serving the 15-34 category well enough – I agree. But your inference bk is that this will be satiated by imported American content. This is RTÉ we’re talking about here – it is up to them to make more material for this demographic, and transmit on the existing services, not simply import it!

On the RTÉ campus – it is the very worst type of planning to decentralise a major organisation from near the centre of an urban area to its outskirts, and making it car dependant. It is equally bad broadcasting practice in light of the extent to which RTÉ depends on Dublin city infrastructure and the resources in the centre in particular in the making of so much of its product, everything from government to state departments, universities, hotels, businesses, financial and economic sources, interest groups, street locations, retail outlets, pedestrians representing ‘the public’ etc etc.
    If anything, the broadcaster is ideally placed at present, sited halfway between the city centre and its resources on one side and the southern leg of the M50 on the other: providing easy access to the rest of the country, and the rest of the country to it. Admittedly agreed about the value of the RTÉ site though. Four years ago it was stated numerous times in the media to be worth €80 million, so I upped it a bit – but €80 million even then seemed very very conservative. I presumed it was the fact that its such a large 45ish acre site that it wouldn’t be worth as much per acre as a single acre as a stand-alone development…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Telefís I agree with you, I don't think RTE should go away and spend lots of extra money on US TV, rather all I'm saying, is that they should have an extra channel to show the excellent US TV shows on prime time that they have already purchased as filler on RTE 1 and 2.

I really wouldn't see such a channel as costing much to run, the content has already been bought, you just need some backend staff to run it, switch tapes etc.

As for it effecting RTE 1 or 2's viewers, trust me, RTE has already lost this audience. Look at Wednesday:

RTE 1
    20:00 Fair City Dolores tells Mags that she is planning to foster Cleo. Sarah walks out on Bela. Mick takes Rory on another booze run. A strange illness seems to have gripped Carrigstown
    20:30 How Long Will You Live? Health and lifestyle series. Dr Mark Hamilton supervises a series of health assessments for 44-year-old mother of six Geraldine Patten, who constantly feels tired and stressed Set a Reminder
    21:00 RTE News: Nine O'Clock The latest stories
    21:30 Charity You're a Star Ten contestants take part in a special edition of the show to raise money for charities. Presented by Derek Mooney with judges Louis Walsh, Linda Martin and Brendan O'Connor

RTE 2
    20:00 Take Two: Waterways Dick Warner travels the inland waterways of Ireland in this classic from the RTE archives
    20:30 Take Two: Hands Documentary from the RTE archives, highlighting traditional crafts and lifestyles with the emphasis on the skills of human hands, rather than machines
    21:00 CSI: Miami American drama series. Horatio and Delko search Miami to bring down the Mal Noche gang once and for all

With the exception of CSI: Miami there is nothing here to appeal to my age group, we are either down at the pub or watching Sky One or C4. Once upon a time RTE 2 was supposed to appeal to the 15 - 35 age group, but how in gods name are they putting on a documentary about hand crafts at prime time and a repeat at that? Frankly it is embarrassing.

You say RTE should make more TV to appeal to this age group, but I don't know if it really can, this age group likes big budget US action shows, something RTE just can't afford to do. RTE is good at doing documentaries and current affairs, but not drama or action. The only stuff that RTE does for this age group is the Your a Star show and the brilliant Podge and Rodge.

As for TV3 doing this stuff, that is what troubles me, TV3 has proven itself completely incapable of doing it. You see RTE some how seems to be able to buy up the top US tv shows from the major US TV networks and then puts on those shows after 11pm. While it seems TV3 only buys up the crap us off peak filler shows from the smaller US networks and then proceeds to show it at prime time.

That is why I'm so anxious to see RTE launch a third channel, so that the content it already licenses gets a fair viewing.

Actually you said you fear RTE's brand would get diluted and damaged by showing crap US stuff. I disagree, the US content that RTE owns is so good and so much better then TV3 and C6, that it would actually help reinforce RTE's brand of carrying top notch TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Elmo wrote:
    I know what the stats are. I don't need references. The fact that my reference point is down does not prove that I am incorrect with my figures.

That site does go down from time to time.

For some strange reason they stop the 7pm repeat of LOST ????? Which is an hour long show that seemed to suit fridays before 9pm ??????

Figure for aquired shows is actually 21,629,000 for last year. http://www.rte.ie/about/rte_ar05_english.pdf
    PAGE 54

while your having a nice chat with him there can you ask him why alias is on at 1230 and later?

I want to create a separate post (perhaps worthy of it's own thread?) about RTE's property.

Land in D4 has sold for between €20 and €40 million per acre. That would make RTE's 45 acre site worth between €900 million and €1.8 billion!!!! :eek:

4 bed houses are going for €4 million in D4, so it isn't hard to believe that it wouldn't be worth at least €10 million per acre.

Now RTE could build an absolutely fabulous campus, twice the size, with modern offices, fantastic new, large studios, all new cameras and lighting, etc. for that money and still have loads left over to help set up a couple new digital channels, 24 hour news channel, expand and improve its web presence, etc.

The benefits would far outweigh the disadvantages. I'm not talking about sending them off to somewhere out West, just move a few miles to a cheaper green field site somewhere along the M50. Many business have moved to City West without any problems, in fact it would probably be more accessible there to the majority of ordinary Irish people and it staff then being in D4.

If they really need it they could rent some office space near government buildings in the city centre and set it up as an interviewing studio for the politicians, etc., like Sky News does. In fact it would be more convenient for them then it is at the moment. Or even come to an agreement with the developers who purchase Montrose, to maintain some space for a RTE studio, in whatever building they build.

I don't see why RTE could sell the RTE CAMPUS. Move outside dublin all together save the News Room.
    We must remember that this content is the very stuff that TV3 will want to get its hands on for an additional channel/s, and will not be at all amused at RTÉ expanding its services to drain more of this acquired content out of the market. And just on RTÉ not serving the 15-34 category well enough – I agree. But your inference bk is that this will be satiated by imported American content. This is RTÉ we’re talking about here – it is up to them to make more material for this demographic, and transmit on the existing services, not simply import it!

RTE 3 would not just be an american Import Service but also a repeat service like E4 is to British shows for C4. After all that's what both E4, ITV2 and BBC3 seem to be doing.
    RTE is good at doing documentaries and current affairs, but not drama or action.

Pure Mule will be back :)
    while your having a nice chat with him there can you ask him why alias is on at 1230 and later?

I don't know????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

What RTÉ need to do is launch a digital channel that is unencryped and can be seen all over Europe. This channel would carry RTÉ and TG4 programming and could also be used for extended programme coverage, news etc. for Irish audiences.

What RTÉ need to do is launch a digital channel that is unencryped and can be seen all over Europe. This channel would carry RTÉ and TG4 programming and could also be used for extended programme coverage, news etc. for Irish audiences.

RTE GOLD/NEWS or RTE INTERNATIONAL would work well. IMO

Tye should also broadcast it in the US and Canada. There would be a large market.

Also, I think RTE should have some form of regionality, even though it would be for a short time. I would divide it into West, south, midlands, Dublin. Simple.

Tye should also broadcast it in the US and Canada. There would be a large market.

Also, I think RTE should have some form of regionality, even though it would be for a short time. I would divide it into West, south, midlands, Dublin. Simple.

You mean like the way the BBC and ITV work? I think the only possibility there would be for News coverage, and even then the country is so small that it's probably not a great idea... maybe at best each of the cities getting their own opt out for 5 or 10 minutes..

That's what I ment, a short 5-10 minute news opt-out, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They should have Brian Kennedy drawn, quartered and his head paraded 'tween the four corners of the country.

"Tubridy, you're next bucko"

On a slightly more serious note, we need a political satire. Fup the logo and other fluffy concerns. RTÉ need to take the bull by the horns and deliver some more quality relevent content. Fair City is a piss-poor excuse for a soap when compared with the likes of Ideal on BBC3.
    They need to lose the duality of "modern cosmopolitan Dublin" and "twee Paddy & Gráinne".

Light Entertainment really needs to be hammered into something to be proud of.
    The Focker mentioned at the top of this post singing covers shotgunned with EuroTard is a bloody disgrace and an insult to anyone with a shred of taste or appreciation for talent.

There is very little in the way of contemporary music outside of Louis Walshe's domain. Why? It's not like we're short of indigenous talent.

Bring back The END.

Advertisement