Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Revamp 2006

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Elmo wrote:
    The into music is very sterotypically newsy, I am suprised that the don't have a booming voice over

"Your watching RTE News Live from the RTE News in Donnybrook Dublin 4 with Una O' Hagan and Brian Dobson..... It's six one."

They only used that for Six One and I bet it will return on Monday when Dobbo is back and Six One is back to one hour.

Actually it was "It's Six One. <long silence, headline bed starts> RTE News <long silence> with <long silence> Bryan Dobson <long silence> and <VERY long silence> Sharon Ni Bheolain."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

"It's Six One. <long silence, headline bed starts> RTE News <long silence> with <long silence> Bryan Dobson <long silence> and <VERY long silence> Sharon Ni Bheolain."

Yeah but it wasn't a very good voice over, their are plenty of good voice over artist in RTE why did they use him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fegsmoke

A theme which dominates the threads below is whether or not RTE could sustain new channels. However, as many posters have stated RTE is currently providing a skeleton service in terms of the range of its programming.

NEWS:
    Yes, there are several bulletins of news BUT RTE does not invest enough money in having reporters based internationally. RTE News navel gazes quite a lot. Correspondents in Ireland are sheepish when questionning foreign parliamentarians etc. Sometimes regional accents actually only serve to lessen the authoritativeness of the news - no training seems to be given in enunciating words correctly and many foreign proper nouns are mispronounced by both correspondents and presenters alike.
    There is certainly no need for a News Channel as this would only exacerbate the current paltry offering.

EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING

RTE includes in its Educational Programming series such as Hidden History. In fact Ireland is very badly served by RTE on this one. There are no schools programmes on television - no helpful revise wise style programmes for the leaving cert. No meaty intellectual discussions on religious matters (I mean proper theology - not Fr Ted discussing the lack of nuns in Ballyspittle) philosophy.
    . No programmes to teach English to our new countryfolk from the EU and beyond. No history series about topics not to do with Ireland - the ones they do show about other world issues are mostly produced by the BBC.

One of the cheapest shows to create and probably a popular format among viewers is a POINTS of VIEW programme. Could you imagine the laugh it would be seeing the irish public really give RTE what for. They need to be more honest about what the public really think about their programming and perhaps then they would adapt!

PROGRAMMING TO SELL ABROAD

Answer this how many irish programmes are viable to sell abroad - very few!!!
    i mean how many people abroad are really interested in programmes which only reflect an irish point of view? Programmes like Pure Mule and The Clinic are sellable but I dont think RTE has even tried to market them. RTE could produce more programming which could be sold elsewhere therefore making more money for more Irish productions. This situation is really poor.

RTE 1 and 2 - thats the future - two strong Irish channels carrying good programming to make us proud and to entertain challenge and inform us. Enough of the drivel - forget the viewing figures - theyve made RTE pander for too long to a chav culture that doesn't reflect the diversity of experiences in this small population of ours. And for goodness sake - FORGET RTE 3 4 kids sport or anything else. Waste no more bloody money on frig all - coz thats what they would be.

Rant away lads - i'm done with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

fegsmoke wrote:
    NEWS:
    Agreed about no need for a 24/7 channel, (something adaptable would suffice) but there is nothing you can do with regional accents, they are part of what we are as a country, however you might cringe, but I wouldn't like to see a D4 accent being all-pervasive in RTÉ
    fegsmoke wrote:
    EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING

When it does it, its good, but there should be more. IIRC, there has been nothing on RTÉ for school leavers since Gavin Duffy's Giz a job programme in the late 1980's.
    fegsmoke wrote:
    One of the cheapest shows to create and probably a popular format among viewers is a POINTS of VIEW programme. Could you imagine the laugh it would be seeing the irish public really give RTE what for. They need to be more honest about what the public really think about their programming and perhaps then they would adapt!

BRING BACK MAILBAG! DIG UP ARTHUR MURPHY!! :D
    If that is not possible, then seriously, yes there is a need.
    fegsmoke wrote:
    RTE 1 and 2 - thats the future - two strong Irish channels carrying good programming to make us proud and to entertain challenge and inform us. Enough of the drivel - forget the viewing figures - theyve made RTE pander for too long to a chav culture that doesn't reflect the diversity of experiences in this small population of ours. And for goodness sake - FORGET RTE 3 4 kids sport or anything else. Waste no more bloody money on frig all - coz thats what they would be.

Rant away lads - i'm done with this.

You speak sense. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭seamus21514

I think a reasonable third channal would be news in the day, drama, comedy at night. It would make sence for it to simulcast builitens on rte1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Broadcastman

:eek: Expect majour changes when it returns at end of month all crew are in from next sat doing dry runs wit audience and everything i think they got a big new set and stuff but def majour changes coming.

News

Internationally RTE are week. Regional accents IMO are good lets face it we would all be complaining if they all had D4 accents. But a news service is possible IMO.

Education

True very little Education Programming. The PM Live show had a jobs show at night for a while on N2 and previous to that we had Get A Life which took over from Jo Maxi in the mid90s. Could Read Write Now be considered English lanuage lessons?

Feedback

Is need and has been missed in the last 10 years IMO.

International Sales

Lyric's Board and Riverdance have made RTE money. RTE's international sales unit website http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmesales/

I don't know if international sales should be all that important to a national public service broadcaster E.G. Pure Mule while excellent is very Irish.

Now I get into my Rant.

RTE ONE and RTE TWO should both be put at the top of the list of prorities. But this would mean futher investment into RTE TWO which RTE continue to consider a second channel.

If we go with the view that STRONG british channels should be available on Irish DTT this will have an adverse effect for all Irish channels on the DTT Network, espically when many of those stations have opt out add breaks for the irish market. TV3, Channel 6 and Sentanta would not be happy.

Giving RTE extra channels would provide more access to Irish TV stations and would help other Irish TV grow an audience.

http://www.rte.ie/news/
    So is a News channel possible? Yes! Why? Because RTE already produce news over a 12 hour period. Certainly they need an improvement but to state you don't like a reporters accent is snobbery and not a major issue. I am not suggesting a 24 hour news service only a service that would supplement the current news on RTE ONE and RTE TWO.

As for RTE THREE AND RTE FOUR well it is possible IMO.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/ttv/
    RTE currently spend 21million euro on foreign aquisition much of which is shown outside of Prime Time.

1. This is not down to the show being really bad e.g. The West Wing, Third Watch, The Practice, Medium and 24 etc.
    2. Regardless of other Irish stations wanting those show they won't stop RTE buying them.

So why not just show those shows on during prime time on RTE THREE.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theden/
    The Den is pretty much a stand alone TV channel already providing a childrens TV channel. We could call The Den the world first Children's Channel since it started back in 1985, but prehaps there is an older children's channel.

http://www.rte.ie/music/
    RTE FOUR would be dail proceedings, education, citizen information, arts and documentries.

I am not suggesting that major amounts of extra money is spent on the new channels, but RTE should at least use what they have to provide extra channels.

Like BBC 3 and 4, RTE 3 and 4 would repeat alot of the top shows on RTE 1 and 2 and repeats of other shows, giving them more of mix i.e. RTE 3 could repeat shows like Pure Mule while not relying on american shows and RTE 4 could repeat War Stories and not relying on Education.

RTE ONE
    RTE TWO
    06:00 - 19:00 THE DEN 19:00 - 01:00 RTE THREE
    RTE FOUR 14:00 - 01:00
    RTE LIVE (NEWS, Current Affair and sport)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

In reality.... we are going around in ****ing circles again. No opinions have changed since the last thread, and I'm not going to discuss this any further.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Threads on the same subject merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The whole new Rte news looks very cheap. The music is cheap also it sounds like some of the cheap boarding music you hear on Ryanair. I dont like the new rte news looks. Its cheap its very tacky. It makes TV3 news look good and thats saying something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Nothing much has changed, just music and animation and a few other frills. It ends well though, at least the end is good. But why do the news readers all shout?

The whole new Rte news looks very cheap. The music is cheap also it sounds like some of the cheap boarding music you hear on Ryanair. I dont like the new rte news looks. Its cheap its very tacky. It makes TV3 news look good and thats saying something.

Nah I don't think it looks cheap it just doesn't look all that good. The table is too small for 3 news readers they all looks squashed.

I like the steortypical newsy music lol, far better then TV3 newsy music which is also very sterotypically newsy.
    Nothing much has changed, just music and animation and a few other frills. It ends well though, at least the end is good. But why do the news readers all shout?

The set has totally changed and the graphics ?????

You need to turn your TV down :)

nah! I have never noticed that they shout.

Advertisement