Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat is being put to sleep on Friday :(

Options
  • 31-08-2006 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post here as I'm in bits. My 18 month old cat Tisky has gone downhill health-wise in the last month or so. At first, he seemed just a bit out of sorts, like he didn't want any human company (ordinarily he is a real people cat, loves attention and cuddles). Gradually though, he has lost a lot of weight (we gave him a worming treatment which didn't work) and his voice is gone (can't miaow).

I brought him to the vet today anyways... news was not good. The vet took a blood sample and did some tests - it turns out that Tisky has FeLV, which is essentially a fatal virus and highly contagious to other cats. We have no other feasible option now than to put him to sleep, and I am distraught. The vet said that I didn't have to do it there and then, as Tisky isn't in any pain as such, rather the vet said that he just feels very fluish and run down. We've taken him home to spend a couple of evenings with him, but I just can't handle the idea of bringing him down there on Friday... it breaks my heart.

What REALLY makes me angry is this. Someone in the neighbourhood owns a HUGE tomcat, who for the past month has started to come to our garden and terrorise our poor cat (Tisky is a really passive cat, not into other cats at all, always runs away when he sees another cat), but this other cat comes down and will start chasing Tisky and one more than one occasion has caught him and bitten him. I mentioned this to the vet today - he said its highly likely this tomcat is the carrier and has passed this onto my lovely little cat. Also, he said that the reason he's probably so aggressive is that he hasn't been neutered, and thats why this other tom acts with such aggression towards other cats. I'm so, SO angry at people who are so irresponsible as to not have their animals neutered.. my cat was okay until this other cat appeared on the scene, and now his life is cut short at 18 months....

The worst of it is, I had a cat previous to Tisky. Her name was Poosh and she was put down in 2004... that in itself was hard to deal with, but she died of complications due to her advancing age... she was 10 (not ancient for a cat, but not "young" like Tisky). This is much, MUCH harder to deal with...

I'm sorry for the ramble, I'm just so upset and so ANGRY at people who take on to have a pet without thinking of the conseqeunces.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Know how you feel... but its for the best and you are doing the right thing.... good luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah, not the Stumpy offspring :( That sucks. Really sorry to hear that embee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sorry to hear the news about your cat, embee. I hope you have had lots of fun times and good memories to hold onto for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

Sorry about your cat.
    When reading about the terrible Tom cat i thought of Stumpy funnily enough (not knowing it was Stumpys offspring).
    At least you gave the cat a good home for its life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. my dog is getting old, and as she is half Jack Russel, she has bad arthritus. It's really hard to see her like that, we got some stuff from the vet that relieves her a bit, but I don't think she has much longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

That is so sad my heart goes out to you - you probably are counting the hours down, I know I would. Give her the best last days a cat could wish for and let her go on purring in your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

That's an awful thing to be facing, you must be very upset.
    Had your cat been vaccinated against FeLV? The vaccine is only up to 85% effective, it's a horrible disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm sorry too to hear about your cat but would you consider getting a second opinion? I'm not doubting your vet but some vets are better with some types of animals than others, I've seen this proved time and time again. Its worth a try anyway, I know I would.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I'm also sorry to her of your misfortune. In our family we have a mature cat. We don't know its age as we found it. I would hate to see "Kitty" die soon as she stills has great fun with all of us. It's great to hold on to the memories of even your pets as they're important as a relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm still in bits about it. I had thought bringing him home for the couple of days would make it easier, but it didn't. Its harder to see him here, so clearly sick and stuff... but then, I couldn't have him put down yesterday... my family wanted to say goodbye to him.

junkyard - I did consider getting a second opinion, God, I considered everything. The vet said he wouldn't need to be put to sleep if we kept him indoors 100% of the time, but thats not fair on the cat as he likes to sit outside (he doesn't wander particularly far, but he does enjoy running around in the grass, chasing leaves etc... he's still very kitten-esque). When I came home, I did a lot of reading online about FeLV, and, to be honest, it wouldn't be fair on him to keep him alive. The virus essentially means that he is severely anaemic, and he isn't able to fight off infection, so... he would need to be heavily medicated for the rest of his time, he would be weak, would need to be on a special diet.. basically, not himself. Being a little selfish here too... I have an almost 7 month old daughter, and she's time consuming enough as it is... when she starts to crawl, toddle, walk etc... she'll be much harder to keep tabs on and I can imagine her bothering the cat (she's already fascinated by him).

No.. the decision is made, but it was hard, so hard.

Sorry, just to edit - he was indeed vaccinated against FeLV, but unfortunately, he was one of the unlucky ones. He was due to have boosters at the end of September.

I'll go now as I've only got hours left with him at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Embee, I'm welling up at your post! That is so sad...
    I've only ever had to have a cat put to sleep once - ten years ago. I was in absolute bits, but he was seriously ill and we had tried everything. He was nearly seven, which didn't seem old enough. Eighteen months is just horrible - Tisky's not much more than a kitten.
    Your story totally reminds me of what happened to Prince, a cat I had nine years ago (got him after the other fella was put to sleep). He was the most amazing cat! A Russian blue with white patches - staggeringly beautiful. And, just like Tisky, he was so friendly and affectionate and never fought other cats. Anyway, one evening when I came in, Prince was walking alongside me. As I turned the corner to the side of the house, I was taken aback by this giant, freaky, feral mother****er of a cat hissing and spitting. Prince just turned on his heels and fled. He hid on the garage roof for ages. Few months later, Prince was missing. My dad said he had seen that other nasty cat around. After a week, I found Prince's body in a corner of the garden. He was only the same age as Tisky. Don't know how that cat could have killed him, but it seems a coincidence that he was around when Prince died. Plus, the time I saw Prince run in fright from him, it was clear from his reaction that they had encountered each other before and that other cat probably hurt him.
    I still think about Prince often. And it took me ages to get over him.
    You're so right. Non-neutered tom cats can be extremely aggressive and cruel. They even eat kittens. I know it's difficult for men especially to have a male pet given the snip, but it's a necessary evil - it means less unwanted kittens and cats and less damage like the above. Once it's done early enough, he won't know what he's missing (I'd presume anyway - I suppose I'm no expert).
    Embee, I don't blame you for being livid at those careless and irresponsible people. As for the awful heartbreak you face, I know it's going to be so hard, but it'll be ok. And, after a while, you can give another lovely kitten (or maybe more than one) a good home.

Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Sorry to hear of your loss embee :(
    FeLV is so rampant in this country, I had my first cat (sovvie) who had it when I took her in (she lasted 5 years without too many problems, but she was an indoor cat).
    Hate to hear about your neighbours being so stupid.
    Yet another case that shows that all cats should be indoor cats.

B :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Thank you Frank and Dudess,

Dudess - you mentioned in time getting another cat... to be honest, I just can't. I get too attached, and it is breaking my heart looking at him tonight, knowing that tomorrow.... bah.

I live in an estate, and my sister pointed out that it might be worth going to see the Residents Association regarding people in the estate keeping more control over their pets, and perhaps to mention at the next RA meeting that our cat has had to be destroyed over what is essentially someone elses fault, for not neutering their cat.

In a way, I can't blame the big bad tom who comes around causing trouble. Its not his fault. I blame his owners and I absolutely intend hunting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

sorry for your trouble..i had to have my deares friend put down last november,she was a min pin ,norabatty she was 8-9 years old,i still miss her and keep asking myself was i right to do it,to late now will never know the answer,will never replace her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

So sorry to hear about Tisky embee :(
    It will get easier with time, but until then all you can do is mourn him in whatever way is necessary for you and take comfort in all the happy memories you have of him. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

I'm so sorry, Embee. We had lots of cats growing up and losing them is never, ever easy. I'l be thinking of you and your cat today, wishing you both good memories and peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

embee wrote:
    Dudess - you mentioned in time getting another cat... to be honest, I just can't.

Oh please don't say that, Embee! Animals need owners like you! When my lovely black cat, Fergus (:D don't ask!) was put down in March '96, I swore I'd never get a cat again. The following June, my friend's cat had kittens, and I was thrilled to be able to take two of them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

poor kitty, I'm really sorry and I have absolutly no doubt if there was anything you could do you would do it! You gave her a good home and looked after her very well don't forget that.
    Cat influenza is rampant and is highly contagious and it may be that Tisky had it since she was a kitten, It may not be the tom that passed it to her. The reason I say this is some cats have flu for years and manage, but it eventually will end their lives. She is so young its possible she has it quite a long time.

The best thing you can do for her is put her to sleep and end her suffering as she is totally miserable now. She has had love and care and now she must move on as you will too. Holding on only makes her suffer longer.

I know you love her and will miss her. but, you CAN offer a new wonderful life to another kitten maybe to one who is in a shelter or at risk of being put down, you don't want to hear it now but you have sooooo much to offer...She was So LUCKY TO HAVE YOU AND YOU'RE LOVE!!!
    good luck to you and Tisky
    all the best
    artieanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

embee wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post here as I'm in bits. My 18 month old cat Tisky has gone downhill health-wise in the last month or so. At first, he seemed just a bit out of sorts, like he didn't want any human company (ordinarily he is a real people cat, loves attention and cuddles). Gradually though, he has lost a lot of weight (we gave him a worming treatment which didn't work) and his voice is gone (can't miaow).

I brought him to the vet today anyways... news was not good. The vet took a blood sample and did some tests - it turns out that Tisky has FeLV, which is essentially a fatal virus and highly contagious to other cats. We have no other feasible option now than to put him to sleep, and I am distraught. The vet said that I didn't have to do it there and then, as Tisky isn't in any pain as such, rather the vet said that he just feels very fluish and run down. We've taken him home to spend a couple of evenings with him, but I just can't handle the idea of bringing him down there on Friday... it breaks my heart.

What REALLY makes me angry is this. Someone in the neighbourhood owns a HUGE tomcat, who for the past month has started to come to our garden and terrorise our poor cat (Tisky is a really passive cat, not into other cats at all, always runs away when he sees another cat), but this other cat comes down and will start chasing Tisky and one more than one occasion has caught him and bitten him. I mentioned this to the vet today - he said its highly likely this tomcat is the carrier and has passed this onto my lovely little cat. Also, he said that the reason he's probably so aggressive is that he hasn't been neutered, and thats why this other tom acts with such aggression towards other cats. I'm so, SO angry at people who are so irresponsible as to not have their animals neutered.. my cat was okay until this other cat appeared on the scene, and now his life is cut short at 18 months....

The worst of it is, I had a cat previous to Tisky. Her name was Poosh and she was put down in 2004... that in itself was hard to deal with, but she died of complications due to her advancing age... she was 10 (not ancient for a cat, but not "young" like Tisky). This is much, MUCH harder to deal with...

I'm sorry for the ramble, I'm just so upset and so ANGRY at people who take on to have a pet without thinking of the conseqeunces.

I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there are plenty animal owners out there who haven´t got the faintest idea what responsibilities come along with owning a pet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement