Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a Ti4600 be a good buy at E50 for recent games?

Options
  • 31-08-2006 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Would it handle:
    Flatout2
    Halflife2
    Nolf2
    Toca race driver
    driver3

Whats a decent gfx card i could look out for 2nd hand?

Are pci cards better than agp these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Geforce 4600ti up until very recently and it managed Half-life 2 and Counterstrike source pretty well. I had the graphic settings on low - Medium, just to get the best frame rate possible and if this isnt an issue for you, then yeah, the card would do fine.

I honestly cant speak on any of the other games as I have never tried any of them with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I don't think so.

Not at any great fps anyway.

PCI-E > AGP > PCI [is it not almost gone?]

You can prolly pick up a cheap ati 96/97/9800 online or even in the Adverts.ie section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for the extra fast advice.
    Would this be a better buy, Gainward Nvidia geforce 6600gt 256mb card 2.0ns. What would ye price this at approx being 2nd hand.

Its the adverts where im looking by the way. i need cpu/mobo/ram/decent gfx card, trying to get bits that are all compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the 6600GT would hammer the ti4600. The 4600 was a good card in its day, but its about two generations ago. 35-40 is the most I would pay for one. Also the ti series doesnt support DX9 which may affect the quality, performance or even the ability to play certain games.

Expect to pay about €100 or so for a 6600GT. Some have gone as cheap as €75 though which is a bargain. Have a search on adverts to see what prices thay have gone for in the past.

Also worth considering is the ATI 9800pro and 9800XT series. I picked up a 9800pro a while back for €45, but expect to pay up to €60 for one. Great cards, the XT is a slighly more powerful version.

Also bear in mind that graphics cards like this have considerable power requirements, so if your PSU is crappy or already loaded up with drives, you "may" have an issue. Suck it and see, but depending on what you have, dont be too surprised if you have to get a beefier PSU.

PCI cards are not and never will be a quick as AGP. PCI-E aka PCI express however is a much more modern standard that supports graphics cards and offers higher bandwidth over AGP. It only appears on more modern boards though, such as AM2, S939 & S775.

Long story short, your graphics card really depends on the rest of your rig.

Have you picked out the other bits? What is your total budget for this new system?

[edit]

Why not just buy a complete PC off adverts, theres plenty of capable systems going at good money [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had a Ti4600 about 3 years ago in my old Athlon XP 1800+ system. It was a decent card in its day and played the likes of Unreal Tournament 2003 fine, but I definately would not use one for today's games. A 6600GT will probably give you the best bang-for-buck ratio. I currently have a PCI-E 6800GT which is a bit faster and has 256MB of RAM and it still eats up anything I throw at it today, but it is in an Athlon 64 3200+ system with lots of ram. Bought it for €250 from boards here about a year ago. You'd get one far cheaper now, since the 7xxx series cards are widely available and relatively affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

sell ya my ti4800 (proper - not the 'SE') for 40 bills if u wanted it pm and i'll set up an advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

would definitely recommend the 6600GT, i've had mine for the best part of a year now and it's still going strong with recent games

The 6600GT i was looking at is 1 of them PCI Express cards, so i need a certain motherboard that will take it, yeah? Is yours agp or pci Tman?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

6600GT's are (were at least?) available in AGP form too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mine is an AGP one

don't confuse pci with pci express btw, they are 2 completely different kettles of lobsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

7300GT is better than 6600GT, you can pick one up for €100 (Overclockers have a DDR3 model for €88 -- last one)

Mind you that's only for PCI-Express (PCI-e) motherboards -- AGP users are screwed.

Should this be moved to Tech-> Computers / Technology?

Should this be moved to Tech-> Computers / Technology?
    Nah, thread is dead at this stage, thanks for the replies.
    I actually bought a Pci Express X800 256mb card off a friend. It`ll do till i get cash for a more powerfull 1.

Advertisement