Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is the bearing gone?

• 31-08-2006 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Serious whirring noise coming from the back wheels. A few people reckon the bearings are worn. I think there right.

Is this dangerous? What kind of bill should I expect to face for this? Its a 94 sunny.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Drum brakes ? If so, one of the shoes might have slipped, or is just plain worn. Probably about EUR80 to have them replaced (or 1/2 that if you DIY it)

Disc brakes ? might be a stone caught in the guard at the back of the disc, and is rubbing the disc (one lad I know thought his differential was broken due to a really bad noise + a graunchy feeling from one rear wheel - it turned out to be a stone). Price to fix = free :D

I don't know how to diagnose a failed bearing, but you could always take the wheel off and have a look-see there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Jack the back wheels up and spin them if the noise is still there its the wheel bearing.

Check the condition the brake shoes, or pads may need replacing.

I thought I had the same problem till I changed the rear tyres noise went away.

Advertisement