Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Novogo GPS Unit - Navteq Map Query

• 31-08-2006 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just have a query about the map versions on GPS systems. Is there any universal versioning system or do the map companies or GPS manufacturers use their own? I bought a Novogo V30 from pixmania. Very happy with it. It says the maps are Navteq but I can't seem to find any info on versions available or new versions coming on-stream. The Novogo site says to check novogo.com for updates, but there's no mention of updates. I've just bought it, and I've noticed that the M50 piece out to Bray is not charted on the map. That's been there over a year now, I was a bit surprised. Can anyone help on above queries?

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

Hey,

Im not familiar with the novogo brand myself but i do have a few gps systems, i bought the garmin products and find no problems but yes to answer your question as much as i can....gps manufacturers buy their maps from either navteq or teleatlas....navteq being the only company giving much coverage of Ireland, navteq have announced in feb/march that they now have 100% coverage in Ireland, before this it was just down to regional roads outside the major cities, usually gps companies release a new version of mapping at the sametime each year (for a fee of course :), eg for garmin its in early september...so while other companies like route 66 are using 100% coverage on their systems right now...people with gamin still have the old maps.....im thinking that maybe you have the old system of mapping (the best way to know is see if you have any roads below the regional roads, like somewhere in the culchie side :) and are due an update from novogo soon....i also looked at that site and think the best way to really know is to just email novogo and ask when the latest map is available and are you entitled to a free update

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks for that. I'll contact them and see what they say.

Cheers,

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cyberbob1

Hi, I'm also a Novogo user. Having spoken to Novogo, the map updates for the V30 will be posted to their website in October.:)

The maps are supplied by navteq, but no updates are available via navteq. There are also a couple of things which you may well have discovered - the speed limit warning does not display:mad: This is not a software fault, the supplied UK map provided does not support this feature. If you can get hold of a copy of the pan europe map, this fixes this issue as the UK map is an extra 10Mb bigger. There are a couple of US suppliers who sell these maps for $119 plus postage at around $30.

Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

cyberbob1 wrote:
    Hi, I'm also a Novogo user. Having spoken to Novogo, the map updates for the V30 will be posted to their website in October.:)

The maps are supplied by navteq, but no updates are available via navteq. There are also a couple of things which you may well have discovered - the speed limit warning does not display:mad: This is not a software fault, the supplied UK map provided does not support this feature. If you can get hold of a copy of the pan europe map, this fixes this issue as the UK map is an extra 10Mb bigger. There are a couple of US suppliers who sell these maps for $119 plus postage at around $30.

Hope this helps:)

That's great news, thanks! Will the updates on the novogo site be free or charged for? Also, do you have details for the US suppliers of maps?

Cheers,

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cyberbob1

Dc,

As far as I'm aware the map updates are free. However, to get the speed warnings displayed, you will need an SD/CFII card with a capacity of more than 256Mb, and for the pan europe map you will need a 2Mb card:) . The ADATA type is approved by novogo and is available for around £18.99 on ebay.

Maps are available from www.buygpsnow.com, you will need a Pay Pal account to make the purchases though:eek: . Visa cards are accepted, but you need to supply a password for the card:confused: ? I think that this is a US thing, and definately not available to UK card holders, believe me I've tried!

If you try to set up a Pay Pal account, use your current account, the Visa card option takes weeks to verify, and buyGPSnow require a verified Pay Pal account!:mad:

Hope this helps! If not you can always email me howittdst@aol.com

Bob

• Advertisement
Advertisement