Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder cup tickets for councillors...

Options
  • 31-08-2006 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

A number of councillors in dublin constituencies have been offered tickets for the Ryder cup by a 'developer' (unnamed), acccording to the news this morning. The vast majority interviewed seemd to perceive no conflict of interest, moral, ethical or otherwise, between their political positions/responsibilities and accepting corporate jollies from a developer. Is this another indication of the amoral, wink-and-a-nod universe of Irish politics (I cannnot for example, imagine a similar scenario occuring in the UK without a huge outcry) or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Yes I agree, especially when it comes to development, planning permission and rezoning etc. The councillors may think theres no conflict of interest here, but even at a subconcious level their being positivly influenced by these developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well actually one did reject his ryder ticket,he kept up a pretense though and asked who else was going and got a list of other councillors names to boot. It was in the Echo yesterday "Shane O' Connor" Sinn Fein councillor for Clondalkin area.

He was on Newstalk also this morning,one of the councillors wifes said " You would be an ejjit not to go" She had some connection with the tourism and said it would be a good time to promote golf etc.

It said on radio this morning she was not going to go on air and comment but she did say "She returned the tickets to developer".

Good man Shane O' Connor....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bik_ireland

Yes.
    If they can't give the old brown envelope - sure a Ryder Cup ticket is worth a fortune - and not really as traceable as cash .. fair play to Mr O'Connor
    N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

well in the echo (the tallaght one , who broke the story i think) mary? ardagh (i know for certain the last names right!) the FF councillor who took the tickets from melony homes (no i never heard of em either) decided in hindsight with all the furoror over the bribe ,i mean gift , that its best not to go and she's handed back the ticket. i bet she really hates that guy form sinn fein who blew the whistle on this. in fact in one of the other papers a fellow councillor decried him for being involved in bank roberies, murders, extortion and various criminality. of course he did then have to say he was talking about the IRA not the councillor in question. but hey theyre politicians, no one said there good at getting their facts right (or happy at giving back a nice little goldmine either, anyone know what the going price is for a ryder cup ticket nowadays? :D )

Advertisement