Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling bathroom floor

Options
  • 31-08-2006 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm about to start tiling the ensuite bathroom in my new house and am wondering if I need to treat the walls + floors before I do it. The walls appear to be fine, are nice and level so I presume/hope I wouldn't need to do anything to them ?

The floor is MDF sheeting as far as I can work out, can I tile direct directly onto this or should I treat it with something or put down something else on it first ?

Cheers,
    PK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Patrick_K

Just finished our ensuite in our new house (with the help from this board) The floor was t&g so I applied ply first, I think you should be ok with MDF. However before I started tiling I applied an acrylic and bonding agent, got this free with the tiles, its a milky liquid that you just lash on the walls and floor and help waterproof and bond the tiles. I put on three coats with a sponge.

If the walls are painted then I would first score the walls and then put the bonding agent on after.

Also spend some time to work out where the tiles are going to go, dont want to be left with a small cut at the top. I went round the shower tray and caulked to make sure it was well set and watreproof. I have also heard that you should put something heavy in the shower tray so that the tiles are flush with the tray, because there may be movement when you step into the shower.

Hope this helps

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Good advice, thanks Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

yeah put a few coats of Polybond on the floor, mix it strong, and get a roller to apply it, I (well my dad) put about three coats down.
    For the floor adhesive we used a Flexible Rapidset Adhesive.

Edit: like Gary said spend some time working out how to put the tiles down, you should find the centre of the room and start from there, doing this will leave you with equal sized tiles at each end, if you can remove the Toilet and hand basin, this will make laying the tiles easier, as you will have less cuts to do. when buying the tiles allow for about 10% wastage.

Advertisement