Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane: I've apologised to Man Utd boss Ferguson

• 31-08-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

tribalfooball.com - August 29, 2006

New Sunderland boss Roy Keane has apologised to Sir Alex Ferguson for his behaviour in the final days of his Manchester United career.
    He said: "Yes, I've apologised. I spoke to Sir Alex. He wished me good luck and said I'd need it.

"I always enjoyed the way he backed the players, defended them and looked after them. Maybe I crossed that white line towards the end at United and was rightly punished for it."

Keane's United days ended acrimoniously when he blasted team-mates on the club's TV channel and Fergie banned the show from going on air.

But the pair have made up and Keane added: "In the last year or two, what got me in trouble at United was getting the coach's or manager's head on me when really I shouldn't.

"Sometimes I was looking at the bigger picture when I really shouldn't have been.

"I was fortunate to play for him and I'm sure I can pick up the phone any time and he will lend me a few players."

The former United and Irish skipper, 35, admitted he would have to modify his style as a boss.

He said: "There's no doubt I have, over the years, crossed that white line. It's probably cost me a lot, the World Cup in 2002, and you could say my United career.

"I've made mistakes but I will be looking to get the balance right and hopefully that comes with experience when you get older and wiser."

Just for a break from the transfer specualion today here is an interesting article all be it from Tribalfootball but at least there are quotes. I hate to bring up Saipan again but Keano admits he crossed the line in 2002.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

The Muppet wrote:
    Just for a break from the transfer specualion today here is an interesting article all be it from Tribalfootball but at least there are quotes. I hate to bring up Saipan again but Keano admits he crossed the line in 2002.

he admitted he was wrong for walking out but still says he doesnt regret it :D

keane is a complex character to say the least. IMO, he knows he let the country down and apologises for that, but still believes he was right for having a go at mc carthy.

i think people are getting the wrong message here, they think he's taking all the blame over saipan, far from it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

smemon wrote:
    he admitted he was wrong for walking out but still says he doesnt regret it :D

keane is a complex character to say the least. IMO, he knows he let the country down and apologises for that, but still believes he was right for having a go at mc carthy.

i think people are getting the wrong message here, they think he's taking all the blame over saipan, far from it imo.

I agree with you except for the "walked out" bit. Most people accept that that there was blame on both sides in Saipan , Keano is accepting his part of the blame and apologising for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

ziggy67 wrote:
    Keane, McCarthy & the FAI were all in the wrong over Saipan.

Agreed. It was in the past. Leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Indeed - This topic has been done to death. It's nice that Keane apologised for his part in it but I think most rationale people are happy that there is fault everywhere.

I don't see that discussion will produce any new insight but I do predict it would produce quite a few bans.

Closed.

• Advertisement

Right, I don't see one post by any user on this thread refer to the title or the topic of the thread, which is Keane apologising to Ferguson.

I'm reopening for discussion of this topic.

Off topic posts will be deleted and will see the thread closed.

Fair enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Roy Keane apoligised to Alex ferguson. and then bought liam miller.

psi wrote:
    Right, I don't see one post by any user on this thread refer to the title or the topic of the thread, which is Keane apologising to Ferguson.

I'm reopening for discussion of this topic.

Off topic posts will be deleted and will see the thread closed.

Fair enough?

Where is the rest of the this post gone, What is it with people making posts and then editing out a load of comments they have made. , there should be something in the charter about that.

Anyway back on topic, thanks for reopening the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I wonder how that conversation went?

*RING* *RING*

*RING* *RING*

ALex: cough cough... hello

Roy: ah hello Alex, its Roy

Alex: oh Roy, how's tricks

Roy: Not too bad boy, not too bad. How are you keeping?

Alex: I'm on the golf course with Carlos.

Roy: You picked a fine day for it boy.

Alex: Why did you call Roy?

Roy: I just wanted to say I'm sorry Alex. It was wrong of me. Can I buy Liam Miller please?

The Muppet wrote:
    Where is the rest of the this post gone, What is it with people making posts and then editing out a load of comments they have made. , there should be something in the charter about that.

You're mistaking this with another post in another thread. I did not edit my post here. Keep up :p
    Anyway back on topic, thanks for reopening the thread.

Yes, on topic. You're welcome.

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    You're mistaking this with another post in another thread. I did not edit my post here. Keep up :p.

Apologies ,You must make allowances for us old tiimers. I'm not sure your new policy of ensuring threads stick rigidly to topic is workable . I look forward to seeing how that will pan out. I fear that will keep you very busy. :p back

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I wonder how that conversation went?

*RING* *RING*

*RING* *RING*

ALex: cough cough... hello

Roy: ah hello Alex, its Roy

Alex: oh Roy, how's tricks

Roy: Not too bad boy, not too bad. How are you keeping?

Alex: I'm on the golf course with Carlos.

Roy: You picked a fine day for it boy.

Alex: Why did you call Roy?

Roy: I just wanted to say I'm sorry Alex. It was wrong of me. Can I buy Liam Miller please?

Alex: Ah welcom back into the fold Roy, You can have Miller for free.

Roy: Thanks Gaffer , You wouldn't have Mick Mc Carthys number by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sorry but the title doesn't dictate the topic imo its the first post and that first post contains an article where Roy talks about his past including the world cup in 2002. So why can't we discuss it???

Anyway I'm glad Roy has matured and saw how he made mistakes in the past and realised what those mistakes cost him. I take his quote
    There's no doubt I have, over the years, crossed that white line. It's probably cost me a lot, the World Cup in 2002
    to mean he realises he crossed the line in Saipan and it cost him.

Advertisement