Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy FIREBOARD?

Options
  • 31-08-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I have a window from my Kitchen to my side passage. My Side passage is now covered in as part of an extension so the window is of no use and I want to cover over window with plasterboard. However I consider it somewhat of a fire risk and so I want to fit fireboard behind the plasterboard.

If I had a fire in my garage or my utility room (both of which are accessed thru the side passage) OR more importantly if my neighbour had a fire in her house (our side passages share a flat roof) the path of least resistance for that fire in to my kitchen and therefore the rest of my house is that window.

Anyone know where I can buy fireboard, what thickness it comes in and how much I can expect to pay for it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you think that it is that much of a fire hazard why not take out the window & brick it up?

If you are referring to fire/heat-resistant plasterboard - any builders' merchant should stock it. It generally comes in 12.5mm & 15mm thicknesses.

More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The gypsum one thaty hill billy linked to are the most common, should pick them up eaaily. I recommmend getting "fireline duplex" board. Its the same as regular fireline board, but also has a vapour control backing, that is useful as the kitchen will have higher levels moisture in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

thanks guys

Advertisement