Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great View from Site but Dump near by ?

Options
  • 31-08-2006 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Found a great site but there is a Dump near by, not sure how far at least 1/2 mile. Should i just forget about it or what do you reckon ? How far is ok 1/2 mile, 3/4 mile, 4 miles ??:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Most modern tip heads are not really a major problem anymore.
    If it is well run it will have little or no odour. Also, bird nets will prevent to many birds occupying the area and srpeading around rubbish.
    My parents live about 1 mile (as the crow flies) from a tip head (actually it has changed to a collection facility in recent years) and they never got a smell, even when it was a dump.

The only concern I would have is if your site is on the designated route the trucks take to and from the dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

What about rats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

How old is the dump.

Modern "waste recycling facilities" are well designed but this was not the case with the older dumps.

The primary thing that you'd need to look out for would be leechate in the groundwater. This is basically the pus that comes off decaying organic matter, battery acid, fats, grease, oils etc. If you were planning on sinking a well to obtain water, you definitely wouldn't want this muck getting into your tap water. Modern facilities must have impermeable membranes and sumps in them to remove the leechate for tretament and to prevent leechate getting into the watertable.

Older dumps wouldn't have them and therefore you would be in trouble.

Its a personal choice, but what would be the long term prospect of selling on a house built in close proximity to a dump. I turned down some beautiful (and affordable) houses in north Kildare when I discovered that Bord na Mona had planning permission to build a dump on their land which would be 2 miles from the houses I was looking at. At least one of these houses is still on th emarket 2 years after I looked at it. There will always be a stigma about living near a dump no matter how well its run.

Your choice in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Remember the dump will close down eventually.

Secondly not every one wants to live near or view a dump. Site should be purchased for less.

Advertisement