Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBnet

• 31-08-2006 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

Eircom, Irish Broadband and Digiweb are all unable to provide me with a service just outside limerick city.

I found this adare based company www.bbnet.ie. Anyone have experience of these guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Are you very far outside the city ? Watty managed to get digiweb working grand , he is a good bit out afaik. I know someone with BBNet , says they are ok, but soon another company will be covering more areas ,they offer the same thing but free installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dj_collinator

I dont live that far outside Limerick- about 10 minutes drive to city centre. I live in Meelick, near cratloe if you know where that is. What's the name of that company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

bushy... wrote:
    ...but soon another company will be covering more areas ,they offer the same thing but free installation.

Anyone have any idea if this is going to happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

are westnet.ie out there ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

denismac wrote:
    Anyone have any idea if this is going to happen?

pm sent

jbkenn

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sponge Bob wrote:
    are westnet.ie out there ???
    We're not operating in the midwest anymore, we've transferred our operation there to WTS Broadband and are focusing on the West region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some parts at least of BB net are two way satellite fed. Certinally around Croom / Ballingarry. They seem expensive for a relatively slow service.

I would think you can't get Digiweb as far as Adare or Croom with NORMAL equipment. Castletroy to Caherdavin to Moyross to Raheen to Mungret to Patrickswell should all be covered. The best solution is to order online. Or possibly phone. They will know if you can get it if you have clear address. If you know your exact grid ref or Lat/long if you have a vague country address probabily help.

If you can see the Woodcock hill RTE mast and less than 12km (or 14km in some places), then you can get Digiweb Metro in Limerick. Some bits of Meelick might be too close under the hill to see the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reademandweep

Watty,
    BBnet don't use satellite in their network ANYWHERE. Never have and never will. 39/mth for 1mb up and down with 199 install is about the going rate for smaller broadband providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

I'm in Athlacca, is there anyone nearby who has been able to get this BBNet service? I have contacted them, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Also, does anyone know much about permanet(.ie)? I know someone who got them in Kerry, at the moment their coverage doesn't come near us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

BB Net are fixed wireless they just put a receiver on your roof I've been with them for over 6 months now and they're fine - I have a 1mb connection with 10gb download limit for €39 a month installation is about €250 if I recall and I haven't had any major issues with them speed is pretty consistent goes down every now and again but it's back up pretty quickly normally.Beats the crap out of dial up any day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andreslong

The only bb provider in my area is BBnet and I was wondering if you can buy the installation equipment yourself and save a couple of Euro.
    What would I need?
    Does anybody have any experience doing something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

andreslong wrote:
    The only bb provider in my area is BBnet and I was wondering if you can buy the installation equipment yourself and save a couple of Euro.
    What would I need?

Was looking into this for friends before and as far as I know around the 200 quid mark is actually what its costing most of the wireless crowds for the equipment (of course that probably depends on equipment and so on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

andreslong wrote:
    What would I need?

I know someone who BBnet connected up , he already had is own equipment bought and installed . They probably wouldnt have connected him if it was a butchered router or something though ( can cause problems for other clients).They may not be keen on using your own stuff , best to give them a call.
    I know Westlink do free installs but they are not up around there afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Try Ice Broadband. They have a new Canopy Base Station on top of the new Riverpoint Building.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coyote1

They reciently upgraded the speed and have a coverage map on the
    site now.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I'm in Athlacca, is there anyone nearby who has been able to get this BBNet service? I have contacted them, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Also, does anyone know much about permanet(.ie)? I know someone who got them in Kerry, at the moment their coverage doesn't come near us.

Permanet are OK
    Speeds arnt great quite expinseve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Athlacca South

I am from Athlacca too, and i contacted BBnet by phone two years ago and by email last year and again this year, and so far to date i have gotten no reply from them. I got broadband from o2 and its great. Its there any time i want it, it never fails and the download speed is really quick. I hope this is of help:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement