Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

security & wireless connection problem

• 31-08-2006 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have a wireless network in the house.I recently switched from Eircom to BT.My desktop is connected to the netopia 3347wg and I had two laptops connecting wirelessly.I bought a new HP laptop and it will not connect wirelessly.I have discovered that if I turn off the security(wep manual) everything connects fine.Since I started changing things the other laptops have developed the same problem.Obviously I don't want to leave security off.I have tried the other security options but with no success.From looking at other threads I see others have had similar problems and I notice HP laptops mentioned in quite a few of these.If anyone has a solution I would be delighted to hear from them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I bought a new HP laptop and it will not connect wirelessly.I have discovered that if I turn off the security(wep manual) everything connects fine.
    Have you double and triple checked the WEP key to ensure that its entered correctly into the laptops wireless config?
    Since I started changing things
    Changing things where? On the router? On the laptops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭seanogal

I reset the modem, manually entered ip addresses,reset everything from the command line and basically tried every thing I could find to get connected.The wep key must be ok because it isn't asking for that each time.Obviously I had to enter it at first.I am connecting to the network but cannot get web pages.
    On the HP laotop - when I open wireless network connection page it says not connected but I have full green bars and the disconnect button is showing in the bottom right corner. The message is "you are currently connected to this network" With wep off and when able to browse it still says "not connected".I am pretty confused by it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

seanogal wrote:
    I have a wireless network in the house.I recently switched from Eircom to BT.My desktop is connected to the netopia 3347wg and I had two laptops connecting wirelessly.I bought a new HP laptop and it will not connect wirelessly.I have discovered that if I turn off the security(wep manual) everything connects fine.Since I started changing things the other laptops have developed the same problem.Obviously I don't want to leave security off.I have tried the other security options but with no success.From looking at other threads I see others have had similar problems and I notice HP laptops mentioned in quite a few of these.If anyone has a solution I would be delighted to hear from them.
    First off, stop using WEP. Use WPA. Besides being more secure, it also had the benefit of an extra few years in the development process, so it's interoperability is much, much better. The netopia 3347wg definitely supports WPA-PSK, and so will the new HP laptop. Unless the other laptops are pretty old, they shoud too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭seanogal

Foxwood wrote:
    First off, stop using WEP. Use WPA. Besides being more secure, it also had the benefit of an extra few years in the development process, so it's interoperability is much, much better. The netopia 3347wg definitely supports WPA-PSK, and so will the new HP laptop. Unless the other laptops are pretty old, they shoud too.

Did as you suggested and am now sorted.I tried that before but must have made mistake along the way.
    Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement