Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Simulator X Trial

Options
  • 31-08-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Microsoft certainly surprised me with this. They released a trial version of their upcoming FSX

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorx/downloads.html 636MB
    Flight Simulator X Trial Version

The Flight Simulator X trial version includes two airports, three missions, and three different aircraft. All of the missions take place at St. Maarten in the Caribbean.

Missions:

Getting Started (Novice)
    Plane: de Havilland Beaver DHC2
    Details: Geared towards first time flyers, this step-by-step tutorial mission shows you how to get off the ground and up in the air so you can explore the ocean and island of St. Maarten. Of special note is the fact that the Beaver is a float plane so you won't have any runways to worry about. You'll be taking off and landing in the ocean.

Flour Power
    Plane: AirCreation Trike Ultralight
    Details: This mission has you behind the controls of an ultralight, a very easy to fly glider. The object of the mission is to drop sacks of flour attached to your ultralight onto various objects and targets scattered throughout the area surrounding St. Maarten. You'll be scored on both speed and accuracy. Try not to drop any flour on spectators or dolphins, as you'll be assessed a time penalty.

Caribbean Landing
    Plane: Bombardier CRJ700
    Details: The most challenging of the three included in the trial version, this mission will essentially be a take-off and landing of a Bombardier CRJ700 in a technically challenging airport. You'll need to manage air traffic chatter and surrounding AI planes efficiently to succeed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Has anyone used the full version of FSX yet? I'm thinking of buying it for myself for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's not too bad, if you're into that sort of thing. Some of the missions they give you can be damn hard (it's remarkably hard taking off in the amazon!) and the Red Bull planes are cool. And it brought a little tear to my eye when I was taking off from Dublin Airport and could see the two red and white chimneys of Dublin Bay in the distance (and then ploughing into them, because a 737 isn't as maneuverable as the redbull planes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i was working on it for a week or two doing localisation type stuff, it's pretty damn good if you're into flight sims...

one of the coolest things is that it syncs up with a global weather server to give you the actual weather conditions in real time updated every 15 minutes...

lots of cool little feaures like that...

humanji wrote:
    It's not too bad, if you're into that sort of thing. Some of the missions they give you can be damn hard (it's remarkably hard taking off in the amazon!) and the Red Bull planes are cool. And it brought a little tear to my eye when I was taking off from Dublin Airport and could see the two red and white chimneys of Dublin Bay in the distance (and then ploughing into them, because a 737 isn't as maneuverable as the redbull planes!)

Yeah, I remember trying to fly between them in FS 2004!

I was once in a REAL Aer Lingus 737 simulator. I knew an engineer out there and he took my Dad, Brother and I on a "flight" from Dublin to Paris. I remember flying low over the Ballymun flats and then out over the port, past the Poolbeg chimneys... ahh the memories :rolleyes:

i was working on it for a week or two doing localisation type stuff, it's pretty damn good if you're into flight sims...

one of the coolest things is that it syncs up with a global weather server to give you the actual weather conditions in real time updated every 15 minutes...

lots of cool little feaures like that...

That does sound very cool! It was already a feature in 2004, but I'd say it's a lot fancier in this new release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I have 2004 and never use it. I always want to get into flight sim but never do and always end up going for the military sims. Maybe the missions in FSX will make the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You can also make your own missions (not sure yet, haven't tried it so far) and there's loads of user made add-ons being made all the time.

Another funny little feature is that you can play online, with someone else being your co-pilot, or someone even being an airtraffic controller (although I don't see it being too much fun for that person unless they're really mean b*stards who just want to make people crash! :D ).

Advertisement