Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As cheap as it bloody gets...

Options
  • 31-08-2006 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

I've a very mid-range dell system (Dell Precision something or other, PIV) with a 32mb AGP card in it at the moment. AFAIK the mobo supports AGP x4.

Which would be the best of a bad lot on this page of AGP cards from Komplett. I'm not looking to spend more than 60/80 euro, it's just a stopgap measure to keep me going for a while on moderate gaming and making things a bit more nippy in general - They seem to be mainly different flavours of Club 3D Cards at around the same price range but I haven't a rashers what the difference is.
    In terms of feature set, I only have a CRT monitor and can't see any huge need for a TV-Out.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10413

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are you current specs? Would need to know that before recommending a suitable card...

Also, what sort of games do you aspire to play?

I'd imagine any machine with an original 32mb AGP card is going to be fairly weak and as such useless for modern gaming, unless it was a business machine which for obvious reasons always come with poor gfx cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

As far as I can remember it's a Dell Precision 340. It was a the highest spec'd of DELLs mid-range workstation line a few years back, came with an absolutely brutal graphics card and there's an S3 something or other in it now. It's got something along the lines of a PIV 1.9ghz processor. The biggest let down is RAM - the mobo uses that horribly expensive RDRAM so I've only 256mb in it at the moment - otherwise it's not a bad little machine.

I don't aspire to play the most modern of games - a reasonable frame rate in slightly older games is all I ask for :) The main reason I'm getting it is for Graphics intensive music applications and the like, but gaming is still a big priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Radeon 9600 FTW -- see if you can find a 2nd-hand one though (might get lucky & get a 2nd-hand Pro or XT for the same price)
    Hell, bid €30 +P&P, how about a modded 9500? (9500 > 9600)
    Or bid on a full-blown 9700Pro.

Advertisement