Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - monitored alarm systems

• 31-08-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

Been visiting the site for a while now, excellent discussion board!! Have checked the search option but have been unable to find anything concerning the installation of broadband while having a monitored alarm in place.

Looking to get broadband from either imagine or BT, decided to take the plunge with BT and the new package called" BT Broadband & Total Talk".( I know,I know the billing issues!!)

When requesting an application form I asked the sales support person about my monitored alarm and what I need to do to get around this as I want to keep the monitoring in place. He said to contact my alarm co ( those who installed it) and they would be able to sort it out without too much hassle. That seemed reasonable to me, but when I received the application form it states the following "If you have a monitored alarm we will not be able to offer this service at this time"

Can anybody enlighten me as to what their experiences have been when installing broadband with a monitored alarm?

I want to be able to go back to BT knowing the facts if possible. Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help in advance.

paflairl:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Have you read existing threads

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054940225

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054912785

I recently got 1Mb DSL. I have a 10 year old Phonewatch system and everything seems to work fine. I said I didn't have an alarm when applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Timeisluck

Read the threads as they are a good start with regard to the alarm issue. I think imagine may have a cheaper offer......they all use the same network (Telecom) so there is no difference and they are quite a bit cheaper....i've been with them for a while now with no hassle and just taken the new offer of 9.99 per month for 1 Mb but I am getting great speeds from this...

On the alarm bit, you will need a splitter I think, your alarm company should be able to tell you.

I want to be able to go back to BT knowing the facts if possible. Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help in advance.

paflairl:confused:[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

paflairl wrote:
    Talk to your alarm company. If they say that they know what needs to be done and that they will sort everything out for you (you won't be their first customer on DSL), then just tell BT that you don't have a monitored alarm, and go ahead with the order.

BT know that self installation is a little bit more complicated with a monitored alarm, and can't and won't take responsibility for any alarm problems that arise - that's perfectly reasonable. So as long as you're satisfied that your alarm company will sort any problems out, then you don't have to tell BT about the monitored alarm - it's not their problem, and you won't be hassling them about it.

Advertisement