Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three Uk Get Unlock Codes( Do Three Ireland)

• 31-08-2006 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Just got a Phone call from Three Uk saying they now have the Unlock Codes for all there phone incl the 6280...Only thing is if the Unlock code is entered wrong three times it is perm locked to the network and apparently Nokia dont no how to fix the Problem. Just assuming that if Three Uk have the unlock codes Three ireland Would

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Just got a Phone call from Three Uk saying they now have the Unlock Codes for all there phone incl the 6280...Only thing is if the Unlock code is entered wrong three times it is perm locked to the network and apparently Nokia dont no how to fix the Problem. Just assuming that if Three Uk have the unlock codes Three ireland Would
    of course they do. they're lying about not having them. also, nokia put the lock on at the request of the network and they know how to take it off whether you enter the code wrong too many times or not. that's another lie. they made the phone and they know exactly how it works

and if you are given a code that's wrong by your network and hard lock your phone because of it, they should give you a new phone at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

[edit] wrong thread! doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I bought this on Ebay for 110 euro locked to Three Uk as i am living in Uk and just requested the Unlock code with costs 15Pound..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

First 3 Ireland's staff do browse the "3" threads here, a customer care rep told me the managers have asked them to keep an eye to see what people are saying about them and their network. They are not registered and will not reply to anything for obvious reasons.

Second, Three Ireland should have the unlock code generator software/hardware available to them. From what I was told, they received the wrong software from Nokia so they had the software, for their phones, but it was setup for the UK network. Perhaps it would seem that Nokia ship the hardware/software permenantly configured to only generate codes for the network code of the operator that ordered it. They told me that they have a database of codes and they just enter the serial number of the phones in question to get the unlock code, so it is also possible that Nokia are not sending out the software/hardware to anyone to avoid it being leaked like DCT3/4. Instead Nokia probably generate the codes for the serial numbers of all the phones ordered by and locked too 3 and send them to 3 with the phones, this way when a customer wants the unlock code, they just match the serial number of the phone to the right code.

Its likly that in this case, Nokia generated codes for the UK network instead of the Irish network, in which case, 3 are not able to provide the codes as they claim, but the UK network, long established is not in the same position.

I was told that they would have the right codes by September so fingers crossed, my old 6680 will be unlocked, and possibly updated, again, to the generic firmware (the NSC reflashed it to the latest 3 branded firmware <_< when I brought it in to fix an issue).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

First 3 Ireland's staff do browse the "3" threads here, a customer care rep told me the managers have asked them to keep an eye to see what people are saying about them and their network. They are not registered and will not reply to anything for obvious reasons.

If 3 are listening i've one point to make. Get rid of the walled gardens. I will not sign a contract with any company that restricts the full potential of my phone. 3 Portal just doesn't cut it. I use Google an awful lot. Do that and I will sign up, I also know of 2 people with the same mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

If 3 are listening i've one point to make. Get rid of the walled gardens. I will not sign a contract with any company that restricts the full potential of my phone. 3 Portal just doesn't cut it. I use Google an awful lot. Do that and I will sign up, I also know of 2 people with the same mindset.

I agree with you there. Many people need full internet acess from their phones. The phones are well capable of opening any web page and this works well with 3g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Completely agree, only thing keeping me with Vodafone is their lack of unlock and other restrictions imposed by 3 !!!

I'd never join them because they're too restrictive and also because I've heard horror stories of several people sending a text and the recipient getting it about 30 times. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I didn't realise how much I was missing with 3 until I got an E61 on vodafone.

Finally I have all I need, proper email, proper full web-browsing, RSS feeds, blog links, mobile music.... in short the full potential of these phones.

If we pay a premium for these device, which, lets face it, are nowadays a lot more than mere mobile phones, its criminal for a network to cripple the functionality of these devices having paid for their features.
    Some of Three's handsets are not even that keenly priced when compared to some online, SIM free versions of the same phone.

Increasingly, phones now have very capable browsers, wi-fi functionality, rss readers, nokia lifeblog, auto sending of images to flickr accounts etc. Yet a network blocks these features.
    It can only work in the short term. I find that after a year with three, I will certainly not be renewing my contract. Their customer service has always been great, calling them repeatedly has not.

In this fast changing climate of instant interaction with the internet via your mobile, as well as download services aplenty (allofmp3 have a nice mobile app for example) 3 will need to cop on and address this walled garden issue.

When will these companies realise that the Irish mobile market is a very close community, a perfect testbed for new mobile horizons and advancements in mobile technology. That and the fact that four companies are vying for our cash, I would have thought that companies like Hutchinson would dare to be different, or at least market according to demands of the general public in this country.

I have received about 3 calls from "three" in the past year, once to do a survey and the others to ask how the network was doing.
    Each time I implored that this almost archaic (archaic at least in this fast changing telecommunications world!) principle of a walled garden be dropped. I'm sure many others said the same. As a new network in this country the onus is really on them to finally offer services relevant to the public such as cheaper data rates (granted Vodafone have finally copped on to this one with their "unlimited" data plans) etc and make bolder strides into the future.
    Apologies for the rant.
    Rant over.

Second, Three Ireland should have the unlock code generator software/hardware available to them. From what I was told, they received the wrong software from Nokia so they had the software, for their phones, but it was setup for the UK network.
    that may have been true when they told me last august* but it doesn't take a year for a company to change a single number in a piece of software (the network code 27205) and send it again. they can unlock the phones. they're lying

*among many other bullsh*t stories about why they can't unlock the phone

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote:
    I'd never join them because they're too restrictive and also because I've heard horror stories of several people sending a text and the recipient getting it about 30 times. :eek:
    30 if you're lucky. people often get it for days at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

3 Ireland really have to sort out the web access, thats a disgrace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Anyone who has read my posts here, knows that I am a 3 customer, that wont change, they are the best 3G network in the country and when they get their act together, more people will sign up and switch I am sure.

Echoing the sentiments of other posters in this thread,

To the 3 Ireland staff that may be reading this thread:
    Get rid of the pointless walled garden, just do what Vodafone does, charge a certain amount to access the regular internet, even display a notice telling the person they are accessing the regular internet and will be charged. Charge say 3c per KB but no more then 1Eur until the person downloads more than 1Mb, then 1Eur for each additional meg. Dont make decisions for us please, we know that some websites will not work on mobile phones, but then smartphones and PDAs tend to have good browsers that will display normal websites quite well. 3 have nothing to lose from allowing access to the normal internet.

Please do better to inform people that texting foreign networks without roaming agreements with 3, may cause messages to repeat because the foreign network gateways are only open for testing vis a vis Orange and O2 UK.

Unlocking Nokias, I cant speak for everyone else, but when I get a new phone, I ALWAYS get the old one unlocked so that I can sell it to someone and they are then free to use what ever network they want. The sooner you get the Nokia Unlocking problem sorted the better.

Advertisement