Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tiny tiny flies in my garden :(

• 31-08-2006 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

Right, I have MILLIONS of teeny tiny black flies in my garden. They seem to be very attracted to the white PVC of our windows and door which means every time a door or window is opened we get swarmed with these miniscule little sods!

They're literally about the size of a comma ' but they're everywhere!!!!

Any idea what they could be?? And more importantly how to get rid of them :mad:

Thanks,

Deb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I sympathise. I was painting a bedroom not so long ago and I opened a window as it was so hot. When I turned back around these tiny little feckers were doing a kamikaze and flying en mass into the fresh paint so I had to re do it when they were all dead.

So you could try putting fresh paint on the walls as they appear to love flying into it. They'll soon die from the fumes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

LOL We've just redecorated the whole house cuz we're selling up! Maybe we should name the Décor flies.. they seem to like the new interior. Unfortunately quite a few of them go plastered to the freshly painted walls with Raid this afternoon :rolleyes:

I'm just dreading a swarm of the little blighters flying in the door as we're showing the house to potential buyers :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've millions of these too. They are always around the composter. Every now and then one makes it into the house. Inside the composter there are even more of them. I assume its something to do with the composting process.

I'm very bold, I don't compost at all. I've heard horror stories about rats and compost bins:o

We've cleared out the whole back garden and all that's left are two creepers(or the fugly bushes as I call them lol). So other than the white windows I dunno whats attracting them or where they're coming from:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Could they be fruit flies - we had loads earlier this summer, they seem to take a breather right now. Annoying little fe**ers when they are around they are everywhere ...

• Advertisement

No Morgana, they're not fruit flies, I've 'experienced' them already thanks to a rotten spud in the press:o They're less than half the size of fruitflies, they're horrible little things!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Would you not hang one of those ultraviolet fly zappers in the back and just nuke them all? Might need to be cleared out often :D

A200CA.jpg

STaN wrote:
    Would you not hang one of those ultraviolet fly zappers in the back and just nuke them all? Might need to be cleared out often :D

A200CA.jpg

If they're that small they won't be able to touch two wires and get zapped, A bit like sparrows can sit on a power line safely, but albatrosses could touch two wires at once...:D

Advertisement