Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Problems

Options
  • 31-08-2006 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi there,

We are having a serious problem with one of our sites. Here is the history of the problem.

The domain was registered originally with one company. However it was noticed that the site was up and down, and that some users could access the site while others couldn’t and vice versa. My client decided to transfer the domain and hosting to another company. The problem has persisted and despite the changing again of the hosting (including the nameserver change) the problem has not gone away.

The problem is very strange. The site is up and running perfectly I would say 90% of the time. However, sometimes it just dissappears for no apparent reason, and then other times it can be seen by some and not others, which is very worrying. We are losing valuable clients and business and would appreciate your help to resolve this problem as soon as possible.

The following notes should be made:

1. The original site that was up was written in html, while the current site is in asp and is structured completely different, which leads me to believe that it is not a problem with the coding.

2. After consulting with all of the three seperate hosting providers, we were assured that the hosting accounts/servers were always up and ok. The fact that I host 13 websites on the current hosting servers without any problem of this nature leads me to believe that it is not a hosting issue either.

3. After consultation with the current domain registrars they assured me that the nameservers associated with the domain at present are the exact ones as set out by the hosting company.

Having contacted all the parties involved, I have still been unable to find a solution to the problem. The fact that the problem has existed with two different sites, with two different domain registrars, and over three different hosting accounts has left me at a bit of an impass. HAs anyone heard of anything like this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

However, sometimes it just dissappears for no apparent reason, and then other times it can be seen by some and not others, which is very worrying.
    Are there any commonalities in the DNS servers the clients are using to lookup the site? (ie. everyone in the company using the same dns server)
    Tried accessing the site by ip address when it's apparently gone missing?

Have you considered the possibility that the website is haunted? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

try this to check your website dns.
    http://www.blacknight.ie/dns/
    I have had the same issue with one website. It vanished all of a sudden after 4 years. Track the issue down to eircom dns pointin to the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

it does sound like a DNS issue somewhere.
    Try getting users that report being unable to reach the site to ping the hostname and see if they are going to the correct IP.

That might put you on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nogihno

Thanks for your quick replies. It turns out that if the site is down, if you remove the www. it always works. The site is debsball.ie .

when the site is down http://www.debsball.ie cannot be seen, but if you type in http://debsball.ie it always works. However, when talking DNS, arent bot the addresses the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Netsource nameservers have DNS entries for your domain.
    They shouldn't as your nameservers are listed as:
    ns3.secureserver.net
    ns4.secureserver.net

Contact them and have them drop the records provided it is ok to do so.
    That should solve your problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement