Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pictures & places

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Yerbabuena - Calle de Bordadores, 3, 28013, Madrid

I ate here in April in Madrid and it was excellent. Great choice for veggies and vegans. I took a gang of 5 omnis there and they all enjoyed it too. Was good value and the organic wine was yummy!

Bristol
    Has Cafe Kino which is a small cafe serving veggie food and lots of vegan stuff too http://www.cafe-kino.com/index.htm

Cafe Maitreya - a bit fancier than Kino. Has won loads of awards. Have never been there myself but a lot of friends have and they always rave about it!

Tobacco Factory http://www.tobaccofactory.com/
    This is a more pubby place which has a theatre attached. They do a great vegan mezze and one vegan cake. Also has a couple of veggie and one or two vegan dishes on the changing menu. I love it in here and can spend many an hour drinking soya lattes and watching the world go by.

Pizza Express
    Has loads of places all around the UK and their bases are vegan and you can ask for your pizza without cheese. Nearly always on 2 for 1 - check out their website for deals.

Kathmandu
    This indian restaurant is opposite the Colston Hall and they are well aware of what veggies and vegans can have. The waiter we had was great in pointing out all the things I (as a vegan) could have.

Wetherspoons pubs - all around the UK
    Ok not great gourmet food but handy if you are stuck. They have a few veggie options and the vegan ones are as follows

CHILDRENS----Baked Beans
    CHILDRENS----Banana
    CHILDRENS----Orange
    CHILDRENS----Peas
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Bombay Potatoes
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry with extra Poppadums
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Vegetable Samosas
    DELI----Portion Of Chips
    MAIN MEALS----Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Spinach Curry with Extra Poppadums (no naan)
    SIDES----Bowl of Chips
    SIDES----Side Salad without Dressing
    STARTERS & SHARERS----Organic Tomato & Basil Soup without Bread and Butter
    SUNDAY CLUB----Roast Potatoes
    SUNDAY CLUB----Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls
    VALUE MEALS----Spicy Tomato Pasta

This can change though so ask to be sure

Thats all I can think of for now but will update if I remember any more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Peanut wrote: »
    Country Life, Prague - This is a great place for veggies in Prague, a city that's otherwise very lacking (frustratingly so) in non-meat options..

It's situated in a small (but much used) laneway that leads from the old town square up toward Wenceslaus square. Run by 7th day adventists, it's closed on Saturdays. The restaurant section is behind the steet-facing health food shop. (there's another, more take-away oriented branch of country life a bit further away, near Tesco)

Man I LOVE that place, was there last summer, met this lovely mad old hippy wanderer traveller type who spends his life packpacking around the world on whatever bit of money people gave him, I bough him his dinner there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I went to a really good vegan restaurant in Amsterdam called Green Planet, on Spuistraat, not too far from the centre I don't think... It was very small and intimate and nice. The food took a while, but it was worth it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My family went to a little nice family veggie place in Enniskillen, must find out what it was. Looking at these pictures years ago on the thread I was thinking, ewwww. Now they look lovely to me, yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Hello!
    Seeing as I'm currently in Scotland, I thought I'd make some Scottish recommendations if anyone's ever thinking of heading over here...
    I think Stereo in Glasgow (http://www.stereocafebar.com/) was mentioned, on Renfield Lane. I really liked it there, simple food but inexpensive.
    Mono (http://www.monocafebar.com/), it's affiliate, is just down the road from it on Kings Court. It's much bigger, also houses a record shop and the graffiti in the bathroom stalls reads like an epic novel :D Both of these are vegan and are bars and venues in the evening.
    Another place in the West End of Glasgow is Tchai Ovna (http://tchaiovna.com/), a tea house that does veggie food also, but it's tea menu is much longer! Attached a picture (my flickr limit is full).
    I think Glasgow is better for vegetarian food than Edinburgh, but there's a couple of good places. Hendersons on Hanover Street (http://www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk/) is the oldest established vegetarian restaurant in Scotland I believe. It has 3 sections, a shop and deli, a restaurant and a bistro. It's a bit more expensive than others but the food is good. Had an interview there but I didn't get the job!
    On the other side of the city is Susie's Diner on the end of West Nicolson Street. It's pretty simple food but it's cheap and there seems to be a merry bunch of regulars. They do a good sweet and sour tofu.
    Near to there is The Forest (http://www.theforest.org.uk/) which is a volunteer run café, art space and free shop. The food is nice but it's always busy. There's two computers with free internet also.
    Across the road from The Forest there's a takeway called El Falafel which, predictably, does really good falafel! In a pitta with as much salad and sauce as you want for £2.75.
    There's an Indian takeaway in Canonmills called Eastern Spices which has lots of vegetarian options and is quite reasonably priced.
    As for health food shops, Real Foods (http://www.realfoods.co.uk/) is probably my favourite health food shop ever! Lots of stuff and very reasonably priced. And there's two of them :) one on Broughton Road, one on Brougham Street... I think.
    It gets harder to get vegetarian food the further up north you go and if you're vegan it's probably almost impossible! I was living on beans and toast in bed and breakfasts when I went up there. Worth it for the highland scenery though!
    Think that's all I have to say on the Scottish vegetarian experience... Oh, a lot of places offer veggie haggis but I'm too scared to try it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love Scotland, thanks for info. They have such random veggie haggis, it can taste like anything. Look forward to going back to Edinburgh.

My family went to a little nice family veggie place in Enniskillen, must find out what it was. Looking at these pictures years ago on the thread I was thinking, ewwww. Now they look lovely to me, yum yum.

Want this info pronto. Going to Enniskillen Wednesday and don't fancy more food posioning.

Um I sent my sister off to the post office to get me an envelope, like a good woman, so I'll ask her when she gets back.

Ok she said that it's not 100% veggie, just had a great range of veggie/vegan options with the owner(Flo) knowing a lot about different diets. It's a little place called Flo's restaurant I think, is just set up.

Address could possibly be, from a quick google:
    Flo's Restaurant, 16 Townhall Street, Enniskillen
    Telephone: 028 6632 6880

Let me know if it is good as she says!
    had planned on going up there myself one day driving, but doesn't look like it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Following on from DonnieScribbles I'd like to add my thoughts on the Glasgow spots. I'm currently sitting in Stereo, which I vote as my favourite vegan cafe in Glasgow. :D It's classy, with bright colours, a perfect atmosphere with the music and very nice staff. The meals all look delicious, but I just tried one, so far (and am currently waiting on grilled banana and mango sorbet dessert). I tried out Mono for desserts and meals over the past two days and found it a lot more... studenty. The service was a little disappointing the last day, but the staff member the day before was very kind, so I guess it might have just been a not so great day yesterday. A lot of the things on the menu contain spices (not a fan) and some of the stuff you would be able to make better yourself. The 13th Note was more on the studenty-pub side and you can be guaranteed pasta/lasagne/pizza type (vegan) food there. Good in the fact that it's vegan, but it's average, pub food. Again, there is something special about getting an average type meal but vegan :) All of the above have free Wifi if you are dining/drinking with them. Oh, and all three have bars :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Following on from DonnieScribbles I'd like to add my thoughts on the Glasgow spots. I'm currently sitting in Stereo, which I vote as my favourite vegan cafe in Glasgow. :D It's classy, with bright colours, a perfect atmosphere with the music and very nice staff. The meals all look delicious, but I just tried one, so far (and am currently waiting on grilled banana and mango sorbet dessert). I tried out Mono for desserts and meals over the past two days and found it a lot more... studenty. The service was a little disappointing the last day, but the staff member the day before was very kind, so I guess it might have just been a not so great day yesterday. A lot of the things on the menu contain spices (not a fan) and some of the stuff you would be able to make better yourself. The 13th Note was more on the studenty-pub side and you can be guaranteed pasta/lasagne/pizza type (vegan) food there. Good in the fact that it's vegan, but it's average, pub food. Again, there is something special about getting an average type meal but vegan :) All of the above have free Wifi if you are dining/drinking with them. Oh, and all three have bars :)

Yay, Stereo! That makes me want to get a bus to Glasgow just to go there... Their soup and sandwich deal for £5.50 is really good, if they still do that. I had Spinach and Pea soup there which was delicious and a wheat ball wrap which was also delicious.
    Yeah, Mono has a different feel to it, but I'd say I'd be more likely to sit there longer. The staff were very nice when I was there.
    I think I missed The 13th Note, will have to try it next time :)
    If you're still in Glasgow you chould check out Tchai Ovna if you haven't been there before, they have some vegan food, but if you're not that into tea then maybe not! It's really near the Botanical Gardens though, and they're lovely!

Couldn't resist, am back in Stereo for another meal :) I read about Tchai Ovna on Happy Cow but I think I decided not to venture that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Peanut wrote: »
    La Salsa, Galway -
    (Mary Street, turn right at AIB/Lynch's castle when coming from Eyre square).

This isn't a vegetarian restaurant as such, however I don't think there is one in Galway city, and the Mexican theme in this place gives a good scope for veggie options.

237088376_9b61b4074b.jpg

Service is either eat-in or takeaway, there are about 5 or 6 tables in a brightly decorated, but slighty sticky feeling, upstairs room.

It seems like this place may be popular with the local student population..

237088378_0f43547bcc_b.jpg

(there's an impressive attention to detail with the 'cheese included' under the veg. burrito heading., they even have a vegan burrito.)

237088379_9a2ffa6e8e.jpg

The veg. burrito was big, tasty, and very filling, even if served a tad cooler than I would have liked. Still, it was a welcome break from the more traditional Galway food establishments, i.e. Supermacs.
    The chips were chunky and quite tasty also

+1 on La Salsa. The vegan burrito was really nice, but would have fed two people. The chips were nice and chunky, but buried under a ton of salt. Nice, just ask for no salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Xandrius

I was asked if I could write a bit about vegetarism in Norway and sure that is not a problem, vegetarism is not very big i Norway but still bigger than some countries in Europe. I will say there is about 150-200000 vegetarians and vegans in Norway, and there is about 5 milions people all together so we have some veggies but not far as many as sweden. In Oslo there is about 4-5 vegetarian resturants that only serve vegetarian food, the first veggie restaurant was started back in 1938 and was sold this summer to a new owner and they have changed the setting a bit but its still a veggie place and they also have vegan food. This one is called Vega and you can find pics and info here http://vegafairfood.no/. I think all the webpages I will put down here is in Norwegian but they have some nice pictures if you are interested. Another veggie place is the Krishnas Kitchen http://www.krishnas-cuisine.no/hXGYCTwZrUW-.4.idium I dont know to much about them, but they have food for vegans also and are considered one of the cheapest places to eat in Oslo. A new place in Oslo is called Persilleriet, this is a place that first started out in Trondheim that is opening a new restaurant in Norway very soon, this I dont know to much about either but I know from friends in Trondheim that they have nice food there http://www.persilleriet.no/?id=ide. The most famous restaurant or cafe is located in the Blitz house, this is maybe because Blitz is considered a gang of violent rebels that only want to make trouble for the norwegian police, but I think there are alot of nice people in their group and they also have great connections with an animal rights group I was in, their page you can have in english also http://www.blitz.no/. I have never eaten there but if you can collect a mercedes star from a car and deliver it in the cafe you will get a free meal so that is pretty nice :D
    Other places worth mentioning is Helios, they serve some meat in their cafe but 50% of their menu is veggie and they also have a shop where they sell vegetarian food http://www.helios.no/?CatId=1447. Also a kebab place called Carmel that is close to the central station is worth mentioning because they have the BEST falafel in the whole world, Im pretty sure :)
    Dont have website for them but just ask around the central station and you will get directions. There is also a kiosk just outside of the central station that sell tofu burgers and hot dogs, this is where all the drug dealers are hanging so it is a very weird place to sell veggie food. Other than this there are many veggie shops and the animal rights groups often have free vegan food on the street. But of course Norway is very expencive so all the veggie shops are not cheap :mad:
    More and more regular shops and shopping centers are selling veggie food also because they can see that there is a market for it, but the longer out of the cities you get less veggie food you will find. Anything else you like to know about vegetarism in Norway feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I really should apologise for this, I was actually in Switzerland about 6 weeks ago, I pretty much forgot to talk about these restaurants till now. :o.
    First is the Haus Hiltl, a one hundred year old vegetarian restaurant in the middle of Zurich.
    The food here was awesome. There is two options for eating, a proper restaurant setup with waiters, or the cafe setup, where everthing is laid out buffet style. I only ate from the buffet section, were you take the food yourself and pay by the weight at the tills.
    14946338a11703272214l.jpg
    Every dish is clearly labeled as to wether its vegan, vegetarian, suitable for lactose intollerent diest, coeliacs etc. They have a great selection too, from breakfast cerials to curries, from falafels to salads and soups, with my favourite being the samosas and tomato filled pastries (on the left:
    14946338a11703326352l.jpg.)
    The other restaurant is called Tibits, and we need to get one of these here in Ireland.
    Its a similar set up to Haus Hiltl, a buffet where you pay for the ffod by the weight (no restaurant with waited tables though), with everything fully labeled as veggie, vegan, etc. and an equally wide selection of food. Whats great about Tibits is not only is it open in Zurich, Bern (beside the trainstation) and the uk, but it is always looking for new locations. If we can find a place suitable for them, we can get a Tibits opened in Ireland!

so jealous and hungry :)

Agreed. Looks delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Aoifums wrote: »
    +1 on La Salsa. The vegan burrito was really nice, but would have fed two people. The chips were nice and chunky, but buried under a ton of salt. Nice, just ask for no salt.

Great to see pics of La Salsa - back in my own student days it was The Home Plate and offered massive portions. It also offered the first Vegetarian Brunch I ever ate... Huevos Rancheros, refried beans... Delish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Cafe Paradiso, which has been my favorite Vegetarian Restaurant in this country for many years didn't manage to escape the damage on Cork last weekend as can be seen here http://cafeparadiso.ie/blog/paradiso-under-water. To make matters worse, they had only finished refurbishing the place during the summer. Hopefully Denis and staff can get up an running asap. Any Boardsie Vegetarians (or non) heading to Cork should make a point of supporting this restaurant as it is in my opinion one of the best there is anywhere on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

Greent Gourmet - Newtown, Sydney (Aus). (Having trouble with the pictures I took at the moment)

An awesome vegan restaurant. They have a huge selection, including plenty of mock meat meals. You can order off the menu or go with the buffet, which is much better value. For lunch on Saturday and Sunday they do yum cha. It's not the most health oriented restaurant around, and you will find a decent amount of deep fried and greasy foods, but if you want to indulge your taste buds then green gourmet is the place to go. Vegan's Choice is located next door, where you can buy a lot of the food that is available at Green Gourmet - spring rolls, curry puffs etc. They also sell great tofu ice cream and vegan chocolate.. and vegan nougat.. and I want ot go there now!

The Naked Espresso Cafe and Burgerlicious are on the same street and also have a good vego selection. There are a few other Thai vegetarian restaurants on that street that I never tried, but it was great to be in a place with so many vegan options. Newtown has a great vibe, but be prepared to be asked for change or to sign up to something or donate to something regularly when walking down the street. I love Newtown.

In the city of Sydney there is a Govinda's restaurant/movie theatre, which I found to be good but not spectacular. There are also two Peace Harmony restaurants, and my mouth is watering thinking about them :) Both restaurants (one small and one big) have a good food selection at reasonable prices, the 'chicken' skewers with satay sauce are perfect. There are also pro-vegan quotes hanging on the walls in both restaurants. A good place to hang out with friends and enjoy a good meal.

In Ireland I have only eaten in Cafe Fresh in the Powescourt Centre, which is a great little spot, and Govindas off Henry street. I prefer the food in the Irish Govindas over the Govindas in Sydney. There are a few other places I hope to check out as soon as I have the money :(

• Advertisement

Recently I was able to scout out a few of the veggie restaurants in London. I did spend a lot of time reading up on them on the Happy Cow website before going, in order to find the ones closest to me, and those which had the greatest vegan choice (all of the food which I tried was vegan). Plus, it being my first time in London, I had to get my head around the locations…

First I tried Zilli Green (41 Dean Street, Soho, London W1D 4PY). This vegetarian restaurant was only opened in February in 2010, so the premises is very modern and stylish. The menu (which you can download from their website) lists what is vegan, or that which can be altered to be vegan, as well as gluten-free and nut-free options. I ordered Tagliatelle, Porcini Mushrooms with White Truffle Oil, a Zillicious cocktail from their cocktail menu and a Tropical Fruit and Lemon Cake served with Homemade Ice Cream; all quite delicious! Be warned, they add a 12.5% gratuity charge, so be ready for that bill.
    121788.jpg
    121789.jpg
    121790.jpg
    Now, I did go in at 3pm that time, off-peak and plenty of seats. I returned another day at 8pm and there was no space. So if you are hoping to go for dinner I would recommend you book in advance.

Another day I was able to fit in a Tirimisu from Zilli’s.
    121791.jpg

Next I went to Tibits (12-14 Heddon Street, off Regent Street, London W1B 4DA). This vegetarian restaurant is buffet style; you pick up a plate when you go in, take what you want from the “food boat” and pay by weight (per 100g). You also get a free small bread roll with your meal, which is a nice touch. The “food boat” has two levels; the top level holds dishes of hot main courses and sides; the bottom level holds salads and other cold dishes, as well as salad dressings, all surrounded in ice to keep them cool. All dishes are labeled vegan, contains nuts, contains gluten etc. I picked up some of the vegan dishes to try – note the beer battered onion rings! It’s been too long!!
    121793.jpg
    121794.jpg

I also stopped by Beatroot for some dessert (92 Berwick Street, Soho, London, W1F OQD). They are a budget vegetarian restaurant and they have a similar system to tibits, but where you pay for the size of take-away box of food. I admit I didn’t take a good look at the hot food as I was too busy being amazed that all the cakes (about 6 of them of display) were vegan; they even did a fancy rice-crispie bun! If you look at their menu online you see that many of the main dishes are vegan, including sausage rolls! Lovely people running the place, and very informal. I notice from their website that they are very eco-friendly (sell water In biodegradable plastic bottles, use paper cartons made from sustainable managed forests) and they buy their ingredients from the local market, supporting the local traders.
    121801.jpg

On the way to Beetroot I passed Mildred’s Vegetarian Restaurant. They have a full set of menus on their website if you want to take a look. I see they also have a range of vegetarian beers. I went back another day to try out the food. I got the burger of the day, which happened to be butterbean, beetroot and carrot; yum!
    121802.jpg

Mildred’s also have a sister cake shop called Mrs Marengo’s (53 Lexington Street London W1F 9AS). They do a range of cakes including vegan ones (see below). I also hear that their vegan truffles are rather good.
    121803.jpg

There is also a health food store off Regent Street;Wholefoods Market (69-75 Brewer Street, London, UK W1F 9US UK). It many food items downstairs, and upstairs there was a wide range of pantry foods, as well as toiletries and vitamins. Nice and big with a great selection.

Finally, if you are vegan and stuck for something healthy and quick to eat, Tesco and Sainsbury’s supply (at least two) vegan ready made sandwiches made by fresh!.

There are plenty more vegetarian restaurants and healthfood stores listed on the Happy Cow; the ones above are only the ones I managed to visit during my short stay in London.

I'm drooling after that last post sweet-rasmus! Butterbean, beetroot and carrot burger! What was the relish with that?

Not sure what was on the burger, but it was served with a delicious salad cream, perhaps with avocado. They change their burger every day... I can't imagine what could be better than this one! Lovely service too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Was in Barcelona for the weekend and tried out a vegan place called Juicy Jones which is just off La Rambla.

Looks like a juice bar from the front but they have a seating area at the back with about 10 tables.

They have a menu of the day deal for €8.50 where you can choose a starter, main, dessert and a drink. There was a choice of 4 mains. We went there twice and I had gazpacho, seitan kebabs with a satay sauce, chocolate cake and a glass of organic white wine.

The second time I had hummous, spinach and tofu empanada thing with tamerind sauce and lemon cookies with a apple and carrot juice.

The service was a little slow but the food was great and service friendly and English speaking.

I would recommend this place as its totally vegan and in such a handy place.

We also had a few tapas lunches in random bars where I managed to have a apple and pomegranate salad, garlic and tomato bread which was lovely (and of course plates full of olives mmmmm)

I didnt take any pics as I was too hungry to get my camera out - sorry!

Sounds delicious :) Nyom nyom nyom

Fine dining in liverpool, egg cafe, students union bar, kimos restaruant.

Spicy bean burger!

179875_129507487117671_100001752604378_161965_3447675_n.jpg

Tandoori mushrooms!

180956_129507517117668_100001752604378_161966_4899062_n.jpg

Mediterranean breakfast!

182658_129507847117635_100001752604378_161976_144001_n.jpg

Veggie breakfast!

182211_129507877117632_100001752604378_161977_2009206_n.jpg

I-Scream faces!

rotaty.jpg

didnt take pix of most the food because we had eaten it so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Fine dining in Liverpool sugacane restaurant >_>

candy_1.jpg

everything you see there is veggie friendly (save for that pesky mini stinger bar at the top)..... gobstoppers, flying saucers, jazzles, all kinds of jellies (those sugar-coated strawberry ones so good), cola cubes, GIANT parma violets, lollies, dipbags, those sweets that have the tattoo on the wrapper! Amazing place!

Thought this would be the best place to post this:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2011/0514/1224296640254.html

Starts out as an odd review but comes good towards the end. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

want to try there!

Advertisement